Options

pro footballers running

Can anybody settle an argument with a work colleague. He says that nearly all Premiership Footballers could run 5K in sub 20 mins....I say....'No way!' Anybody know of any facts or figures?

Comments

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    I agree with him - 20 minutes should be a doddle for any fairly young man who trains regularly.
  • Options
    I would think that if many of them trained to run 5k they probably could - they're young and fit in the main

but footballers are trained to run in short fast bursts which is different to sustained running so they would need to train accordingly

and I believe Goldenballs aka Beckham beats the bleep test which is very very tough to do........so he's pretty quick!
  • Options

they should be able to run it.beckham could easily do a fast 10k as he was a pretty useful xcountry runner at school

but here's a couple i have doubts about,

Andy Reid

Tom Huddlestone

John Hartson

can anyone add to the list

• Options

I'd say your work colleague is correct. It's a lazy argument to suggest that all Premiership footballers are wife beating drunks who go out and squire young hairdressers every friday and saturday night. The simple fact is that midfielders (at least) run about 10k per match so to ask them to run sub 20m 5k should be a fairly basic fitness requirement. They are fit athletes who are competing at national and international standard week in week out - why would they not be able to do a sub 20min 5k? It's only the goalies who should be struggling with it tbh.

In fact, I'd extend that ability a lot further down the leagues as well. You try running around a football pitch 3 times a week for 2 x 45min halves with 2 to 3hr training sessions on top of that. You'd soon find out how hard it actually is.....

• Options
    Sure,there are going to be ex XC runners turning up every now and then but what about the pure talented footballers eg Rooney,Cole,Keane? Can they a run a quick 5k? Anyone out there got some numbers or experience running with a top footballer?
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Footballers have to run continuously in fast bursts though FB - it's not like rugby where you can sprint then stand around recovering!   They are both explosive sports but I think rugby probably more so - football has more of an endurance element to it. 

So many kids play football that the cream of our athletic talent tends to go into the sport - and anyone else remember Dennis Wise on superstars a couple of years ago - he was very useful in the XC.  

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    I had a race against Andy Todd once, I used to play football with his older brother and his Dad used to come looking for him when it got dark - but he was about 7 and I was a few years older so it probably doesn't count - I beat him though ! 
  • Options
    They may run 10k during a match - but that is a 10k in 90mins with a nice rest half way through!
  • Options

"I'd say your work colleague is correct. It's a lazy argument to suggest that all Premiership footballers are wife beating drunks who go out and squire young hairdressers every friday and saturday night."

no some of them go out mid week as well.

Kryten, that's splitting hairs. they do have to do some endurance training.i once trained with Steve Walsh,(leicester city) and the guy was amazingly fit even though he looked a couple of pounds overweight, and said he never really ran that much. i think if you look at the physique of some of them, youcan easily spot a good runner

• Options
    stand around recovering?????

not if you're a forward like I was - we had lineouts and scrums etc to do so the jessies in the backs could try and get all the frigging glory........

• Options
    that's a forward speaking image.you sound just like Brian Moore FB
  • Options
    if I EVER sound like Brian Moore I'll shoot myself.....

actually - no - that's wrong

if I EVER sound like Stuart Barnes I'll definitely shoot myself.....image

• Options
    can't stand Barnes, little twat? thinks he's the greatest fly half to have ever played.
  • Options

"They may run 10k during a match - but that is a 10k in 90mins with a nice rest half way through!"

Well if some people on here were to do that sort of training - hard intervals 2wice or three times a week done in 4 lots of 45mins sessions I can guarantee that they'd soon realise how easy it would be to do a sub 20min 5k.
    It's not like we're talking about fat darts players is it?
    I agree - lots of endurance sports have lost their best athletes over the years to football without realising it.
    How many 100m or 200m or 400m sprinters have ended up being strikers on the pitch for instance?}
    Look at the physique of Craig Mottram and David Beckham - very very similar. It's only the sheer volume of running that has "thinned out" Mottram over the years

• Options
    Just as an aside.....I ran in a 5k[along with 300 others!] when Craig Mottram won and beat me by about 9 minutes! Bet he can't play football though!
  • Options

im almost certain all premiership players could do a 20min 5k. just go to a game and see for yourself how fast it is and how much running all the players do off the ball (keeper aside). mind you im not suggesting you fork out 40/50 quid for the pleasure!!!

much as the press love us to hate the pampered premiership stars, its worth remembering (when feeling charitable) that they are pretty good  all round athletes.

