Options

Calling all Bupa Great North Run hopefuls

Comments

• Options
    Name: Noel Carroll

Me!

I started competitive running at 16, and promptly stopped at 17! When I started university I tried again to begin running lasting almost to my final year. Finally 7 years on, I’m stringing together some good training.

Why me?

Combining a clear positive goal with the additional support would allow me to stop kidding myself and actually, really, focus on running well.

I absolutely need a strong goal in mind. At university stress fractures due to very little awareness of how to approach training and competition, resulted in no running. On graduating I was working very anti social hours unable to fit in regular training other than on my own.

At present I have rekindled my passion for running and I am starting to compete again. But I am doing all of this solo. I am a member of a club but do not receive any one-to-one support or guidance.

Currently I work in the fitness industry helping others to achieve their goals but leave little or no time for my own. Consequently the words of coaches from the past haunt me. “You’ll never know how good you could be if….” Has been uttered more than once. So how far could I go and how do I get there are the questions I’ve been asking myself lately? This is the opportunity for me to answer this question.

Current Goals:
    Ultimately sub 1:12. October 2008 1:16-18
  • Options

I haven't really done a lot of running, a couple of London Marathons, a few halfs, a few more 10k but in general I just run to keep fit.

The reason to train me, I intend to run 65 miles in June 2009 to celebrate the 65th anniversary of D-Day, raising money for the service personnel injured due to conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan. Currently I have suffered a knee and hip problem from self training and need some expert advice to reach my goal.

My goal, to complete the Geat North in a reasonable time and collect money on the way for Project 65.

• Options

Another vote for Torque Steer.  He is very disciplined in his training; he analyses his performance and is continually striving to improve.  I believe that with this training package he will achieve his target of running sub 1:30 in the GNR.

He is always ready with advice for his fellow runners and is a charming and witty contributor to the over 60's training thread  image

Vote Torque Steer!

• Options
    Me: Only started running 2 years ago at 43 years old. Did the London Marathon twice the last time was sub 4hrs. I did last years GNR after sleeping in my people carrier near the start (didn't get a wink of sleep) in 1:58

Why me?

I need the help training juggling my busy/ stressful management retail job and training. I have a GNR place again and my wife who is with a running group has a place also. So far I haven't done any serious training after the London Marathon I need a serious push.

Goal 1:45
  • Options
    I hereby nominte kate morrey, she may not be the worlds greatest runner but she would win gold medal for detemination & for that reason alone i think she should get a GNR place.
  • Options
    Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭

I vote Brian the Snail image
  • Options

Name: Anna Phillips

I started running about 10 years ago to try and keep up with my dad. He has run over 350 marathons now, and about 300 or so half marathons, and I am now trying to catch him up! I have now done 4 marathons, and about 10 half marathons. With my current efforts of 1 marathon a year, I'll be over 350 years old before I catch the old man up! So please help me keep up with him! When we go out running together I slow him down.

My aim would be to run the half in 1 hour 50, then hopefully I'lll beat him!

I would also like to nominate my dad David Phillips to get a place as he has given me so much encouragement over the years and a race would be fun! 

• Options

Name: Mick Burt.

I first started running when I was about 12 & I went to Monkseaton Polytechnic. I used to compete in local competitions, ran for my school and also my county. When I was 14 I competed in my first Great North Run (2:40) and have since completed several, including 1 Edinburgh marathon. Now I just run as a recreational activity and to keep fit. Last year I decided time was running out to try and beat my best time of 1:27 which was completed when I was 16, but this was the first year of the slightly shorter ‘junior race’. Unfortunately in November I had a very serious mountain bike accident. This resulted in a bruised and bleeding brain, two broken bones in my neck, a cracked eye socket, several days in a coma and an air lift from one hospital to another! Not that I remember. I was released from hospital mid January and my rehabilitation started. I am currently serving in the Royal Air Force and have since found out that because of my injuries I have been overlooked for promotion. Privately I am determined to get back to running 10 miles or so and this would spur me on no end, and, with a little bit of professional training from yourselves may put me back on track at work.

