Options

How to carry things?

How do people carry things when they're out running? I always have with me my keys, very often my mobile phone (I have 2 kids who are often in nursery when I'm out), a small amount of money (anough for a taxi if I get stuck somewhere) and my ipod. I don't take water with me yet, but I can see that I will want to as my runs get longer and faster and that as the weather gets colder and wetter, I will be wanting to take a waterproof jacket and perhaps a long sleeved top.

So, how do people carry all this stuff when they are out running? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Comments

• Options
    Actually that is a good question as I will be running for the first time with keys and mobile tonight!
  • Options
    I've just recently started running and found the same problem...I then found a smart little velcro armband in John Lewis (think it's Nike), which I've managed to fit my phone and keys in. I've recently invested in a ipod shuffle too, which stops me from gripping onto my nano for dear life whilst running!
  • Options

I always tie my keys onto my shoelaces and tuck them in so they don't jangle about. Then I have my water in one hand and if I bring my mp3 I have that in t'other hand. I rarely bring a longsleeved top or waterproof but if I do I just tie it round my waist. I have got an armband thing that you can put money, phone, etc in but never use it.

Yesterday evening I ran down to the shops with a fiver in my hand and then ran back carrying the packet of tights I had just bought!

• Options

The arm band seems like a good idea, i'll have to look out for one of them, i've never run in a waterproof, i should invest in one but i am luck enough not to have been caught in a terantual down pour (yet!), i love running when it is raining lightly, for some reason my times are betterimage.

Never thought of tying my keys to my laces, great idea, would like to start carrying my mobile phone incase of emergency, so the arm band thing is looking like a good buy.

great thread!

Jen-jen x

www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/meandmum1

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I don't bother taking a waterproof - it's only water!  For water to drink, I usually use a 'doughnut' bottle.  In hotter weather and for long runs I sometimes use a Camelbak.

However, for the keys, phone and sweeties, etc. I use a little bumbag.

• Options
    Green EyesGreen Eyes ✭✭✭

If it's just a short run I put my keys into my back pocket.  I wear shorts that have the little zip pocket in the back and that does the trick.  For longer runs I wear a belt.  Has a compartement that I can put sweets and money in not that I ever take any and the water bottle sits nicely at the base of my back and I find it very comfortable.  I don't ever take my phone with me.

I only wear a waterproof if it's chucking it down and really cold.  I find that I warm up very quickly and tend to remove layers rather than put them on.  Then I have to tie them round my waist which is a real pain.

• Options
    I've got a bum back that is good for carrying gels and bits and bobs in longer races. 
  • Options

a nathan bum pack in which i put key(if not tied to my lace),water i buy on route so i dont have to carry it,last but not least my mp3 on occasion.

the pack has enough room for gels

• Options
    Tchibo in Somerfield have some lil armbands that would take a phone/mp3 player.
  • Options
    I am loving this idea of tying keys to shoe laces, what a nifty idea!
  • Options
    If its just your keys - then most shorts have a lil secret pocket inside the waistband at the front, or sometimes the lycra ones have a zip at the back. One key fits in fine there.

If its a bunch of keys - then I often run for an hour or more with them in my hand. No need for buying stuff ?
  • Options

Yeah, I just carry my keys in my hand too, cannot be bothered carting around all this extra equipment. And my ventolin inhaler stuffed down the waist band of my shorts! (This can leave a bit of a nasty indent in your waist if you run for more than a few hours though, as I have found! Eek!)

The old ipods, money, phones etc just make you a better target for getting mugged I reckon.

• Options

I found - painfully, like Tigerspaw - that the inside "secret" pocket on my running tights means that my mobile sits right on my anterior superior iliac crest (that's your top hip bone for the non-medically minded image) Fortunately one pair has a bum pocket so mowbly now sits there instead. Inhaler goes either in the pocket on my top (also on the back of the garment) and MP3 player in an armband.

Keys get left at home, along with the hubby. image

• Options
    JJ2JJ2 ✭✭✭
    Nathan bottle belt for me, holds a bottle & has a pocket for mobile, keys, spare hankie/loo roll.
  • Options

My running tops have a little pocket in the side for my mp3 with a hole for the headphones so the cable is invisible (it goes up the inside of the top). I tend to leave my phone at home but usually panic that I'll need it for something! I never take money with me unless I'm planning on popping into the corner shop on my way back. My right hand carries my water and my left carries my keys! I don't bother with waterproofs as I'm straight into the shower when I get home anyway so a bit of rain never hurts.

I think I might invest in an armband for my phone though. Like I said I always panic that I'll fall down and break my leg and not be able to do anything cos I won't have my phone.image

• Options
    XorroXorro ✭✭✭

I take my phone, inhaler and door key (I separate it from the others).

I have found that the key will wedge into the top of my inhaler, so I have that in one trouser pocket and my phone in the other.

I think I need to start carrying water as I get so dry at the moment, due to the warmer weather. However, I'm sure that running with a bottle in my hand will be annoying! Might have a look at those do-nut shaped bottles, but would still rather not be carrying anything in my hand. 

• Options

I carried one of those squeezy Lucozade sport pouches in my hand all the way round the Callanish Marathon two weeks ago, dropped the empty at the water stations and picked up my next one (they conveniently organised it so we could leave two of our own drinks at miles 16 and 20 image). This worked fine and I found it quite easy to carry in the collapsable pouch, carrying water bottles just annoys me though.

My inhaler on the other hand was another story..... big red dent in hip ala Basil's 'illiac crest' description above! At least it didnt take the skin off tho.....

I wouldnt normally bother carrying water on a training run if I was coming back to the house, but I would maybe put a drink in the car if I was going somewhere specific to run.