Options

JPMorgan Chase Corporate Challenge

My company are entering a team for this and I am thinking about running it. It's in Battersea Park, London on 9th / 10th July.

Has anyone done it before? What is it like?

Is it a competitive race? Or does everyone skip round holding hands in an atmosphere of mutual support and admiration? Overcrowded? Charity oriented? Etc, Etc.

Any opinions welcome. Cheers! 

http://www.jpmorganchasecc.com

Comments

• Options

This is going to sound very snotty, but here goes:

It is heavily touted as a charity event, but only a very small proportion of the very expensive entry fee goes to charity £2.00 I think). So I personally won't do it again on principle.

Also, there is no official timing.

If these things don't bother you, then it is quite good fun.

• Options

Did it a couple of years ago. We were pretty much the only public sector team in a field of financial/banking/investment/IT companies, but that was fair enough.

Crowded at the start, although we set off near the back so that was always going to be the case.

Lots of companies have hospitality tents, so if your team is part of a big organisation, it's nice to have something waiting at the end. I seem to remember barbeques, Pimms etc all being available to lucky runners!

I won a prize so I quite liked it image

• Options

Thanks fishyweb and ST.

The charity thing is interesting. The email that was sent round at work does state that its "all for a good cause". Perhaps it should have said "a small bit of it is for a good cause".

I am not sure about the official timing though because the website has published the results with every ones 2007 times?

• Options
    Snoop DoggSnoop Dogg ✭✭✭
    ..sounds like just another corproate jolly then to fill in the few days between Wimbleybum, the Open Golf, and Cowes Week. image
  • Options

After seeing lots of people from my company do this before, I decided this year to do it (I didn't start running until earlier this year), it looks like a bit of fun really, although I agree that the entry price is steep and not enough goes to charity.   Walking home through the city last year I remember seeing a ridiculous amount of people with T-shirts on for the event. image

• Options

My company are paying the entry fee, so that's not a problem!

I think that I may as well give it a go, no reason not to. 

I used to live near Battersea Park and so used to run round there all the time when I first took up running. I may have to wipe a nostalgic tear from my eye at the start! 

• Options
    Snoop DoggSnoop Dogg ✭✭✭
    I recall running 26.2 x 1 mile laps in a marathon around Batty Park a few years ago. I certainly wont be wiping any nostalgic moisture from my eye in memory of that one!
  • Options

We take a group from our company every year, although numbers are getting smaller as the entry fee goes up and the company have stopped subsidising us. You have to look at the finish clock and submit your own time, as its pretty crowded it takes a while to get over the start and there's quite a bit of bunching in the middle of the pack. Officially you're supposed to submit the gun to finish time, in practice I think a lot of people correct it to 'start line to finish'. There are however some pretty nifty and definitely competitive runners at the front end

In summary its good fun if you don't take it too seriously. We finish up with a picnic ( a big one !). If it encourages some of your colleagues to have a go it can't be a bad thing. It got me started and now I've run three marathons and lots inbetween.

i'll be there again this year !

• Options
    eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭

It's a big corporate Race thats been on the go for Donkeys year's used to be called Manny Hanny i believe, the winners get taken out to the States for a race against there winners.

if your company have a marquee it can be fun but unless you are elite its not much of a race because of the numbers.

my company just ask us to stick in a tenner which they pay to charity and then just enter us into it and provide Marquee and beers and food, seems rude not to partake.