Options

RAF Fitness Test

13»

Comments

• Options

Things are getting a bit tighter on the fitness front just lately, just did my multi stage fitness test today actually and thats a 6 monthly thing now with increasing levels but still very easy to pass, at various levels. Had to do the army test a couple of months ago and that is a lot tougher, as in they watch you like hawks and make sure your performing the exercises correctly. They still do the 1.5 as opposed to the MSFT ......... much prefered it.

If you are struggling on the teadmill with injury i would really consider how you will cope with 9 weeks basic at Halton, not just the PT but the drill and Common core skills (Army stuff that we only play at !).

Its not Green tough, but still a challenging 9 weeks, the level of fitness coming out of basic is very very good to be honest. I get to see a lot of the guys when they hit tech training with us at Cosford. So I would say hang on, get fixed then come join us.

• Options

and its all hills hills hills round here!

seriously,  CoolerKings is right if your physio is happy that you can survive 9 weeks with the injury you are carrying then fair enough but if its going to render you medically unfit before you get to Trade Training then you may need to question it

Talk to the physio and see what he says

and Yes RJB ...  I remember the potholed runway in the bitterest May we ever had !!

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Did someone mention Swinderby? <shudder> I remember it well. Thankfully I went through there in summer. Must be godawful in winter.

I joined the RAF back in *cough cough ahem* and was seriously worried that I wouldn't hack the fitness bit, what with never having been a sporty type at school. What I found was that the PTIs were as interested in motivation and determination, effort that is, as they were in results. They'd check your pulse at the end of a run and anyone thought to be cruising got beasted on the spot regardless of their time.

Obviously, if you're a crock or total lardy you won't make the grade. But if you've got the potential and the right attitude, you'll be fine. From what the original poster says about herself, she'll be a damn sight fitter than most of the folk I knew when I was in the mob!

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

<snaps smartly to attention at the sight of Meldy>

Evenin' ma'am.

• Options
    I like a man who knows his ranking in life.
  • Options

Don't worry about passing any entry tests to get in the RAF, they are so desperate to get people through the door that a one legged blind horse can pass.

Just look at the signs that are positioned outside the AFCO, I think the wording goes "we take absolutely anyone"

• Options

Yeah, trade dependant Im sure you'll get a back hander, im quite sure.  If its TG12, you'll be in even if you didnt get to the AFCO?

Best of luck tho fella

• Options

i am in the same boat!!

im training for the royal marines (yup a boot neck!!)

havent sent application yet as i need to get rid of a certain tatoo first though!! (on my neck) 

on the boot neck test i have to do 1.5 in 10 mins 30 secs!! ( aaghh!) i here you say!

at the moment i am doing about 2.4k around the 18 min mark!! 

but i have more time than you because the treatment will take 6 months to get rid of it! 

wat i do is look at the distance and time continuasly and say too my self. just a little more come on you can do it!

i envision a pti screaming at me you f***g wimp get a move on boy!!

you'll never do it. etc

works for me anyways!! good luck m8!

all the best! 

• Options

Just remember Danny the 10.5 mins is one of the minimum requirements! Ideally you want to be able to go under 9 mins. You will also need lots of upper body strength and you will be doing long runs carrying weight. Quite a few skills needed there, not just the ability to scrape under 10.5 mins for a fitness test.

Best of luck to you though.

• Options

yes i know its not easy!

im runing / swiming / circut training etc

(allredy feel's like limphstone) ha! ha!

any advice from ex forces welcome  image   (and evry one else)

thanks..dan! 

• Options
    Well, I've been sent for an extra medical for my knee (Up to Cranditz for an MRI and yummy things) to make sure it's fine, although my physio says it is.

So I didn't take the fitness yesterday! Bought some time!
  • Options

Hey! It took me 2 years waiting to get an MRI scan for my knee on the NHS. Damn, I should have just signed up again image!

Thats quite good tho, eh, in a way, Charlotte, a bit more time before they stick you on the dreadmill?

Danny - Good Luck with the Marines training - saw that prog on the tv, looked like they were turning out Olympic athletes, with nerves of steel! I reckon circuit training and some fast / aerobic type weight training work is gonna be a good prep, and maybe try putting weights in a rucksack and yomp up big hills. Best of luck mate image.

• Options

thanks tiger need the motivation!!

i think i have burnt out been hittin the whole weights and runing thing to much.

maybe i have over trained. (feel heavy evry where tired and irretible got a nigle in my elbow sore shins)

<-sits in corner all solem and depressd!-> lol

and im trying to quit smoking (aaagghh!) i feel crap 

think ill give my self some rest. (till monday)

thanks guy's..........dan! 

• Options
    Tails wrote (see)

Don't worry about passing any entry tests to get in the RAF, they are so desperate to get people through the door that a one legged blind horse can pass.

Just look at the signs that are positioned outside the AFCO, I think the wording goes "we take absolutely anyone"

The RAF may do this, although I very much doubt it!  The RN/RM are very different, as a serving Warrant  Officer attached to the RM, the point to be made is that the entry test is not all.

Lee (Pongo) makes a good point, getting through the initial tests is just the first hurdle.

You need to aim to be fit for your training, or at least at a stage the PTI's can work with.  Scraping through the initial tests is not ideal.

Good luck to you both, applyyourselves, with a sense of humour, and Danny if you get to RM basic training, remembr  - that your skin is waterproof!