Options

Asthma UK 10K

Has anyone got any info on the 10km route around Dorney Lake. I am thinking of running the Asthma UK 10km March 22nd and would like any info on the race?

Cheers

Pin

Comments

• Options
    I've entered this, and as far as I know, it's 2 laps of the lake.

Hope that helps!
  • Options

I ran here earlier this month. Its 2 laps of the lake, and its completely flat. I knocked 7 mins off my pb. The weather was lovely which made it realy enjoyable.

It is very exposed, so I would imagine it would be very grim if it was windy, but I still think its worth it.

I'm going to go back for the Asthma 10k in March.image

• Options

Hi, I'm looking for a PB-friendly course and this sounds good! Coming from central London, is it easy to get to?

• Options
    Neil - I don't know the area but looking at the map it looks like 'Windsor & Eton Railway Station' is the closest to Dorney Lake - about 2 miles.  Someone else may know more.
  • Options
    Neil, it's an easy run from London by car - just come off the M4 at junction 5 follow the road through Datchet heading out to Slough. After a couple of hundred yards turn left towards Eton. Turn left at the end of that road and you end up at a set of lights, right by the college. Take a right here and this road will take you to Dorney. Datchet station is slightly nearer Waterloo and would be an alternative to W&E riverside.
  • Options

Hi all, I'm wondering whether to enter online or by post. Is it a bit late for post entries, do you think? I'm just concerned that they won't be able to get my race pack out to me in time.

I'll definitely PB here. I ran my first 10k last November, also here, and I had only just run the entire distance in training. I have run 7 minutes faster in training, but should be able to go around 5 minutes faster at least. It was a bit windy down one side of the lake that day, also one side was far colder than the other!

• Options
    I hope it's not too windy, as I'm aiming for a PB as well! It's my second 10k, and my first was in November in Brighton, and it was blowing an absolute gale! I couldn't run the whole distance, and it took me just over 1hr 20, so I'm hoping to take up to 10 mins off that time.

See you all there!
  • Options

Hi Sazza,

I'm sure you'll get the PB you're looking for, it really is an ideal course for good times.

Tav, I entered on line and still havent got my pack yet, so I'm sure if you enter on line soon they'll be plenty of time for them to send you're pack out to you.

Good luck every one!

• Options
    thanks Ed and Nigel for the directions..i'll be coming by train (so an early start!). Perfect course for a PB by all accounts...good luck everyone
  • Options

Hello from Asthma UK

Hope you're all looking forward to the race!  Wanted to let you know that race packs including running numbers, timing chips and details of how to get there are being posted w/c 10 March.

If I have any more updates I will keep you posted.

Best wishes

Anna

• Options
    Thanks Anna!

I got my t-shirt last week - very nice!
  • Options
    Any one received there Number yet?
  • Options
    Mine arrived this morning.
  • Options
    Still waiting for mine. Got my teeshirt though
  • Options

Going to be running.

Anna- it mentions James Thie is going to be running- do you know if he's doing it seriously or just for a jog around?

Hoping this course will be good for my first 10k PB in over 2 years! Just hoping I'll have someone to run with though!

• Options

James Thie is supporting Asthma UK as an athlete with asthma. His presence will help Asthma UK to spread the message that exercise and sport can help relieve the symptoms of asthma and that asthma does not have to be a barrier to exercising.

Jo Pavey has also pledged her support and will be running on the day too.

Running numbers and timing chips were posted on Thursday and Friday by first class post so hopefully these should have arrived.

If you registered towards the end of last week then it's likely that we won't have been able to get your race pack together in time for the mailing. In this case and for later registrants, your running numbers and timing chips will ready for you to pick up on the day - please arrive in plenty of time.

I will be emailing those people who didn't make our mailing.

Closing date for registering is Tuesday 18 March.

Good luck everyone!

Anna

• Options
    Still No number, hoping that it will appear today!
  • Options
    image YIPEE It's arrived! See ya all Saturday Looking forward to it.
  • Options

I'm a last-minute entrant to this one... although I must admit, having seen the weather forecast for the rest of the week, I very nearly talked myself out of it.

