Options

Tour of Torfaen Half Marathon

who is up for this one. every chance of a p.b. better than the cardiff half and a lot cheaper.....

Comments

• Options

I'm planning on doing this one. Did a pb at Bristol yesterday, would be nice to have another pb next month too!

I hear it's all downhill?

• Options
    More has been said about it on this thread
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=110909&last=1&V=6&SP=

First half is downhill. Couple of uphill bits between 6 and 8. Then mostly flat from there (with a couple of railway crossing sized bridges to get over).

But don't let that fool you - it's still 13.1 miles long.
  • Options

Thanks wilde rover, see you on that thread.

• Options
    i think i'll give this one a go then - hope the hills between 6 and 8 aren't too steep!!!!
  • Options
    Ahhh, I am planning to do this too... just going to see that other thread...
  • Options
    Katie, the hill between 6.5 and 7 is just a gentle pull; the hill at 8 is just a short sharp climb over a road bridge.  By far the worst 'hill' is the in the last mile, where you climb ever so gently to the back entrance into Cwmbran Stadium - and then have to do a lap and a half of that darned track!  The spring in the track surface does give your blistered feet a bit of relief though.  But as Wilde Rover said - it's still 13.1 miles and you will hurt!
  • Options
    Can add me to this race. I have just signed up via RW. Anyone know if you pay to be bused up to the start on the day? Entries online were just for the place and not the transport. I did put note in to race organiser that i wish to use the bus. This will be my first race away from Cardiff. Makes me feel quite quite nervous.
  • Options
    Hi Vicky  Transport is available at a cost of £2.50 each way.  Contact Christine Philpott,christine.philpott@torfaen.gov.uk for further info. Don’t be nervous – we’re very friendly up here.  We’ll get you through it!
  • Options

I entered the Cardiff 1/2 however I had to pull out because I woke up with some bad bug (fever, sickness, the works). I noticed this event and I'm thinking of entering it because I want to see if I can post the 1.45 that my training suggested that I could.

I'd like to know is what the standard is like. I noticed that its a smallish field and although I have done distance runs before, I'm only a casual runner and I'm a bit self conscious about the thought of being in a field full of club runners.

Also, I wondered what the chances are of being able to register on the day - I'm still feeling a bit ropey from what has been my second bout of sickness in 10 days so I don't yet know whether there will be time for me to recover and put in a bit of training to sharpen me up a bit.

If anyone could help me with any info I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

• Options

This is definitely that PB course - as long as you're not tempted to go off too fast and hit the wall at five miles.

It's typically a mix of club and fun runners.  The first year I did it (yes, 1984!) I had started running three months earlier and finished in 1:55 - and there were loads of people behind me.  Although it is a smallish field - but growing in recent years - there are always a few posting 2.30s.  So don't worry - 1:45 will see you nearer the front than the back.

Yes, you can enter on the day.  Don't leave it too late, as there's always a long queue.

Good luck!  It starts almost outside my front door, so wave to the hubby as we go off!

• Options
    No problems registering on the day. The usual mixed field as you would expect at these events, a lower proportion of first timers than you would get in Cardiff, and generally minus the scooby-doo outfits and people dragging tyres etc - but 1:45 is going to put you comfortably mid field.

Here are last year's results:
    http://www.runnerswebuk.com/results/2006/torfaen_h.pdf

• Options

Drat, I thought those links were automatic now.........

http://www.runnerswebuk.com/results/2006/torfaen_h.pdf

That should do it.

• Options

CaesarC - I know where you are coming from although you have a good 15+ mins up on me. I am looking to break the infamous 2hr mark i reckon i should do it here. Scared stiff that i will be last and hoping on the day to find someone running my pace so that if i am going to be at the end of the finishers, i will not be running alone. Anyone out there looking to do this in sub 2hr and wanting company on the way around? Anyone wanting to pace me around to make a young girl happy? Quite desperate to break the 2hr barrier. Think of how good you would feel knowing that you have helped someone achieve something that has been a bloody big hurdle for the last 4 years.

Jackie - thanks for the info about transport. I think i will give Christine a ring later today.

• Options

Vicky - if you click on the results link above, you'll see that more than 50 people finished after 2hrs.  You're not going to be last!

Good luck!

• Options
    Jackie - have looked at last years results. Still very worried but i guess the fear will get the adrenaline pumping all the more. I did 2.04 in Cardiff on Sunday and felt pretty good and did not seem to have any aches afterwards. Have rang christine and am sending off my cheque for transport. To be made out to Mic Morris Trust. That is right isn't it? 
  • Options
    Jackie - have just looked at your profile and boy am i really worried now!!
  • Options

Yes, Mic Morris Trust, I think - I always enter on the day.

