Options

Cross training workout intensity

During my current bout of cross training I have been using my heart rate monitor but as I understand it because certain exercises are not weight bearing (e.g. cycling, rowing) then the "perceived" exertion will be a lot higher than would be suggested by the heart rate data (relative to running calculated maximums).

Does anyone have any more definitve reference points on this - I am keen to make sure my exercise intensity is at the right level but without killing myself!

Comments

• Options
    Not really sure on this one. I know that on the bike (either in the gym or on the road) i can't raise my HR very high. And as for the rower.... I obviously just don't work that hard. The only gym equipment that raises my HR is the stepper and the treadmmill.
    Doesn't really answer your question does it, but it takes it back to the top!!
    Boing!!

• Options
    Is "weight bearing" really the issue - or is it the fact that more major muscle groups are being engaged when running as opposed to cycling or rowing?
  • Options
    Cycling and swimming ususally have a MHR of around 10 beats lower than running - so base your zone calcs using

Running MHR - 10

Hope that helps

• Options
    When I was injured I tried to cycle and row at the same HR as I ran. This proved very hard and my physio told me I was stupid as I was meant to be recovering, not hurting myself more. It was a psychological thing, needing to achieve certain targets.

(Funny that cos when people impose targets in my work I hate it.)

Anyway, I agree with WildWill, lower HR for most activites than running. No scientific evidence, just personal perspective.
  • Options
    in water heart rate plus 10% will give you the equivalent to on land hear rate ( the reduction is due to the cooling properties of water.

Precision Heart Rate Training by edmund r burke PhD will tell you more in detail

fergal k (HRM addict)
  • Options
    My own MHR's

Running: 192
    Rowing: 185
    Cycling: 178

Hope this helps