Options

Great gadget, a must have!

Comments

• Options
    crikey mine has been pretty good at sorting itself out thus far... only problem I noted was a bug with the 10K records on the website that thankfully they have sorted out after a month or so.
  • Options

I was given one of these and eventually managed to get the software downloaded and the thing to work. But the display keeps on misting up with condensation and now appears to have completely given up the ghost. I only wear it for running and have had it less than 2 weeks (and it was brand new) !! Must be something fairly wrong with the design of these for this to happen so quickly

• Options
    I've just got the nike + with the sensorin my trainer Just link it with my ipod. Is this gadget better then- the sportsband?
  • Options

I use the sensor with an iPod too.  Mind you I've just dropped it in a sink of water.  Time will tell! My understanding is that the sportsband is just a 'cheaper' way of using the same technology - i.e. without the need for the iPod.

I like the info it gives you and use it in conjunction with a Garmin 50.

I like the info so much in fact that I wish I had a proper (LOL) Garmin which registered HRM, distance, speed etc and cadence on the bike.  But you like and learn I guess!

I do find it motivating to download the data! And look at the graph!

• Options
    Dive Boy wrote (see)

the display keeps on misting up with condensation and now appears to have completely given up the ghost.

After 3 runs, condensation formed inside the glass on mine.  I took it back to the shop and they exchanged it with no problems.  They asked me if I sweated more than normal (I don't!!) as I wasn't the first person to return one with condensation forming.  I did wear it in the rain for one run, surely they must be rain proof!
  • Options
    I empty my salty corrosive sweat (and any rainwater) out of the sportband after every run ( is that a nice image or what?) and never had a ingress problem. I think that on some the seal must be sh*tty.
  • Options

Hi,

Just bought a sportband and seemed to have done the down load ok, however once I have done my first run the icon on screen said it was uploading run but no info on my nikeplus profile.  Please anyone HELP!

Jim

• Options
    I have just bought the sportband having used the ipod + which I love but its a bit tempremental - if I switch shoes it misses miles out freezes. I went for a run this morning with my new sportband did my usual 7 miles - went to upload the sportband it said I had done 3.34 miles gutted. What can I do ?????
  • Options
    James, you may need to download the nike+ utilities again. Its what i had to do although i had a different problem to you. I visited the Q&A pages on nike+ and its very common.
  • Options

Im a band user too, and have had it about 2 months.

I find the overall distance aspect does greatly rely on the whole run/walk thing so be aware that you can pause it if you do want to walk. Dont look at this as cheating, its just a more accurate way of registering your actual running times and will stop your distance being put out when uploading the data...

Eg: The Nike+ 10km run I did was registered .5km over, but then a 6.5km run I did this morning registered as 5.8km....... very annoying when you feel that you have done more than it says, but bear this in mind when forking out £40 rather than £100+ for a Garmin.....

Never experienced the condensation aspect either, and I am a sweaty beast! lol

• Options

Ok, enjoy your sports bands while you can.  Nike have stopped selling them due to all of the complaints and returns they've been getting.  I just returned my second sports band due to the display malfunctioning and was told there's going to be a second version "sometime next year".

A real shame as it was potentially a good product - just let down by poor design and manufacture.

• Options

I've not long had a replacement and all goes well so far although I do think I'll need to recalibrate it - did a 10K and it was 1.83K short.  I had a chat with guy at local SheRunsHeRuns - they say that nike have released a few versions although they won't say how many versions are out, nor which version is actually working properly.

Although i'm okay with spending the £40 - I bought a NavMan a while ago and found it a little more accurate and cheaper!  Think will be returning my second Sportband to SRHR when it decides to give up the ghost - which after reading most reviews, I fear will be sooner rather than later!

C'mon Nike - sort it out!

• Options
    Mine went back to sportshoes.com, never got the replacement and haven't had the refund.
  • Options
    I had recently sent mine back as it had developed a fault with the screen, received a phone call today saying that Nike had started recalling them due to this and they will be re-releasing at a later date.  True or not, I don't know but have received a refund rather than a replacement band.
  • Options
    Sounds similar to what happened to me Sarrie, the girl I spoke to said that they'd had loads of returns.  Hopefully the new and improved version will be out sooner rather than later otherwise I'll get the Garmin forerunner 50 instead.
  • Options
    Same thing happened with mine about a week ago, was just about to send it back this weekend. Did you send yours back to the place you bought it or direct to Nike?
  • Options
    I bought mine from NikeTown on Oxford Circus (I work about 3 tube stops away) so took it back there.  I think some places are still selling them though (until the run out of stock anyway), I ran past Cannon's gym near Cannon street tube the other day and there was a big advert for them in the window so I imagine you can still get them if you look hard enough.
  • Options

I send mine back to the store that it came from.  They called me and told me about the recall and that they have stopped selling it, hence the refund.

