Options

Forest of Dean Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options

I passed the bloke who collapsed too....does anyone know what happened later??  I really do hope he's ok, what a horrible things to have happened.  It put a dampener on my race, I must say.

I did enjoy the rest of it however, but I fear I may have trench-foot now!!

Would definitely do this one again.

• Options

Join the trench foot club haha. Sure was a toughy but will put you i good stead for a flat city tarmac run image

Yes fingers X'd for the man who was having the treatment

• Options

Apparently he was airlifted to hospital....poor bloke, best wishes to his family and friends.

I THINK, I may have done a PB today so am waiting on tenterhooks for the results to be posted...can't believe it in the conditions.

• Options
    Thoughts to the runner...fingers crossed.
  • Options

Hope he's ok too! Hopefully there will be some way to find out.

On a personal note, I loved the race and it's only my second half so it was a bit different to the one in Cardiff a couple of years ago! Some of the hilly bits were tough but after 2 months of early morning training, I was thrilled to come in at around 1hr 35m. There was a lot of running though puddles but looking back, that was the fun of it. At the time though, I might have been thinking differently image.

Well done everyone!!!

• Options

Really enjoyed the race, despite the puddles, and muddy conditions, more like a cross country run at times!!

My thoughts are with the man who had collapsed so close to the finish.

• Options
    looks good after my experiance at bath today i will be looking foward to this one
  • Options
    Anyone know if the results are up yet?? The event was timed by Trev from Blacksheep Sports but there is nothing showing on their site yet
  • Options

I didn't hand my chip in with all the emergency services arriving as I finished, hope that runner is ok. 

Is there any way of getting my time added onto results if I send chip in post.

• Options

I think the time is recorded as you cross tha mat and you don't need to hand it in! I certainly didn't see anywhere to put them or actually anyone taking them off their shoes!! (i've still got mine!)

cheers

• Options

God, I didn't want to do this this morning, sat in the car before the start wishing I'd got drunk at the Grand Slam and so stayed in bed!  Sooo glad I did it.  Sooo glad the rain and wind let up too! 

Thought it was a tough course with the hills, the mud and water just added to the character of the race.  Marshals  were fab, well done.  What are people doing with their trainers, mine are floating in the sink atm, don't want to put them in the washing machine.

Really hope they guy at the end is ok too.

• Options

Mines going in the bin haha.They are wrecked but all good fun

• Options
    I was the idiot that ran in brand new socks and trainers that had only been worn once............at least it takes that new look
  • Options
    New trainers!  Well, at least you won't have to worry about the looking all new and shiny image
  • Options

I got myself some nice new Nimbus 9 last week but they were kept firmly in the box after the rain we had last night (I knew what to expect though what with living a stones throw from the course)

Wonder how the guy who colllapsed is doing??

• Options

Anyone checked in on the Bath half thread??  Seems like it was a right mess...how glad are we that we braved the FoD! 

My trainers were pretty new too image They're now sitting on a plastic bag drying out...think they're gonna smell...image

• Options

Hi all

The last i heard was that they revived the man and i will check with chris H the race director to find out the details

I will post the news as soon as i know.  But the info from St Johns etc was that he was in good hands

trev

• Options
    Thanks for the update Trev - really good to know.
  • Options

Good one Trev- That sounds reassuring then.

How you getting on with the results?? Where will they be posted mate?? You will be glad to know I did run across the mat at the finish today haha image

• Options

Just got this off the other thread - possibly more good news -guy was airlifted to hospital and is good hands.

Thanks for the info on timing chips.

Mike ; )

• Options

Trev,,,,,,,

The there are only one set of timings on the results and they seem to be the gun timings...... when will the chip timings be available

• Options
    Hmm - and the male/female categories see to be all mixed up too...
  • Options

I'm confused by  who timed the event as there's also a set of results given by Race Timing Systems (who's link is on the Rotary Club home page!) Are they one and the same??

cheers

Jacob

• Options
    4:01 Loon (Dammit!!!) wrote (see)
    Hmm - and the male/female categories see to be all mixed up too...

Glad I haven't had a sudden sex-change without me realising!!

Intrigued to find out my actual chip-time (both sets of results seem to be gun time)....anyone have any more info???!!

• Options

If the chips just do the gun times then I'm a little angry that they advertise it as a chip race...........That means that the chips are just there to help them do the lists at the end not for the runners sake at all........ If we knew it wasn't a chipped race then we could all have lined up on the starting line and caused major conjestion for the front runners....

Maybe I'm over reacting and the proper chip times that everyone but the winners are looking for will appear in the next few hours......

• Options
    I hope the chap who was taken poorly yesterday is Ok my best wishes to him and his family.
  • Options

Just a quick note

You were supposed to of had start times for the chips - There was an issue at the start which has meant that there were quiet a few missing start times - For this reason we wont be publishing any.

Apologeese for this and the results will be updated with the correct catagories by Wednesday.

Well done to all who took part in testing conditions.

Trevor

• Options

Hey-ho... so once again those of us who are slightly slower (and therefore further back from the line at the start if we were being honest about where we were starting) get nothing like our true time recorded - in my case my watch time is about 40 seconds faster than my clock time and I'm a mid-pack runner at 1.45-1.50 for a half - those further back will have fared even less well...  

Maybe I'm just a bit cynical, but having paid £14.00 for this event, I would have hoped for a little better - the chip timing was, in my mind, some compensation for the fact that all I got at the end was a tinny, undated, medal and a bottle of lucozade, and then had a cold, damp walk back to a muddy car park!

I  mainly race on the South Coast and we get a lot more from our races in terms of refreshments, goody bags, t-shirts or other mementos for lower entrance fees than this.  It was a nice race but I will think twice about doing it next year in view of the fact that I could enter any number of other races for the same fee and get more for it...

• Options

I was amused to be given bib # 1666 just a tad off the number of "the beast" but on consulting the results I find I finished 668th and hence would ask for a promotion of 2 places to complete my demonisation

Seriously, however, what an enjoyable run I'll most certainly be back hoping for a crisp spring morning to really enjoy the scenery. Was forced to walk on the kick @ mile 9 (thought it was all downhill after 8). Also found it a bit of a cold slog from the finish back to the village don't know if it would be possible to cut a bit out somewhere on the course and have us run that last bit (I appreciate there is traffic control ect).

My best wishes, obviously, go out to the guy who was hospitalised. Also a great big well done to whichever competetor(s) had the training and presence of mind to assist him till St Johns got there. I passed when the situation was under control (as much as such a situation can be under control) and, like a previous threader, decided they did not need a crowd but still feel a bit bad about carrying on to the finish - it puts stuff in perspective for you does it not