Options

Why do parents.................

.................allow their children to cycle to school on bikes with no lights, wearing dark clothes with no reflective bits, when it's not fully daylight?

I saw two nearly being taken out by a van this morning.  Well, I only JUST saw them, as, fortunately did the van driver.

Grrrrrr!image

Comments

• Options

Like most of this country there are sensible peeps and then there are thick tw*ts.

I'm on a bike some one will see me, I have reflectors in my pedals!

• Options
    But doesn't your mullet cover them TT?
  • Options

Because they're idiots?

• Options
    But doesn't your mullet cover them TT?A> I don't have refectors in my pedals as all my bikes have clipless pedalsb> My mullet has gone, short back and sides with sensible hair on topc> I can't be arsed to give you a witty retort.
  • Options
    My clipless pedals arrived with  a fitting kit to allow reflectors to be fitted....... Think it's on the floor in the garage somewhere if anyone wants them !!
  • Options
    My first road bike arrived with the reflectors (front, rear, wheel and pedal) and a bell in a little bag ready for me to fit them.  I think they might be on the floor with your pedal reflectors.
  • Options
    It's natural selection at work, innit? image
  • Options
    Nessie - Congratulations! I heard you are expecting. You'll make a wonderful parent! image
  • Options

My first road bike arrived with the reflectors (front, rear, wheel and pedal) and a bell in a little bag ready for me to fit them.  I think they might be on the floor with your pedal reflectors

Some EU law thing? Picked my road bike up from LBS and was given a screwdriver.

"Whats that for?"

"So you can take the stupid bell off on the street, got to sell all bikes with a bell"

I can see planet-x sending me a stealth with a bell on!

Dave is the "kit" like some paltform that clicks into the pedal?

• Options

Maybe they hate their kids and they want them to die.

I saw someone taking their kid on a bike down the Mall the other day and the kid was weaving all over the place, clearly not in control of their bike. Now THAT is f**king dumbass behaviour.

• Options

Yeah it fits under the platfrom (SPD-R's).. Didn't bother investigating to far !

My new Trek arrived with a bell attached by elastic band.. The mechanic said once you have stuck the bike in your car, can you bring the bell back please !!

• Options

Did they want the bell back, TT, so they could fit it to the next bike out the door? 

I think the law is that if the bike is sold complete then it has to have reflectors (front, rear, and on the wheels) and a bell.  The Baby was sold to me without wheels and a saddle so they didn't have to bother adding to my bell collection.  Most road bikes are now sold without pedals so they don't have to mess around trying to fit reflectors to clipless pedals.

• Options
    Same is true of MTBs.
  • Options

with a bell attached by elastic band

Classic!

• Options

Maybe the parents have give the kids the stuff and they took it off.  I know that's what I did. Apart from lights.

I think it's good that all bike are soled with bells etc these days.  We can be all be macho and boast about our gold plated sex machines but they are still a vehicle that gets used on the road so reflectors and bells are just as an important safety device as brakes and common sense.

• Options
    Gold plated? THINK OF THE WEIGHT, DAAAAAAAAARLINK!
  • Options
    My voice is louder than any bell, BDB, and my road bike never goes out at night so reflectors are completely pointless.  Of course my station bike is fully loaded with reflectors and good lights because I prefer not to be hit by cars.
  • Options

So if I splashed out on a 3k superduper TT bike and told the shop I wanted it complete package, would they invoice it as Bike and wheels sperate I wonder?

The law is an ass.

• Options

You're missing the point. Most bikes sold are for peeps to people down to the shops/station/school etc so the law is a catch all. It doesn't need to say "do they own a turbo trainer, is the bike worth more than £xx, does the purchaser has an unhealthy obsession with lycra etc". We aren't the only people how use bikes just like when we run we're not the only people who use pavements.

RN3KK - true, your voice is louder, but is it discernable over street noise? A bell is very distinctive and if you ring it, people will know it's a bike (although they will probably still turn around with that "what?" expression on their faces)

• Options

Oh yes, my voice is definitely discernable over street noise image  I've had more than one pedestrian leaping for the kerb when I've screamed at them as they've stepped out in front of me.  It's far more effective than a bell will ever be.

• Options

Bell- ding

Voice MMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEE

Yep more effective. However the rubber chicken on my MTB is great at moving peeps out of the way.

• Options

Agree BDB. Bells make a lot of sense and can fully understand why they shouild be obligatory. Reflectors/lights are different if only cycling daytime, however the reason they are made a legal requirement is because otherwise too many people are too stupid to fit them. The reason for a nanny state is too many people need a nanny !!

Of course even with a bell fitted, people can't be forced to use it, jus task any BMW driver what they think the indicators are for image

• Options
    Hmm... Personally, I prefer to kit my bike out with a fog horn.
  • Options
    I would DM but weight considurations for racing!
  • Options

You use a bell in a race?!

*ting ting*

"Excuse me dear sir, would you mind awfully getting out of the way?"

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Reflectors are only any use if the driver of the car has cleaned the salt residue from their lights, and have two headlights working.

(Rant number 2, which I WAS saving for Friday, but what the hell).

GO ON, SPLASH OUT ON SOME BIKE LIGHTS FOR YOUR KIDS!

Adults who cycle with stealth cloaking devices on (i.e. wearing black with no lights) deserve to be frightened by the odd clipped wheel.  (Yes, I am a cyclist, but I never go out in the dark on my bike).

Smallest - thanks, I hope I will be a good parent.

Assuming that supergluing reflective stuff to your child is not considered cruelty these days.

• Options

Congratulations Nessie - great news!

I think supergluing may be cruel, bu sewing Velcro patches is Ok image

• Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭

On my way out this morning, three of the four schoolchildren waiting at the level crossing on their bikes  were not wearing helmets. None of them were wearing any reflective gear at all.

I agree with Mr W/RN3KK, bells are useless - it's also quicker to shout than ping the bell. Try cycling along Fenchurch Street at 5.30pm and see how many pedestrians try to walk in front of you. A plinky little bell does fek all. Shouting VERY LOUDLY is definitely more effective.

• Options

You use a bell in a race?!

*ting ting*

"Excuse me dear sir, would you mind awfully getting out of the way?"

Nope colin the chicken(attached to the downtube) does a f*cking good job!

• Options
    By a spooky coincidence I shall be walking along Fenchurch Street at approx. 5.30 this evening Womble - perhaps we could try some kind of experimemt to see how effective your yell is imageimage