Options

steroid injection into peroneal tendon sheath

After over a year of physios, three consultants, an MRI and two ultrasound scans I think I finally have a diagnosis for the pain in the side of my ankle - steroid injection into the peroneal tendon sheath has at least temporarily got rid of the pain:) Yipee... (at least so far...) Main purpose of injection was diagnostic but orthopod says it may get rid of it for good - if I'm lucky! Next step is more physio to try and sort out whatever is causing it.

What I want to know is - has anyone else had this - or any similar tendon prob treated by steroid injection into the tendon sheath - and what happened long-term?

Comments

• Options
    ooh I'm curious about this too

<taps fingers and waits patiently!>
  • Options
    Hi Scoobs. Di I remember rightly that your prob is achilles? Or is it peroneal too? Two consultants thought my pain was due to achilles but current one thinks its not (seems to be confirmed by effect of peroneal injection)
  • Options

Hi 'Sluggie

I have been having problems with my ankle for about 18 months too, I had my bunion done and ever since pain/swelling.

Doctor originally thought it was tendonitis then they thought maybe scar tissue that built up when foot in pot from operation.  I had MRI and the only thing they found was bursitis.  Anyway tried everything, resting, stretching, no running, acupucture, bowen, seen physio, orthotics.  After a period of stretching loads (3 to 4 times a day) and the bowen it seemed to be getting better.  Then it got worse again  aaaaah!!!!!

So yesterday I decided to run on the treadmill because I have done everything else and alot of the runners on here carry on running.  So I am waiting to see.

Anyway the reason for me answering this thread was because I have been offered a cortizone injection not in tendon as my GP won't do that but somewhere near the pain, not sure where.  But I have heard this really painful so was leaving it as a last resort. 

How was yours???

Regards

Jo

• Options

Jo, I really feel for you, it's horrible not having a diagnosis, or having the wrong one. And expensive to pay for all the different physios, tec etc.

The steroid injection was not really painful. Doc explained that is because it was done into the space between the tendon sheath and the tendon itself (injection into a space hurts less than injection into a structure). Plus the injection included a bit of local anaesthetic.

Your GP is right not to inject into tendon itself as apparently that can cause rupture. You don't say which tendon is affected - from my research it seems that very few docs will inject into Achilles sheath as they are very worried about potential for rupture (even though sheath is safer than tendon).They seem much more  OK about injecting sheath of peroneal tendons. My doc said that rupture was a 'theoretical possibility' but that he hadn't encountered it.

Are you happy about your GP doing it? Mine was done by orthopaedic surgeon. I don't know how easy it is to do it by 'feel' and make sure you don't go into the tendon itself - I would imagine it depends on the doc's experience.

• Options
    Hi there I have what sounds like the same injury , pain in outer ankle bone made worse when stepping off my toes so to speak . I’ve just had a ultrasound that confirms fluid around the peroneal tendon sheath and tendons , I’ve just been injected I’m praying this can be the cure . How did you get on after your injection did it cure it ? I found this on google sorry it’s 10 years late