• Options

Well this is my big "50" this year and It's 25 years since I ran my first raceimage

My best time during this was 35.07 for a 10k in Glasgow.  I done the Glasgow marathon  after only having run 13 miles, as I thought it's "only" another 13 - big mistake.  I ran it in 4hr 25.  Proud and exhausted they put the medal round my neck and I must have looked like one of those "dunking ducks" as the weight of the medal pulled me down.   I couldn't hardly lift my legs to walk to the car and my husband said I was mad.  In true runners spirit I replied "think I'll train more next year!"  Next year was 3hr 25, and no pain.

I've raised a few thousand for different charities over the years, and I reckon there's life in the old dog yet.

Never done the Great North Run so it could be my "Silver Running Anniversary Present".image

• Options

Name: Dave Root (It seems the second)

Brief running history: London Marathon in 2005 4:21 various 10ks normally 55-60mins

Reason why we should train you: I've always had to fight against my running/drinking and smoking hobbies. after a 2 year break from running I'm now back and am off the alcohol and smoking completely, for one last chance to become a real runner 

Half-marathon goal: err 1:30 or is that to quick?
  • Options

I commenced running at school and enjoyed all terrains, since then it has not just been a hobby but part of my every day life. I am a member of an athletics club but unfortunately do not get down often so subsequently run on my own. I have achieved lots of personnel goals in my running career and am proud of this, and hopefully will pass my inspiration for running onto my children.

I would like to take part in this team challenge as i do run on my own and being part of a team working towards the same goal would be another success story for me. I can hopefully pass my motivation and determination on to the other other members of the team. I have achieved the Great North Run before so am up for the challenge but not on my own this time.

Thank you. 

• Options
    Name Justine Gordon

brief running history, I've done a couple of half marathons, one last year and one this year - the Dover half marathon.

reasons why we should train you _ My times have been around 2 hours 20 and I just really want to get better and train to a specific programme and when I saw your competition I realised that this is just what I need to get motivated. Please pick me, I promise to try my hardest and it sounds so good and I would love to be part of it all.

half marathon goal - two hours would be fab
  • Options

i have completed 15 london marathons since 1986.  i will be running in the great south run this year but have never run the great north run before. since 1984 i have completed over 200 half marathons. i am getting older and slower (60 next year) but still love my running . my best time for half marathon was 1hr 31mins many years ago.  would just love to get under 2 hours these days. perhaps being part of a team would help

• Options
    I would love to take part in the greatest 1/2 marathon in the world ,my running history started 10 years ago as part of a burgeoning mid life crisis(at the time I could only just run a bath!)I was fat unfit and nearly forty , I have since competed and completed 6 mountain marathons /10 mixed distance triathlons, several 10k's and a ultra 54 mile thames meander. I have recently started my own busines and as such have lost my focus on training due to a lack of time , I would love to engage the help of the worlds best to re-establish my running programme and give me the confidence to stride out in the 2008 Great North Run.I believe with the right programme and support I could  break 1 45.
  • Options
    i've read the last 613 posts in careful detail, it is absolutely obvious to me that Bryan the Snail is the best and most deserving candidate.

i'd give anything to see the look of pleasure on his ruddy face after he succesfully follows a training plan, i think he would be an inspiration to all.
  • Options

Name Claire Harding

Brief running history: I love to run and I have always loved to watch big events on television, or in person or best of all as a competitor.. I feel an emtional connection when I see each individual's battle no matter how fast or slow to reach the finish line. GNR is an event that always inspires and excites. I would love to run it but I need help. I've been prone to injury over 2 years because I'm always over training and my technique needs refining. I need a team to help me train to my individual ability and advise me on what I should and should not do. I'm not fast but I'm full of enthusiasm for my sport.

Half marathon goal - to get back under 2 hours - it's been a while

• Options
    name alan britten

brief running history, ran gnr 5 times beatin pb four of those times.pb now 1hr.37mins,ran about nineteen 10k's in the 5 years ive been running.

reasons why we should train you, my training has totally slipped and become very unstructured this year and has been getting me down.i need some motivation and something to aim for to get back on track and improve my running,this will help me get back to enjoying running.

half marathon goal, 1hr 33mins or better if possible
  • Options

Name: Chris Mosiuk

Brief running history: Running is something that's always been around me. During my younger years my Dad ran in many events, but stopped for a good ten years. Last spring he picked it back up again and asked me along. I've always enjoyed my sport, and being extremely competitive with my dad I couldnt resist! We've been running for just over a year now with Trentham Running Club, completing 3 half marathons and 3 10K events. My best half marathon came at last years Great North Run, in a time of 1:36:04. Crossing the line in that time at only my second long distance race really gave me a buzz. Due to studying commitments I decided not to apply for this year's GNR. Now my work load has quietened down I really regret it!

