Options

Brathay Windermere Marathon

Comments

• Options

Afternoon all

Morgs-Hows your injury? Better I hope.

Back from Dumfries marathon yesterday.First half of the race was nice and sunny,one or two hills.Last half was a cold head wind.Bloody freezing,one or two hills again.Spent a lot of time running alone,there was only 80-100 people running on the day.Great race,well organised,marshalled.Cracking soup and tea at the finish.Should get more publicity and runners.Got round in 4hr27mns.Very happy with that.image

• Options

Getting there Mick...plenty of rest and lots of ice seems to be doing the trick...going to give it another day or so and then try a couple of miles.

Well done yesterday btw

• Options

Well done Mick.

Sounds good progress Morgs I hope.

Did Guiseley Gallop 10k trail on Sunday - changed couse due to some weather issues, twice round the woods and up a bl**dy steep hill, treachorous footing with mud, stones and water, great run for masochists !  Just checked results and came 140th this yr compared to 267th last year so either the course change suited me or I am actually getting better !

Easy 9m on canal towpath today to loosen the legs up.  Slight issue still in left lower calf but I think a slow recouperation will sort it.

• Options

Morning All

I'm up for this as a 5hr hobble as somehow I have messed up my diary and seem to be doing High Peak the day before image.

Anyone else silly enough to make the same mistake .

• Options
    I met a chap on Trollers Trot doing the double as well - so you're not alone. Hobble or not, a double is quite a feat in my books !
  • Options

WP...sounds like quite a challenging race you had there...congrats on your placing!

Blimey Joe...as WP says...that is quite a feat!...I wish you all the best of luck with it!!

Foot feels like it is on the mend (fingers crossed!)...but I'm not sure what to do with my training plan...I dont think it will be wise to just take up where I left off...but if I drop it back a couple of weeks my maximum long run will be about 18 miles...will this be enough?...I'm quite prepared to focus on just getting round rather than on a particular time...also if my plan asks for say a 2 miler & a 6 miler in the week...would I be better off for the next couple of weeks to split the longer one into a couple of shorter ones...so overall I still actually run the same mileage but do it in shorter 'hits' as it were...hope that make sense?

• Options

I think you are probably right not to pick straight back up after injury - but then maybe see how things go for a couple of weeks and could perhaps accellerate at a later stage ?  Not sure about splitting the 6 miler, I don't think two short one's at 2 or 3 miles will do much for you.

But I'm not an expert !

• Options

WP...I'd never thought about accelerating (within reason of course!) at a later stage...It could be an idea...was thinking the same as you re splitting the longer run in the week...but I thought I would throw the question in anyway and see what everyone thought.

• Options

Hello all!

God I've been lost without my internet, it's taken me a good half hour or so to catch up on all these postings! My ex has cancelled my broadband (which he kindly paid for a year) & I've been so busy at work I haven't had time to keep in touch!

Morgs - I'd go very careful if I were you. As you know I've had this ITBS thing & couldn't run for 3 weeks, then did the Fleet half mara last weekend & I haven't been able to run again yet. Ran about 10 metres to my front door yesterday & it really hurt & I can only just walk up stairs. I'm way behind my training plan & the longest run I've done (other than the half last week) is a 9 mile run/walk! Doomed I am, Doomed  image

Wharfy / Janie - My shoes are already 1/2 size too big for that very reason. I will google running places & have another fitting.....when I can actually run long enough for them to test me!

Dave - soooooooo know what you mean (about the Oasis thing). I've been single for a year now & it's been grrrrrrrrrreat!  image ...........starting to consider my options now though  image

I got my number a few weeks ago, I'll have to go check what number it is when I eventually leave this godforsakin place! .......533 rings a bell though

• Options

Anyone have any advise on how to tackle this as I am planning on running White Peak in about 4-5hrs and Brathay in similar if possible.

My normal mara time would be about 3:30 is this realistic.

• Options
    if you've got a good bike
  • Options

MM - sorry I was hoping for serious advise on training , from people who had been there and done it.

Not posted 30 odd times sorry if I have dismissed you out of hand ,but oh well.

• Options

Meow!...I was wondering where you had got to...sorry to hear your ITBS is still giving you jip...if its any consolation my longest training run has been 12 miles...I still have the (probably deluded!) belief that there is still time to 'bring it back' as it were...dont panic! image

lol Mike!

• Options

Janie - Shoes - I've never found they need much breaking in, I think that tends to apply more to leather footwear which moulds to the shape of your feet. The textile & rubber stuff in running shoes is designed more to keep its original shape and flex to accomodate various shaped feet. But then I always buy the same make & model so all this might be pointless rambling.