Hey, don't worry about my profile.  I was pretty good back in the late 80s when I achieved a PB of 1:22.  But last year I did 1:46.  Hoping for a bit faster this year, but I'm just thrilled to be running it as a wrinkly!

Going on your Cardiff time - and I don't want to put pressure on you - but I'd say you're sure to break 2:00.  As I say, don't go off too fast (although I always do, and this will be my 16th ToT).  You'll really feel it in your legs when you get to the park in Cwmbran at around 10 miles, and then there's that slight climb to the finish - and horrible lap of the track.  But be sensible, and you'll have a great time! 

• Options
    I have a dilemma.  Should I go for the elusive 2hr barrier, or take it easy?  I'm dying to break 2hrs and think this may be the place to do it, but the if I do then my PB course will be all downhill, which will make beating it harder.  What do you all think?
  • Options

Don't be a wimp - go for it!  My early half PBs were always on Torfaen, but then I started equalling them on hilly courses, which is very satisfying.

Why don't you arrange to run with Vicky and try to pull eachother through?

• Options
    Good plan, I'm going to go for it!
  • Options
    I have two different HM PBs - other HMs and Torfaen. Consequently, on Sunday I set a new HM PB in Cardiff, which is slower than my current Torfaen PB, which I will be hoping to break on the 28th.
  • Options

There's a good chance you will, by the sound of it. 

I was on course to break my (Torfaen and other HM) PB many years ago, got to five miles in 29 minutes - and had to drop out because an old ankle injury was making my foot numb, a recurring problem in flat/downhill races.  Three months later, I equalled my Torfaen PB in the much harder Islwyn Half - and never managed to improve on it.  I still feel sad about what might have been - I'll never get the chance again - but, as they say, nobody died.

So don't worry about it being an 'easy' PB - just try your best.  I hope it isn't the case, but it might just be the best time you'll ever do!

• Options
    Smash - are you up to doing the challenge together? What was your cardiff time? I have always ran my races (only 4 in cardiff to date), by myself. Not by choice but my other half although a runner for many years, no longer chooses to race. I think it has got be harder racing on your own. What do you say?
  • Options

Hi Vicky ,

writing on behalf of my wife but I know shes in exactly the same position as you and is doing Torfaen. She did 2 hrs 03 at Cardiff and shes desperate to go under 2hrs in this one maybe you two can give it a go together???

Let me know if your interested and ill get her to email you ok?

• Options
    I have only done one half and that was the Cardiff one last year I did that in 1:44. I couldnt do it this year as I had the big snip. I hope I am up to this one as I had to take a two week break from running to heal and only started again this week, but I am getting up at six every morning before work to try and get back into it. Vicky you are easily going to be in the middle to quickest. I am going to enter on the day but I am not sure of where it is can anyone guide me, I have sat nav if theres a post code. x
  • Options

Stephen - do you think you should be doing a half-marathon so soon after your op?!  I didn't actually qualify as a doctor, but I'd say it was a bit soon!

However, if you insist!  Where do you live?  Blaenavon's easy to find - just head for Newport, then Cwmbran and keep travelling up the valley.  Through Pontypool, Abersychan, Cwmavon - and there we are.  It starts outside my house and my postcode's NP4 9LB.

This will show you where we are, and also the half marathon route.  Just start at the northermost point and head for the southernmost!

http://www.maps-of-britain.co.uk/map-of-torfaen.htm

http://www.torfaenonline.co.uk/whereistorfaen.htm

• Options
    Thanks Jackie. I am doing around four miles a morning before work this week and everything seems fine. I am going to try a ten mile run around the valleys this Sunday to see how things are, that’s why I'm entering on the day. I'm ok with Blaenavon as I live in Newbridge but wasn’t sure about the start. I've done a few 10k's this year including the Brynmawr, Abertillery and Cardiff 10k’s, so have kept up with my running up until the op, but I think I'm ok now. Thanks for that info I’ll use the post code to get to where it starts. I only started running around two and a half years ago after a disk was removed from my back but I am really addicted now. At 44 I needed to slow down that ticking clock and turn back time…..
  • Options

You've got two years on me, Steve!

From Newbridge, it's probably quickest to go to Crumlin, then Hafodyrynys, Pontypool and up.  Oops, just realised - you'll need to go straight to Cwmbran and be bussed to the start, otherwise you'll have to get back to Blaenavon for your car.  I'd offer you a lift but I'm going out to lunch!

You'll enjoy Torfaen.  It must be addictive, as this is my 16th.

• Options
    Vicky, that sounds great.  I'll be there in my Fetch top (see Rover's pic - mine's just like that) and stupid headband!  I did 2:04 at Cardiff but definately feel I can break 2hr this time!
  • Options
    To enter on the day you will need to get to the race HQ - which is at Blaenavon RFC this year (NP4 9JF).