Reason why we should train you: I'm quite an 'all-rounder' and always have been, enjoying football, badminton, squash and running. Pretty good at most sports, but not a top performer in any. With a direction and strict guidance in one discipline I believe I can achieve a real goal, and suprise one or two people on the way. I'm quite a way off becoming one of my running club's top performers, but with help to get up close I'd have the right attitude to push myself and begin challenging them!

Half-marathon goal: Following last years success, I'd love to smash my own PB (and my Dad's!). With a solid 10 week training schedule behind me I'd like to be very ambitious and aim for 1:20:00. I'd also like to be fit enough to run back along the last stretch of the GNR and coach my Dad (Walter Mosiuk) over the finish line - but he hasn't got a place either!

• Options
    Running history - started running in 2005 by running the Sheffield Half Marathon. Since then I've run eight more half marathons best time 1hr 48 mins and two full marathons with a best time of 3 hrs 58 mins.

Target time 1 hr 40 mins.

My training is pretty much the same all the time and I need someone to show me how to spice up the training with some variety.
  • Options
    Another vote for BtS, partly to encourage him to see what he can do, and partly because he is one of the nicest, most helpful people I know.
  • Options
    I would like to vote for Bryan the Snail.

I've known Bryan for a few years and he's one of the good guys. I'd really like him to get the support and training to achieve his goals. Bryan has been a great supporter of races and would happily go the extra mile to support and help others (no pun intended) - It would be great to see him rewarded in return for his efforts.

• Options
    Name : Aidan Naughton

Brief Running History:

After 20 years of business lunches and idleness, I knew I had to change. I was so overweight, I’d started to get my ears pierced, so the kids could watch TV. Drunk and with my guard down, I was persuaded to run the Bristol Half Marathon in 2003. I have loved running every since and I ran my first marathon last year.

Why we should train you:
    My goal is to qualify for the London Marathon in the “good for age” category with a sub 3 hour time. I’d dearly like to achieve this at the New York Marathon in November. However, I have hit something of a psychological brick wall as I train alone. My best half marathon time is 1.28 which is a little way off the Runners World’s predicted race time of 1.25 but it is within touching distance. As the world’s biggest half marathon is just one month before, the prize offers a once in a lifetime opportunity to achieve two personal bests and get me on the road to London. Could the coaching, support and inspiration provided by the Lucozade team help me give more? The answer is Yes!

Half Marathon Goal: 1.25
  • Options

Karen Cooper

Never ran before 2005, ever. Did no exercise at school. Same old story - had asthma, nearly died doing cross-country and always had a letter to get me out of doing anything. Then signed up for the bristol half-marathon with a team from work in 2005. Did 5 mins on the treadmill and almost had a heartattack and wanted to give up but kept going with their encouragment and managed it in 2hr 11. Went on to do the bristol half in 2006 and the bath half in 2007 but all in about the same time. Signed up for the bristol 2007 again and was determined to run faster but broke my ankle playing badminton!! So that was a no go. Since then have been VERY slack and really really want to beat my 2hr 11. Ideally i want to crush the 2hr barrier but it's difficult to get the motivation to do it. This might just make me do it.

And i want to show my boyfriend Matt ( who can do it in 1hr 29) that i can win his bet! 1hr 59min here i come....

• Options

Name: Matthew Henry Burr

Brief running history: I've just managed to do my first 10k on a treadmill.Have attended a few local running club evenings on and off for the last year or so.

Reason why we should train you: This prize is about the journey that we can share when you pick me.Runnersworld, my fellow readers and I.I have a long way to go to achieve my goals both in life and for the half marathon, but with the right support I can be one of the six with the potential to benefit the most.Being unemployed I've lacked focus recently.Your prize would give me that target I so desperately need and with your help be able not only to achieve something but to perhaps give something back to charity through sponsorship at the same time.Oh and I've never been up North!

Half-marathon goal: To get round in reasonable shape and not be overtaken by too many costumes, and to learn about race nutition so I stay "energised" throughout.