At least the rain was warmer this morning, and the permafrost in the forest was turning into swamp. Ah spring.

• Options

Joe 

have a look here, might point you towards some fellow hard core -ites

http://www.brathaychallenge.com/

• Options

JH - more than I've ever done I'm afraid.

Meow - good to see you back, hope the legs recover quickly.

JT - I haven't plotted it on a calendar but looks like you are full on there - I would suggest a short week somewhere in the middle to allow legs to recover.  Maybe the 13 instead of one 19 may be best - but I think key element is to see how you feel and listen to your body.  I bought new shoes a month prior to Snowdonia Mara last year and they were fine, I had only done 1 long run in them in that last period as went off-road for one of my 20 milers.

SM - come in your time is up !!???"?>!> image

• Options

Janie...if its any help...I bought a new pair of shoes about 3 weeks before running a half...they were absolutely fine...not a hint of a blister.

Have had a look at rejigging my training plan...looks like my long run will hit 18...(possibly 20 depending on how I'm feeling)...with a fortnight left to taper...panic over!!

• Options

There is somebody still out there then...was starting to worry!

Good news on the foot front...I think the icing has (fingers crossed!) done the trick...its feeling much better...went to see doc today...mentioned my foot...she examined it...she said she couldnt find anything untoward going on...am going to do a little 'test' plod tomorrow.

• Options

Morning off work. Gym or mud, gym or mud. Oh spring where art thou...........

• Options

Mud - all the way.(Follow me follow, down to the hollow, where we can wallow in glorious etc....)

Off to Windy today to drive round the course for a recce.  Was going to run part of it but couldn't work out what to do with the kids and it is persisting it down.

Do you think SM has got drowned in mud or lost on the fells ?

• Options
    ANYONE KNOW IF THERES ANY PLACES LEFT IN THIS????
  • Options

Mike...I personally would have opted for the mud option...what did you do in the end?

WP...very exciting!...let us know what you make of it...I'm particularly interested in the erm...undulations image...I reckon as you have already suggested... SM has indeed got lost on the fells...its possible he has been scuppered by a muddy bog...and then drowned because he couldnt get his arms out of his long sleeved jacket that was done up at the back in time to haul himself out? image

Shortnginger...have you checked the online entry thingy on here...I would have thought that would say iif it was full.

Good news on the foot front...went for my test plod this morning...2.4 miles...not a hint of any jip on the way round...or straight after...which was my problem last week...I think the rest/ice has sorted it...still going to err on the side of caution tho as just my heel is a tiny touch stiff now.

• Options

Sounds like caution is the watchword Morgs.

Undulations.  Well, there's like lots of them.  But some quite flattish bits too.  Didn't like the hill around 8 miles ish - not too long but  steep little b'stard.  The third quartile looks hard work (up from Newby Bridge) - think I'll aim to take it slow.  There's then the stinger around mile 22 - again it's not miles long but it'll feel like it at that stage !  I guess the good thing is that generally speaking for every uphill there's then a downhill to recover.  Lovely scenery, hope there's not much traffic on the second quartile - quite narrow roads with no pavement.

Got accom sorted in Ambleside as well so feeling ready now on that front - few more miles to do on the fitness side image

• Options

Good recce you had there WP...sounds like it wont be a dull and boring run...and mine will be a slow run anyway

Glad to hear your accommodation is sorted...I'm at the hall...decided to stay 2 nights...and get the train

Still no sign of SM then?

• Options

Ground control to Major Tom..........?????????????? wots that bright light falling to the Earth? is it a bird ? is it a plane?.........no its Arnold Schwartznigger in the nude.......YUUKKKK  image

Hello peoples I am touched that you missed me image..................or maybe it was hopeful expectation on your part?

Ah well tough `cos here I am.

Morgs and Meeow I hope you are getting better fast I will send you good kharma image.

Glad to see you guys are keeping up the good work.

How ya doin` Wharfy?......getting the miles in I see.

My longest run so far is 14.67 mile trail/fell on Easter Monday and that`s more than I did last year so I wouldn`t worry too much about missing a couple of longies.........but I don`t do formal training like long runs and tapering so don`t take too much notice of SM ...........I`m just trying to comfort Morgs and Meeow.

ps. Since you were taking the piss out of SM you might like to know I DID fall in a load of mud.

• Options

SM!...you're back!...image...we were starting to think something 'untoward' had happened to you!...you got out of the mud ok then image...good kharma received btw...ta very muchly...image

• Options

It`s a pleasure to be of assistance Morgs image

Thanks for caring about SM`s welfare. image