• Options
    I'm sure all of the outfield players can run a 20min 5k. A lot of them will be a hell of a lot quicker. I used to play football at a lowish non-league level and pre-season training regularly used to involve some relatively long runs and a lot of interval work. Me and the other few fit players used to be able to do 1mile in sub 5 mins in boots and shinpads. On that basis I would expect all premiership players to be able to do these sort of times.
  • Options

5k in 20 mins for an athlet thats trains most days with the best medical, diet, coaching etc plus few are over 30 I think even I could have got close to that sort of time then.

Its approx 6.30 min per mile pace

That said I think most footballers would really struggle to do 10 mile under 70 mins without 6+ weeks training for it.

• Options

I run the Cliffe Woods 10K most years and until recently,Andy Hesenthaler was a regular entrant.

He was in his late '30's and player-manager of Gillingham at the time and always finished around 40 minutes,with a seriously impressive sprint finish !

I know that's just one example,but it's a good indication of the basic fitness of an "average" professional footballer and I believe that the vast majority of Premiership players would have no problem with a sub-20 5K.

Some would probably do a lot better than that.Thierry Henry,with his build and inherent speed,is somebody I would think could have been an excellent middle distance runner;possibly  Rio Ferdinand and I'm sure many others.Somewhat off topic,I remember James Cracknell running a 1.20 half at Windsor a few years ago,so we mustn't underestimate how fit the majority of professional sportspeople are-it's their living.

• Options
    ScreamScream ✭✭✭

I've wondered previously how my fitness would compare to a top class footballer.  I don't think all of them could run a sub-20 5k; I agree a high proportion could but some of the heavier ones would struggle due to weight and just generally not being suited to high intensity for 20 minutes.

[Considered making a joke about Eduardo not being able to but thought best not to....]

Here are some stats per player per game, lifted from the article below:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article722711.ece

• 11.49km covered
    • 147 fast-paced runs
    • 44 flat out sprints with average 39 secs recovery
    • 1,070m at high intensity

Most people on here, could run 12k in 90 minutes fairly easily.  I'm sure a high proportion could also cover 1k of this at high intensity, I think where most would fail would be in the 44 flat out sprints and 147 "reps".  Obviously most of these reps would be fairly short (given that they have to squeeze one and a half in each minute) but as nearly a third of them are flat out, it would certainly be a challenge.

Personally, I don't think I'm as short intensity fit as a top class footballer as my focus is stamina based, not speed.  But I'm sure I'm comparable stamina-wise.  Ok, I think I've got more stamina!

• Options

Old thread but interesting.

Some footballers should ease 5k, especially the likes of Theo Walcott, Steven Gerrard, Cristiano Ronaldo etc..

I could probably run 5k in sub 20 minutes if I really went for it, and I'm just getting back into it. Footballers are very lean due to their high workrate in training. You see they don't have one inch of fat on them, but I still reckon they'd struggle anything over 5k as they are heavier than runners and their fitness is made for more high intensity bursts rather than substaining a good pace over a long distance.

• Options

Andy Hessenthaler, ex Gillingham footballer has a more than decent time for a 10k, not sure what the time was but I recall reading about it in the Runners World magazine.

Can anyone expand on this?

SS

• Options

How about Neil Ruddock or Jan Molby will that do for you snail?

• Options
    It would actually be rather interesting to find out what times certain footballers can run these distances at.
  • Options

Having been at the track at the same time as an Exeter Chief's track session, I can offer a rugby comparison.

They were all very impressive over 60m; pretty good over 200m & almost without exception sub-65 over 400m.  Finishing the session with a 1500m, none of them were under 6 minutes.

Admittedly it is a different game & rugby players are carrying a lot more upper body muscle, but based on my observations I'd have guessed that only a small percentage were likely to go sub-20 over 5K.  Nothing like what they were trained to do - or needed to achieve.

• Options
    If I can break 20m for a 5k - I'm pretty certain that a Pro Footballer should be able to do it, or the vast majority of them anyway.
  • Options

As the goalkeeper of an amateur football team, all our lads are drilled to run 5KM once a week, the slowest is 21 minutes and the fastest is 18, premiership footie players should be fitter than us drunken students! Also the drummer in my band plays semi pro footy in wales and I've seen his team training schedule, Footballers are fit lads at all levels and I'd say 5KM is probably not asking too much of most of them.

HOWEVER, John Carew, Emile Heskey, and other stocky non-midfielders may find it a struggle!

• Options

I used to play a low level of football before injury caused me to switch to running.

I used to do a sub 5 min mile in boots in pre season training and almost all of the players finished in less than 6 minutes.  We were never timed over longer distances

Based on this I'd be shocked if any top level outfield player couldn't do a 20 minute 5k

• Options

i think that most of them would do a 20 min 5k fairly comfortably.

James milner of villa was Leeds cross country champion for several years!