Options

Runner's knee - knee support recommendations?

Hi,

I have finally deduced that I am suffering from "runners knee". seems that this came on when I started wearing shorts again during the warmer summer weather. I think that my running tights must afford some sort of support. to the knee (then again maybe not). Anyway,  I have an old neoprene knee support that I wore today and I got no pain at all from my knee. The suppport slipped down a couple of times however and wasn't the most comfortable.

Can anyone recommend a knee support product that they have used for "Runners Knee" ailments that is comfortable and stays in place?

Comments

• Options

If it's actually 'runners knee' then a support isn't solving the problem. Stop running for a week, strengthen your quads by cycling/ski squats, ice the knees a few times a day and it goes away - depending on how bad it is it might take a while. Seeing as you've managed to run on it for so long though if you take a cross-training/strengthening routine seriously then you might be lucky - having spent 2 months complaining, my boyfriend's has cleared up in 5 days (you would think his legs were going to fall off a week ago). Mine took 3 months, though I think my quads were very weak.

I would go and see someone to see if it actually is Runner's knee though.

• Options

I'd agree with dancing in spikes - you're far better off resting and then strengthening up other parts of your body that may be currently having an impact on the knee.

I've had a spate of ankle and knee problems which all, in the end, turned out to be due to weaknesses in quads, glutes and hips (thus putting strain on my lower legs), all of which I'm now working to strengthen, as well as doing plenty of cross-training.

I used to wear a support on one ankle, and a support on the knee on the other leg.  These days, due to the strengthening, I wear neither.

If cross-training/strengthening doesn't help, it's worth having it looked at though.  Ideally (with a bit of work), your body should be capable of providing its own joint support.

• Options
    You need to be clear about which of the several different conditions called "runner's knee" you actually have. Whichever, it's very unlikely to be caused by not wearing tights.

A knee support is more likely to harm than heal unless you've been instructed to wear it by an expert.

I agree with the two posts above - you're better off addressing the cause of the problem.
  • Options
    kamoshikakamoshika ✭✭✭
    I'd go and see a proper sports physio. I was getting knee pain a couple of years ago, and it turned out to be caused by a weak ankle from a sprain a few years before that. My ankle wasn't supporting my knee properly which was putting extra strain on it and causing the pain. Did some work strengthening the ankle, and the knee was just fine.
  • Options
    Swerve is right - runner's knee is very general. The way I understand it, which may be completely wrong, the supports (that look a bit like ski clips) are more for jumper's knee, which is patella tendonitis, where as runner's knee is patella femoritis, which is best treated by strengthening whatever is causing it, and you won't know that unless you go and see someone. (and yes, there was probably some very dodgy spelling in there too).
  • Options

the symptoms I have match those that I have read for runners knee and one site I looked at recommended doing straight leg raises that cause "isometric muscle contractions"

http://www.saga.co.uk/health/healthyliving/bodymatters/bodymattersknees.asp

so I'll make a point of doing these daily and also use some resistance to kelp build up those muscles that don't get used when running. I'll see if this has an effect without wearing the knee support. 

• Options

I did those "isometric" exercises all week, I went out running today, without the knee support - and no pain. Superb! now part of my exercise regime I can tell you!!

I did also have a new pair of running shoes on, perhaps had the last pair for a bit too long.