Options

Manners

OK - I admit it. I have a thing about good manners and politeness, so there is a possibility I'm over reacting.

BUT.....when I go to pick my daughter up from nursery I have to bite my lip and deep breath in order to stop myself ranting at the ignorant cow that is picking her kid up too. Not only is she ignorant but she's passing it on to her kids.

My daughter is very young and is not at all stable on her feet. She has just moved up to the toddler class (and loves it). This woman and her kids continually push past me and my daughter to get in/out of the nursery. Yesterday she did it to me twice in the space of 5 minutes, and her eldest lad nearly knocked over my daughter in the effort to get past me.

I opened the door to get into the nursery and they pushed past me, leaving me standing there with the door in my hand. I opened the door to go out, holding daughters hand, they pushed past me. I coughed very loudly as I didn't want to make a scene in front of all the staff and kids at the nursery. But it's only a matter of time before I say something.

I know it's very trivial, actually it looks pathetic now I've written it down, but I do think that manners and discipline go hand in hand - and I am trying to teach my daughter good manners - but it's made a lot more difficult by people who don't appear to even be aware of what they are doing.

Rant over. Feel better now. Thank you so much for reading! (See? Manners!)

Comments

• Options
    I seem to be pretty much the same. I think a lot of manners (rather than etiquette) is based upon how uyou view other people - e.g. not thanking someone for holding a door suggests to me that you don't think much of that person or that you're somehow better than them. Ditto to barging past people
  • Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭

I'm in full agreement with you Loz. Bad manners cost nothing and people who have no manners really annoy me.

Next time you open the door and they barge through just say "Don't mention it". 

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I agree with you Loz, but it's difficult to know what to do.

I'd be inclined to do as FF suggests, but it sounds like they might not get the hint!

If that fails, I'd just stand back and let them get out of my way before trying to get in or out.

• Options

I do normally say something - my favourite is "The word you're struggling for is thank you" but for some reason I'm a lot more hesitant at the nursery.

My hubby keeps laughing cos he reckons I can't hold it in much longer........he wants to be there when it happens.

• Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

...just tell her not to do it as she nealry knocked your daughter over. If I am in a rush and I need to get past someone I would at least have the decency to 'say excuse me can i get past please'.

...if that doesnt sort it out, bitch slap her. image....or leave something sharp and pointy under her car tyre?

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Absolutely agree too, and with FF's advice. And if that fails, stick your foot out and trip them up!image
  • Options

Manners macketh man (and women and children too)

As FF says rather than saying something confrontational, try "don't mention it" or "you're welcome" just let to them know

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Doesn't sound like an over reaction at all Loz - I'd say something or just knock them into the door frame as they go through - that would hurt.

• Options

Pretend you haven't seen the cow and send her flying as you walk through the door you've just opened for yourself.  "My goodness, I'm so sorry, where did you come from!"  (try and cause bruising) image

• Options
    Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭

I had a similar situation at a party last weekend when I had to backtrack down a hallway to let a young lady pass through with  plates of munchies. Not a thank you.....but a look as though I'd just shat in her handbag. w.t.f.????

I honestly believe that half the population have their empathy chips removed at birth.

• Options

There is no excuse for bad manners. It's one of my ultimate pet hates.

Loz I'd be inclined to make a point of saying "excuse me" or "don't mention it" in a loud voice when she next does it. That's what I do. Some people look at you gone out, some ignore you and the odd one will realise what they've done and apologise.

Has anyone read 'Talk to the Hand' by Lynne Truss? It's about rudeness and is a fab and hilarious book! image

• Options

It's getting worse out there people.

I had some 40 something Vicky Pollard look alike shout some obscenities from me from her car window yesterday (Chav-mobile). It was because I was waiting a a junction. image

I thought she might come back to eat me for a moment, but  then realised my fat content was probably too low for her to consider me food.

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I always say "My pleasure" or "don't mention it" (Like Aitch)  when peopel don't say thank you if I hold a door open for them. Do get some funny looks. It used to annoy me but I'm so used to poor manners that I now almost find it amusing.
    I have been known to let doors go just a fraction too early with repeat offenders (you know who you are on the 2nd floor of my building, ignorant tosser).

• Options

Pie her.

And the kid.

