Options

London Marathon - Runners & Supporters 2008

Comments

• Options

The balloons needed to be tied in a group 1) the string ran out giving individual string to each balloon and 2) the balloons blew horizontally obscuring view

But as has been stated these are merely constructive comments for another year image

• Options

Next year we need a balloon chief image

• Options
    and some bouncers
  • Options

What about tying balloons to the lamp post that was behind us?  Course we'd need the less vertically challenged amongst us to get them at a decent height!!

• Options

The balloon situation was complete chaos.  Ideally (for next year... you live and learn kind of thing) this should be done way before runners come past us... because by the time we got the balloons people were already busy supporting/cheering...

Stuff like that is best done when it's quiet...

• Options

Like I said to Barly - just being on the other side of the road would make a MASSIVE difference. You can't see the RW group at all until you actually get there.  Great warning sign earlier on  down the road though.  Also, definitely agree that wearing same colour tops would make you more visible.

Great job by all RW supporters - I was running for Help the Hospices but despite having 4 cheering points I only spotted one of them on the whole course.  The most visible supporters were Heart Runners, Marie Curie and Whizz Kids.  Lots and lots of balloons and colour co-ordination going on.

• Options

Well I thought you guys were amazing. I knew where you were (just before mile 17 on the left - look for the sign and balloons) and found you easily. It really helped that I knew the girls in my group - I didn't see anyone else but it was over in a flash - just a quick hug and I was off. Knowing you lot were there literally kept me going through my darkest (and wettest) hour.

I agree that same colour tshirts are easy to spot. I recommend yellow. image But if it rains everyone will be hidden by macs anyway so whatever.

Fantastic work. Thank you all a million. image

• Options

Link to my pictures is here

I had a fabulous day and have been struggling to speak today due to lack of voice!

I've entered the ballot for next year but if I'm not running I'll DEFO be supporting again!

Met some really ace people

• Options

what about RW organising some of those bangy air stick things that the charities have?  we nicked other peoples, blue and yellow ones of them woudl stand out

• Options
    Thanks to everyone.

Had a brilliant time supporting at 17M and at Chandos afterwards.
  • Options
    Hello - here's a link to my photo's - hopefully it works...!! image
  • Options

The other side of the road is much better, easier to access room to go for a stretch in the park, right side of the road for Asda, Island Gargenbs DLR is a 2 minute walk across the park, people can watch the runners even the slower ones go through Greenwich and then get to the site without having to run across in front of the people already passing..........

And it is nearer home for KayVee and me

• Options
    X-KKDX-KKD ✭✭✭

He he!!  Loon I KNEW you loved those bam bams!  ;--)

Thanks to Barley for all the organisation.  Top job!  If you want RW t- shirts next year (and if RW Towers can't supply them) I'd be happy to design some and get them made - so long as I get loads of notice.

Thanks again.  I had a great time supporting and got to meet lots of new faces at Chandos. (Hello Joe)

• Options

Yeah - the other side of the road makes sense.  Those charity peeps that took up part of our spot told me they got there at 7:30!!  No matter how much I begged and pleaded and explained about runners needing to stop to collect gels/bananas/drinks etc they wouldn't budge.  They said they were the "official charity" and their runners were expecting them to be there too. 

<grumblegrumblegrumble> image

Ah well, still had a great time and lovely to meet you all! image

• Options

Im sure you did all you could, I guess they had as much right to be there as us so at least we had some room.

Securing the spot is always my biggest concern, I always have thoughts of turning up to find that Charity xyz has nabbed the whole of the railings and we have to relocate on the spur of the moment. 

The pedestrian crossing is always popular, I guess as its an easy landmark.  This year and last year there was a charity position on the other side too.

Perhaps with the help of Gatton, maybe RW and potentially FLM (or whatever theyre soon to be rebranded) we can get our area officially taped off in future?

• Options

BB,

can i say many thanks for setting this up, you and the others put in lots of time and very obviously lots of effort.

One word.............GREAT!image

cheers mate.

• Options

Thank you, and to everyone else expressing thanks.  I must say its a real team effort by all those who come along, im just the loud one who posts a lot. 

Its a real pleasurethough, supporting is such a rewarding and fun experience I recommend it to anyone as a great day out.  Its especially good becasue of all the wonderful people that are there (supporters and runners).

• Options

that man was a bit grumpy wasn't he?

I had a great day, it was fantastic to meet so many new people, thanks everyone!

And carl, if i were you i'd be printing out these nice things that people are saying about your organisational skills image

• Options
    Thanks to everyone who organised this. It was fantastic. Really appreciated it. Love you allimage
  • Options
    oxymoron wrote (see)

that man was a bit grumpy wasn't he?

I had a great day, it was fantastic to meet so many new people, thanks everyone!

And carl, if i were you i'd be printing out these nice things that people are saying about your organisational skills image

I dont't know what you mean.. image
  • Options

It took a while for that git to budge. I was waiting for him to turn around and throttle me for blowing the whistle straight in his direction.

I really enjoyed the day. Two other thoughts for next year
    - More people to bring oranges as they were really popular. Think people got a bit sick of all the jelly babies.
    - If someone takes their name off bringing something, a ? should replace it so someone else knows they need to step in. This is why we were short of yarn.... 

• Options

Oranges are very popular... they're also very heavy! image  But having said that ....  the fast peeps dont stop for anything and by the time people take stuff from up we can go to ASDA and back... only a short walk....

• Options
    True.... I didn't have far to travel though so could have thrown a few bags in my backpack... 
  • Options
    Just got in. Thanks for all the support. Might see you next year!
  • Options

Many thanks to all you lovely supporters. I was too tired to stop and chat for long, I was just too intent on keeping going.

See you next year - either running or supporting image

• Options

Hi guys, thank you all so very muchly for the support on Sunday.  It really helped having you lot to look forward to at mile 17. 

Re the t-shirts thing, RW were supposed to be doing them for Luton last December and we're still waiting - so don't hold your breath for next year's marathon image

That's a thought - did anyone actually win the competition?

Anyhow, thank you all from the bottom of my trainers image

• Options

Thank you ALL.  I echo an earlier comment that the sign 200 metres ahead of the actual group gave me ample warning that a (hug) was forthcoming and irrespective of balloons and whatever else, it was easy to identify the various groups. 

THANK YOU and will be behind the railings next year if I dont get into via ballot!

• Options
    smalldogsmalldog ✭✭✭
    I saw the 100m to the RW forum point near mudchute but then nothing?! I couldnt spot you guys and was looking out for you, where you conspicuous?