Options

10k in September - need a kick up the backside

So I ran (with walk breaks) my first 5k last Sunday in 36 minutes. Considering I couldn't even run for a minute at the end of April, and had started a cold the evening before, I was quite pleased although I had hoped to do it in under 35 mins.

Anyway, shortly after starting with the running, I entered a 10k in September (knowing full well if I didn't that the running would have gone by the wayside after the 5k - I have to have something to aim for). I have done nothing this week - to be fair, I have been suffering from the aforementioned cold and was in Central London on a course at the end of the week, with little time to do anything, but I'm annoyed with myself and a sort of inertia has come over me.

The cold is mostly gone, although I'm still snotty, but I'm off out running tomorrow morning when the kids are at nursery.  I think I will post my training on here (like Norm did) as further motivation to get my backside out of that door, but please feel free not to read it! Please give me a kick up the backside along with 20 reasons to go running and no reasons not to go running...........(I am hoping I will be allowed to buy a Garmin if I finish that 5k!)

Comments

• Options

Improvement brings motivation, in my opinoin, if you think having a garmin will help, get it, but at the bear minimum, log your runs on paper/pc so you can see your improvements.

Follow a good schedule, and you will be fine for the 10k, plus, it will help with your motivation.

• Options
    Kate SpeedKate Speed ✭✭✭
    This morning did 5k (according to my Nike+ which seems to be quite accurate when compared to map my run) in 34:37 (I did R4L in 36:20). It felt rubbish - I walked for the best part of the 4th and 5th km (think I started too fast). Starting the 10k plan in "Running Made Easy" on Wednesday.
  • Options
    Yeah, its very easy to go too fast, try and pace yourself, does the Nike+ have realtime pacing, or a virtual partner?
  • Options
    Kate SpeedKate Speed ✭✭✭

No it doesn't unfortunately - it's just a glorified pedometer really, but it was still really nice to have Lance Armstrong congratulating me on my fastest 5k!

I have to remember to go as slow as I possibly can and then go slower still.

• Options
    I actually find it really tough to go slow, it actually hurts more, and is more effort to run at a slow rate (not that I am particularly fast when I am not trying to run slow!!!)
  • Options

Hi Kate

Is that the book on Amazon? What does the schedule look like (and is it in English!).

Helen

• Options
    Kate SpeedKate Speed ✭✭✭

Yes, it's in English (I assume by english you mean it doesn't have any of this R3W2x4 stuff in it) ! And it's on Amazon. Here is a link.

Depends which schedule you want - there is a run/walk schedule as well as 10k, half and marathon (yeah right - in my dreams!) schedules in there.

• Options

Hi Kate,

I have found it very motivational to post my training on here. It is especially beneficial for me to state my goals and short term training plans. I feel that if I have said it on here then I have to do it.

You sound as if you are doing really well. A 5k in under 35 mins is way better than most people you will come into contact with every day. What worked for me was to make sure that one run a week was increasing in dinstance. Once you do a 6 or7k going back to the 5k on the next run feels like a rest.

In the course of my training the furthest run I manaed was 8k. I would have preferred to have done 10k or more in training but knew that if I could do 8k then 10k on the day would not be out of reach.

Also be careful of taking the Nike+ data too seriously. I think that as your stride changes the innacuraces of the system become more apparent. Don't get me wrong, it is fantastic for motivation and comparative stats. It is just that it seemed to record a longer distance than I actually run. Not too worrying at 5k but probably misleading at 10k and above.

Good Luck and I look forward to reading your progress.

Norm.

• Options

I too am doing a 10k in September and just ran the Race for Life last weekend in 31:46, so was dead chuffed- just started running after having a baby (all right, I had him last april, so just got round to exercising again, can't really consider myself a "new" mum!!)

I have no clue how to make a start in making the leap from 3 miles to 6.  Increase time by 5 mins per run?  Increase distance?  change runs and try to do longer ones, or do the same and add a bit on?

Help!!  Not being of much help to you here, but would like to join you and ask how you're going to do it.

