Options

Really Bad Marathon

I ran (no sorry completed) a marathon last Sunday... The Connemara International Marathon. I thought I had the training done, all the long runs completed, everything going ok, tapered a bit too much... but didn't expect to hit the wall at mile 14. Muscle cramp, tired, slowed to a walk by mile 20 and resigned to walk the last 6.2. Maybe it was the hills, the wind... I don't know.

I'm planing to "complete" the New York Marathon in Nobember. So... Question is: Should I put last Sunday's disaster down as a long run in prep for NYC and keep going? or should I rest?

HELPPPPPP!

Ray

Comments

• Options
    Ray, marathons are pants. Fourteen miles is fun, 18 miles is the limit of acceptable and 26.2 miles is painful, boring and exhausting.

OF COURSE you should still do the NYCM in November! You will forget the worst of the pain. With reflection, you will be able to identify things you might have done differently at Connemara, and you have plenty of time to set them right.

While you're recovering, go back to the books and revise the basics of training for, and completing, a marathon. Amazing how much it's possible to forget...

Well done on completing the distance despite not having an alpha-plus experience. That medal is still a medal. What was your time? Don't be embarrassed - I had a similar experience to yours at London this year, crossed the line at crawling pace in 5hrs 57 min, and still see myself very much as someone who has done a marathon. I'll do the next one better, of course.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Options
    Here's my top tip, After your long (2hr plus) runs, go straight out cycling for 1-2hrs to really develop you muscle glycogen levels. Make sure you take plenty of carbs on board though - this is especially true when racing. Try having an energy every 20-30minutes from the gun.

Good Luck in NY, Mowgers
  • Options
    Ray

Write it off, don't look back - we've all had cr@p runs, it just feels worse when you are looking forward to a good one & it goes wrong.

NY will be bigger, flatter & more fun.
  • Options
    Ray,

I agree. Just write it off as a bad day at the office. We all get them. I had one yesterday and today was soooo much better.

I've got to say though the scenery must have been pretty spectacular!

Enjoy NY.

All the best,

RB