• Options
    Thanks, I'll send it back this weekend.
  • Options

I can't believe so many people are having so many problems. I have obvioulsy just been lucky with mine. I love it and haven't had any problems yet. Having said that it will probably break now!! Its such a shame.

I do hope they bring out a new version without the glitches. If it had a back light on it I would buy the new version.

• Options
    Had mine for about two weeks, and about 7 runs. Started getting glitches with the screen yesterday! Looks like the pixels around the characters are going weird. Will be taking it back to the Nike store as soon as I find the receipt.

My issue is, I love the Nike+ system, it's a breeze to use online. Shame the other Nike running watches don't support it.

Guess it's back to the iPod until the new Sportband is out.
  • Options

Think its a real shame with the complaints I am reading on here since my original post... mine continues to give me accurate (Garmin 3.71 miles = SportBand 3.69-3.75miles). I do habitually calibrate it every month. Does not suffer screen problems and I still run with it despite the Garmin as I love the website, concept, records and ease of data download.

I too wish they would put a backlight in it (its got really dark now when I am running!)

• Options

Since I last posted I would like to add that my SportBand has just died (well my sweat managed to get in and wipe out most of the screen). It managed to record the first 500+miles of my running in the last 6 months... I am very much in mourning! I am hoping that Nikestore.com can replace it but from what people have said thus far it would seem that isn't likely!

I spent the evening and some of the morning taking my run details off the nikeplus website and adding it to fetcheveryone.com... Thank God for Garmin and Fetch!

• Options
    I just bought one from John Lewis and I've now taken it back.  The sensor couldn't sense the signal from the transmittor, it's incredibly frustrating; essentially, and it's been said before, it's a prototype that shouldn't have gone to market.  Utter rubbish.
  • Options

I was thinking of getting the missus the Nike+ ipod sensor, however she only wears asics shoes. Is there any way of attaching the motion sensor to another shoe (by the laces for example)?

• Options

I just wanted to say that my nike+ sportband has just died. It seems I was lucky as mine lasted 6 months. From the sounds of things most didn't even last that long! I only had two runs stored on it that I have lost so that isn't too bad either. It could have been a lot more.

I am getting a Garmin Forerunner 405 for Christmas as its not worth the risk of buying a new sportband!!

• Options
    i purchased one a few months ago, it is relatively cheap for what it is, online software is very good i must admit, although i think nike could have gone all out and created a gps one, so it could map your run with elevation too, which is why i went for the garmin 405, but i liked the idea of nike + community, makes you feel part of something
  • Options

In reply to the post from LEYTON CONDOR, I run in Brooks shoes, so cannot use the chip inside my shoe.  All I do is get some simple surgical tape from the supermarket and tape it to the front (top) of my ankle. This position is the same place in relation to your body if it was in the sole in NIKE shoes, just on the top of your foot.  Distance reading is very accurate. Ran the Marlow Half Marathon and the Nike+ Sportband said I'd done 13.86 miles - so not even 1% out !!!  image

It's reads really accurately, never falls off and the tape costs about 50p.  If you buy one of the 'holders' from Amazon or somewhere else you will simply be throwing money away. The chips always fly out of them, plus they are more exposed to the elements. Once I've got the chip in place with the tape, my ankle socks hold it in place just perfect.

So far (touch wood), my Wristband has worked flawlessly for 6 months. I got it in the US for £20 from a NIKE Store. Maybe the US ones were more reliable ??

Either way, fantastic product, will definately replace if mine ever gives up.

• Options

Thanks Shlebo,

I already bought one on saturday with a holder . I might even treat her to a new pair of shoes in January (Nike+ ones).

If I give her a roll of surgial tape with it she might think I'm being a bit tight.

• Options

No problems Leyton,

The best option would definately be Nike+ shoes, but I cannot get on with Nike shoes unfortunately. (Maybe keep the tape idea as an emergency option in case the holder gives you any trouble)

Shelbo    image