Map my run gives me different distances to what I expect too- some runs are way shorter than my time and legs think they are, but some are longer!

catherine

• Options
    Kate SpeedKate Speed ✭✭✭

Norm, I'm not taking the Nike+ too seriously don't worry, but I do like the graphs and things, plus I can see if my time improves over the same distance or if I go further over the same time if you see what I mean. Mine actually seems to underestimate how far I run - so if it's 3.5k say on map my run, the Nike+ will say I ran a little less far than that.

Catherine, I'm going to follow the 10k plan in "Running Made "easy" I start tomorrow with - R5,W3 x 2, which looks quite easy after 5k, but it quickly gets harder! I think generally, the advice is to increase your total weekly running distance by no more than 10% each week - starting by adding it to your longer run, but others will know more about that than I do.

• Options

Kate - what a GREAT name!!

Always been a bit of a gym/fitness fanatic and the thing that helps is:

The athletes that stand out are the ones who train when they REALLY don't feel like it (bit coldy, tired, it's raining, etc)

The rest only train when they are in the mood/conditions are great and never truly excel.

Works for me anyway!

• Options
    Hi Kate and Catherine..
    I'm going to jump on your wagon too if you don't mind...! I've only just started the running again, I did it a year or so ago for a few months but let it slip and ended up putting on *cough* stone, soooo signed up for a 10k run in September (the one at Belvoir Castle in Leicestershire0 and am getting nervous already!

I'm currently following the running plan in the Run for Life book by Sam Murphy but am concerned that it won't get me to a standard where I will be able to run the whole 10k. At the moment I've only been going for a couple of weeks and am still W2R1x6 route. I wonder if there's enough time left!

I don't know how you two feel but all I really hope for is that I start noticing a difference in my fitness. Because once I do then I will know I have to continue because it is working. But what if it doesn't work for me?! What if i can never get passed this more walking than running and I am never meant to be a runner?!

Ah well, maybe I should stop worrying!

Sorry that i've not helped you remotely Kate but you're not alone and in reality you're probably in a better position than me!!!!

Good Luck!!!
  • Options
    Kate SpeedKate Speed ✭✭✭

I often think the same Scooby, but September is nearly 3 months away (well, my 10k is at the end of September), so we WILL get there. I can't run a whole 5k by any stretch of the imagination and I'm not sure I'll be able to run a whole 10k by September either, but if I don't try, then I never will.

Matt, looks like I'm going out in the pouring rain tomorrow then image (not that I'll ever ever be an outstanding athlete). The name used to be the bane of my life (was teased at school), but I quite like it now!

• Options

Hi Kate - sorry, not trying to pretend I'm some kind of athlete image just fairly fit (I think!.

I almost get more of a kick from training (afterwards!) when I need to push myself to do it than when I feel like it in the first place - guess it's the transition from feeling a bit lethargic, to feeling better again albeit sweaty and breathless!). 

• Options
    You're right, if we don't try then we definitely won't do it! Ah well, at least we are making the effort and doing a hell of a lot more than some people are i guess. Well, keep going. I'm certainly going to try my best to stick with it. I've figured that I don't like running in the heat so it's early mornings for me (but I don't like them much either!!!) so bring on the winter!!!

Good luck and keep me posted!

Kerry
  • Options

Hi Kate,

I think you are doing the Swansea 10k aren't you? You can always plod around with me if you like? I cannot run 5k at the moment, so 10k will be a challenge!

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Helen

• Options

I don't suppose any of you are doing the Anglesey Marathon 10k by any chance are you ?  That's 21 Sept and that's the one I'm doing.  I really wanted to sign up for the Swansea one but went for one closer to home instead! 

I too and a newbie...only started training 3 weeks ago and it's just nice to know i'm not the only one who is new to all this.  I have been aiming to do 4-5 5k runs a week as well as weights in the gym and some treadmill running...not sure if i'm doing any of it right!  Oh...I've never entered a race in my life...I should probably try and do a 5k first shouldn't i??