As an asthmatic myself, I've always felt this is one I should do; but in previous years, the circumstances just haven't worked out. This year, with the Reading Half Marathon coming so early, I've had no such problems. And I have to admit, the reported PB-friendliness of the course was a factor too. It's round the edge of a lake... how hilly can it possibly be? (Anyone?)

• Options

It's not hilly at all - only uphill / downhill sections are going over the bridges (about 6 strides!). Fear not!

Main concern is wind, it can be really hard one way if a strong wind is in your face.

• Options

Eek, not very happy about the forecast for Saturday!

Like a few others, I'm asthmatic and kind of feel I should be doing this one!  I ran (well, plodded) the Brighton Half last month in aid of Asthma UK as well.

If I promise to turn up in the wind and snow, will you all do the same?  I don't want to be by myself!

It's funny - this will probably be the only race ever where if I forget my inhaler, I wouldn't worry about it...

• Options

Good Luck everyone!  Weather looks crap but should just make it more fun!!

• Options
    The wind at times was very strong, but the course was brilliant.  Did this last year when the weather was warm.  This year the weather was terrible, but still enjoyed the run.  Well done Asthma UK.
  • Options
    wow  - that was cold - especially 6km - to about 8km - Sazza G - i'm not sure the weather gods are shining on you judging by the weather on the last two  races you have run.  My tip - Book a race for june (but  have  winter gear at the ready) - I've never been so glad to get back to my car - Oh well, it's all for a good cause. Hope everyone got through it OK . Cheers.   
  • Options

Really enjoyed it, but man - that headwind just after the 5k turn!!image

Lovely setting, and in better conditions it would be an almost perfect event. I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy the long straights up and down the lake, but I actually found it helpful, being able to see the km markers from quite a distance... and it certainly helped to see the finish line getting ever closer, from as far as 2k out. (Although as I left, I realised I couldn't see the far end of the lake due to the rain / sleet / hail.)

And thanks to the PA guy... that's the first time I've ever had my name read out.

The wind put paid to any hopes I had of a PB. There's a direct correlation between the wind direction and my km splits. Overall I'm happy with my time... and I'm hoping someone organises another event here, when the weather's likely to be more favourable.

• Options
    What is it with me a 10k weather! Believe it or not, the wind wasn't as strong as at the Brighton 10k, but man that snow was harsh! At least it was behind us for the last 2.5k!

I had quite a bad run. I had a twinge in my calf this morning, and decided to ignore it. By the 1k mark, my right calf was seizing up, and I was seriously thinking I might have to pull out. After run/walking the next k or so, I thought "no, even if I have to walk most of it, I want my medal!"

Managed to toddle down to the 5k mark, then the wind took it out of me a bit. The rowing meter markers were quite useful for mini goals! Got to the 7k marker, and set myself the challenge of running the rest of the way. By that time, my legs were so cold that my calf wasn't hurting any more! I did myself proud in that last 3k, and even overtook a few people. A bit of a sprint finish, and I came in just over a minute slower than my PB. I should be please with that, as I walked more this time, so my running bits must have been faster!

A great event for a great cause (it was nice to see lots of other runners carrying inhalers!). Very well organised, with a good atmosphere. It was nice to see the kiddies race before hand.

I'm sure I'll be back next year.
  • Options

Am really disappointed I didn't make the race, stuck in bed with a bug.....although having watched the weather outside not sure I'm that sad really!!!!!

Well done all of you who braved the weather, especially my running buddy Caroline who went without me and achieved her goal and got her first sub 60 10k...well done Caroline, I'm sorry I missed it.

• Options

I enjoyed the race even though it was so cold but the organisation was a complete shambles.

Got there at 10.20am and there were queues of cars in front of us.

We were finally told to park at the side of the road which we did,by this point it was getting very close to 11am.

We jogged down and a marshal said to us don't worry about rushing,they know theres been a problem with parking,so have delayed the start,thank god I have said.

So we still jogged along and then they started and were still miles away.

By the time we got there we started the race 7 minutes after everyone else,not impressed at all.

If the guy had told people a lot earlier to just park then it would be fine.

Have ran at Dorney before and it was very well organised by Datchet Dashers so I'm very disappointed by today.

• Options

hey all - also enjoyed the race even if half my face was frozen from th snow/hail/sleet image)))

Btw - where/when can we log on to check our official chip time? I didnt see any link on the official site or ddi u miss something?