• Options

I started running in March 2008, I-4 times a week, however on average I would say I have been going 3 times a week.  I  entered my first  race, 5km, and finished it in 30minutes in June, without any walking breaks, however exhusted and gasping for air!  I trainned on level ground and wasn't use to running up hill and there were a few to tackle during the run.  Later that day I went to bed with a serious migrane (which I but down to the heat and dehydration!) But I gave myself a pat on the back and drifted into sleep with a smileimage

My current goals is to complete The Bupa Great North Run, without taking any walking breaks.. and as I cross that finishing line, to have enough energy left to be able to smile and pose in my LUCOZADE SPORT SUPER SIX RUNNING KIT, for the camara!

I deserve this package because my attitude towards my running is the same attitude I have towards my spiritual life..which is "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? run in such a way as to get the prize"...determination and enthusiasm  I have, but support, advice and direction is what I need!

• Options
    Paul Harvey:

I ran the Great North Run last year in 2h 13m after doing the Great Manchester Run 3 times. I have always enjoyed running since being at school, but in the last few years have began to take it more seriously.
    I have a place in the GNR this year and can’t wait to take part in this fantastic event again.
    I feel that now is the time to up my game with some serious structured training and being part of the Lucozade Sport Super Six would be a fantastic opportunity.
    I am an A&E Ambulance Technician in Manchester and feel that I deserve this opportunity for every person I’ve picked up in the last 8 years, some, of course, more worthy than others !! To have a training schedule & nutrition plan would be priceless in helping me reach my full potential and reach my ultimate goal of a successful London Marathon (a boyhood dream !)
    Wife’s birthday: '6'/11/75, my birthday: 5/'6'/73, daughter’s birthday: 12/2/'06' & being part of the Lucozade Sport Super '6' ... it’s meant to be !!!
    I’ve always fancied going on Big Brother or ‘such-like’, but the wife’s not so keen, and surely this is the ‘next best thing’!!! A video diary could be very entertaining !!

My goals would be: under 2 hours in the GNR and then the London Marathon dream !
    Oh, and to lose my ‘love handles’ !
  • Options
    I am a fifty-six year old, soon to be fifty seven who escaped kidney cancer twelve years ago. It made me determined never to stay a night in hospital again.
    Since then I have tried many amazing sports, scuba diving, yoga, and two years ago took up rowing - i had great fun competing in a squad where the youngest member was nineteen. I had to start to run to keep my level of fitness up for regattas and long distance races called 'heads'. I hated it at first until encouraged by a good friend Jill to enter for a 5k charity run - Jill already had her free bus pass - since then we have completed two 5k's and are just about to run our third 10k.
    Unfortunately for me Jill is retiring soon to Dorset and I need a motivation to keep running on my own, because I still have a competitive streak and would love to do a marathon at 60 - I went paragliding for the first time at 50! and who knows what I can achieve at 70.
    This opportunity would give me the support and structure to keep going and achieve my dream of being the fittest granny - first grandchild arriving in December - on the block
  • Options

Name : Scott Larkin

Brief running history : Started running in march 2007, after moving out of manchester city centre, entered Manchester's 10k as an aim to lose weight and start exercising. Managed to complete in just over an hour, suffer from shin splints all the time, but enjoy running so keep going, find it hard and difficult to motivate myself especially with 2 young kids but have managed to do 4 races so far, doing a 10k in less than hour in may, did my first trail race finishing 107 from 120, i just want to be a better runner, love it, but never seem to get any better.

Reason : because i desperately need it and want to pass that 10k barrier for the first time, as i've never ran beyond it.  want to inspire my son to run and become healthy unlike i was.

Half marathon goal : 13 miles in 1 go.

cheers

• Options

Name: Trudi Collus
    Brief running history:I started running in 2006, having no previous training. I run with a small local group once a week, and independently once or twice per week also. As I live in a mountain area, I run trails as well as some road running.I have competed in four 10km races. My best time is 59.04.

Reason why we should train you: I'm looking for inspiration to improve both my training and capabilities.I can comfortably run 10km now, and would love the opportunity of proffessional advice and structure in order to move up a step.My husband is working away during september and october this year, and I'd love a challenge and focus!

Half-marathon goal: Would be to complete my first ever half marathon with a smile on my face image , no injuries, and the feeling I can move on from here- maybe one day to a full marathon?