• Options
    Kate SpeedKate Speed ✭✭✭

Yes, Helen, I am doing the Swansea 10K - if you want to plod along together, that'd be nice, but you'll probably leave me far behind!

This evening has seen (R5,W3)x2. I found a slow pace that I was quite comfortable with and hardly broke a sweat, so I shouldn't have too much trouble with Friday which will be (R7,W2)x2 - it starts off quite gently this plan, but then gets hard quite quickly. My poor quads ache a bit though.

• Options

Hi Kate

I am not sure i will leave you behind but once I have my race number I will post it up here so we can find each other!

I am going to follow the Bupa 10k plan, it is 8 weeks long, so I will do weeks 7 and 8 of their 5k plan first as I think I will be able to handle it... well probably!

• Options
    Kate SpeedKate Speed ✭✭✭

Been for my first Club run this evening and did 5k in 38 minutes (Ikept up with them - the whole way!). So it seems I can run better than I thought I could. I actually feel like I might manage the 10k after that!

I got a sort of perverse pleasure from running in the wind and pouring rain!

• Options

Goon on ya Kate.

You will have no problems with the 10k if you keep this up.

Norm

• Options
    Kate SpeedKate Speed ✭✭✭
    Just been to the gym today - legs are still a bit sore after Friday evening's effort so thought cross training would be better, although I did go on the treadmill for 15 minutes. Hopefully, I will manage an easy run tomorrow.
  • Options
    You do feel sort of self righteous coming in from a wet and windy run don't you!
  • Options
    Kate SpeedKate Speed ✭✭✭
    Arrrggghhhh! Why can I not keep running when I'm on my own, yet I did it no problem at all when I was with the group? Been out this evening - walked, then ran around a 900m loop to calibrate my Nike + thingy, then ran another 500m and gave up and walked back home. Granted my lags are a little sore still from Friday's run and the gym yesterday but even so!
  • Options
    I seem to be going thro' a similar patchimage, I used to be able to  get through the tough sections, but since coming back from injury I'm really struggling when on my own, all my grit appears to have disappearedimage
  • Options

That's why I need to be one of the Great North Run Super Six image

• Options

Just been reading all the posts, keep up the good work Kate and to Helen as you are both climbing to the next step.

My aunt and dad went though the same thing with the stopping and starting on there own yet when they ran with me or each other they were fine. After a couple of runs of it happening they began to realise it was because they were thinking negative. Instead of them thinking "i'm not going to make it" or "i'm doing a rubbish time so i'll give up anyway". They turned it into "i will get to the next lamp post and when i get to that i will get to the next one after that", or "i will finish no matter what the time". 

When running with someone you tend to talk to the other person, and with running in a group its the human nature to be competitive. With all of that happening, your mind tends to forget all the negatives that it generates to get out of a situation.

So remember when your feeling like giving up while running. Look up from the ground and set that goal whether its a lamp post, tree or even that large stone on the ground, because you will make it to the end.

• Options

Hi Kate - am in a similar position to you. I ran my first 5k 7 weeks ago in 36 mins and have my first 10k on 20th July - only 9 days away!

2 weeks ago i did another 5k race, finished in 30mins and was dead chuffed but it very nearly killed me, and there is absolutely no way i could imagine doing that twice. Have managed a v, v slow 8k once, and am hoping to try for a 9k this Sunday.

I'm hoping to finish in 1hr 10 but really my main goal is just to finish the thing without any walking and right now i can't for the life of me imagine how i'm going to do that! 

• Options
    Kate SpeedKate Speed ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone. Didn't go out yesterday partly because of the weather and partly because my muscles were STILL sore (they almost recover but not quite and I go running/to the gym again and set them off again). Another club run tomorrow and this time I will REST until they don't hurt anymore I think - but then it just feels like I'm not doing enough running and will never build up that endurance.

Is resting the right thing to do with sore muscles?

• Options
    Depends how sore I'd guess - sometimes you don't want to, but a little gentle run is just what they need, even if it's only 10 minutes, it just means you can say you've been out, and it stretches then a bit.