• Options
    X-KKDX-KKD ✭✭✭

I can't stand bad manners - there's no excuse.

Rather than throw a comment, pull yourself up tall, smile and say "I hold the door open for you everyday and you say nothing. You and your son barge past my children knocking her off her feet and you say nothing. Is there a reason you continually demonstrate bad manners?"

• Options

Just take a minute, listen to some Bill Hicks and go about your day. Just because some fool is a peasant doesn't mean that they have the right to bring you down. Sooner or later they will realise no one else at the nursery likes then or get there comeuppance.

If your still fuming about it when you pick your kid up today mention it to the staff and get them tell the asshole off. Nothing more humiliating than that in front of your family. image

• Options

There is a lady like that when I go to pick up my son (your not in S. Manchester are you?  We could gang up on herimage)

I would be inclined to say something loudly to your child (but for her benefit) like

"mind out of the way sweetheart as this lady is CLEARLY IN A RUSH!!"

Or ask one of the nursery nurses to say something to her.

Maybe wait til shes gone in and block her car in....

Thats what I'd do, but I am horrible.

• Options

Arrghh.  Bad manners make me very, very angry.

Whilst I tend to move quite quickly and get annoyed with slow people in my way, I would always politely say 'excuse me'.  Likewise thanking people for holding a door open.  It costs nothing.

Think I would probably end up being like you - struggling to say something, whilst secretly boiling inside.

I do quite often go down the 'don't mention it'/well-projected sarcastic remark route but people are so oblivious to their own rudeness they often don't get it.

Probably asking one of the nursery staff to speak to her might be a good idea. But you might just have to bite the bullet and say something to her yourself if it's been going on this long.

• Options
    boy am i so agreeing.  i seem to constantly find myself moveing out of the way for others or having to say excuse me to someone just blocking the whole ailse with their trolley.  here as folk will just push in front of me when i am clearly looking at the shelf.  one time in M&S foodhall i was trying to find salmon cakes when a lady just squeezed right in fornt of me - and we're not meaning quickly either - she just wanted to have a perusal herself.  well - i flapped my arms and said help yourself and moved around her - as i walked off with eyes rolling skyward her husband mouthed "sorry"!
  • Options

I think polite people walk round in constant , silent rage at rude people - I know I do.

But one day brother and sisters, we Polites will rises up against the Rudes. We will  politely round them up,  take them to the gangway of a big ship, (which, of course, they will all stampede up, pushing and shoving each other).

We will then have the ship towed out to sea and sunk.  And it will all be very civilised and we will drink Pimms (which we will thank the waiters for) while we watch them all go down.

• Options

oh boy am i looking forward to that little social gathering SP!!!!!

I will do some nibbles, no, no, I will it'll be my pleasure!! 

• Options
    That's a good idea but would need an awful lot of ships.  I'm not sure there's enough sea either.
  • Options

Oh no Ballini, allow me...... image

The earth is two thirds water, there'll be plenty of room. It will solve the problem of overpopulation and provide food for the polar bears at the same time.

• Options
    you bring the serviettes if you like! 
  • Options

oooh can I tow one of the ships please?

I cannot abide rude people.  Parents just do not teach manners these days. 

I was always told as a child to let adults pass as it was polite.  I go down quite a narrow alley on the way to work.   There is enough room though for two people to pass easily but there is a numpty parent who allows her little darlings skate their bliddy scooters right down the middle and you have to jump in the hedge or get run over.  I tried standing my ground one day and I got a really dirty look from the mum as if to say 'how dare you make my child slow down to get past you!'

GRRRRR image

Don't get me started on rude drivers, I will be here all day.

• Options
    X-KKDX-KKD ✭✭✭
    Shimmy shimmy, some parents do not teach their children manners these days.
  • Options
    actually the worse last week was as i was in a public loo.  i flushed the loo, opened the door inwards to exit and there was a women right outside in the very narrow corridor who didnt even let me out as she squeezed on past me to get in!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

Oooh this strikes a chord.  I walked into town at lunchtime behind a girl on her mobile phone.  You should have heard the language - effing this and effing that every other word.  Don't they know any other adjectives?image

I've just realised how old that comment makes me sound.  Oh well, in for a penny:

AND they don't make tunes like they used to.....