Options

life revolving around training.

Hi all,just thought i'd share with you how my training is going.I am training for the cardiff marathon,the date of which has noy yet been announced,training after xmas hadnt gone well because there wasnt much of it and then i was out for a run on the 25th of february and a plan entered my head which was to use the last five days of feb,the whole of march and april just to build up a base of fitness,to lengthen the runs in may and start marathon training proper in june,my marathon is supposed to be on the 28th of september.running i have to say is the most important part of my life at the moment,everything i eat,every hour of sleep which isn't much is geared towards my running,how many more of you feel like this?.

Comments

• Options
    The start of my day is usually very running orientated. The afternoons are for the more mundane things like interacting with non-runners.
  • Options
    Hi
    i hope to run cardiff as well - just like you running has become my life "no more wine thanks running tomorrow!" However feel demotivated at the moment - late jSept seems a long way off
  • Options
    Yep - I feel a gap in my day unless I've completed the day's planned runs.
  • Options
    I haven't run since London- well apart from a coal race practice and I don't miss it after 3 or so days. I think it's like caffeine.
  • Options
    Ran today for the first time since FLM and feel better than I have all week. Hadn't realised how much I was missing it.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    After about 3-4 days break from it I'm normally looking to go out. It's become very much my way of life. Just love it!
  • Options
    Did 6 mile this a.m. Kicked off at 5 and ran steady. The buzz afterwards is so addictive. Definately get down if I miss more than 3 days.
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    For a year now running has been the centrepiece of the day, and I've almost resented rest days.

It's taken a blow just at the moment, partly due to feeling a bit rough, and partly due to the possibility that my (running) goal for the summer may get cancelled. As I'd been planning it for about a year, that's got me down a bit.

If it goes, I'll have to invent something else, but it won't be the same.

It'll be interesting to see if running is the same for me if that trip does get the chop.

I've never felt apologetic about putting running centre stage. Partly because I couldn't for so long, but really because nothing concentrates the mind and body like a run. To conjure both patience and perseverance very deliberately before anything else simply sets the day. And occasionally I'm reward with one of Those Wonderful Runs, and those days - nothing can spoil them.
  • Options
    Don't let youself get down. Read your last paragraph. If your event is cancelled or looks that way, then focus on a substitute for it.Not easy i know. But don't go beating yourself up over matters you have no control over.....too much wasted energy. Focus on the now, if you can't do what you want to in training then look on this spell as the easy run time. Do some thing else if you can.
  • Options
    Which event is it stickless?
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Let's just say, if the plan goes up in smoke, I'll reckon to make my marathon debut in the autumn.

Everybody gets tough times, and this isn't really a down, but I'm positively rattling with anti-biotics, and watch the clock to see when I can next hit the paracetamol at the moment. (Infected face following dog bite). So just sort of hanging on now.
  • Options
    Stickless, hang in there. Get the body fit first, by the sound of it any running will be detremental to the recovery. Easier said than done though. So the marathon in the Autumn as against the summer, more time to prepare. Good luck.
  • Options
    In my mid twenties my obsession (ie. everything I did) revolved around qualifying as an accountant..(achieved some years ago now) now in my mid-thirties my obsession has become firstly completing and now achieveing a sub 4 hour marathon.
  • Options
    Finally think that I've found my sport in running... nothing else compares to it and can't believe how much time I wasted cooped up in a gym before I discovered it.

Somehow running makes the weather seem more tolerable (ok, not difficult this spring, but you know what I mean), and I can splash my way through 'character-building' mud and bounce back home looking rosy-cheeked and v.pleased with myself. Love those days!

My hubby's not a runner though, so sometimes I do feel kinda guilty about the amount of time it takes up.... is that just a paranoid female thing or are there any blokes out there who feel like that if their partners don't run?
  • Options
    My wife doesnt run funily enough nor do 3 and 5 year children ;-) It is difulcult to balance everything as training especially marathon training takes alot of time. Its also important though to set good role models for the children and my 5 year daughter always wants to go running 'cos daddy does.
    Having run through all the seasons in there full glory for a couple of years now you do really appreciate how beautiful and how wicked it can be. Something I didnt appreciate before I started running.
  • Options
    Oh, what a relief to see that I am not the only one who is addicted to running, it is all I think about. I have been running for about 2 years and am doing my first half marathon (GNR) in Sept. I run 3 times a week and go to the gym 3 times a week. My husband and 2 teenage daughters are tolerant because they say running makes me a nicer person! I run with a club and have a female running buddy. First thing we do when we get to work is to e-mail a post run report to one another, general feeling of how the run went, any aches etc. If for some reason the report is late, ie just after 9.00am we will send a text just to make sure the other one is in work! My work colleagues don't understand the addiction.