Options

Race time imrpovements as mileage increased

12346»

Comments

• Options
    I'm quite happy not knowing what race pace feels like image
  • Options
    I currently run an average of 40mpw - this includes sessions on mon and weds at 6pm and a longish (9-10 miles) run on a fri at about 4pm. I currently do about 3 miles easy pace on a tues lunchtime. Do you think there would be any benefit to doing 3-4 miles easy every lunchtime? This way I could add another 12-16 miles to my weekly mileage but would there be much benefit and would it be too close to my evening sessions? Advice appreciated, thanks.
  • Options

Ferdy:  I would max out on all other sessions first before incorporating 2 sessions a day.  Once you have "maxed out" then gently bring in the lunch sessions (say once a week to begin with).   However, I would be concerned that a lunch run would be too close to an evening run?  A morning run maybe but lunch could be too close?

Do you run Sat, Sun Thurs?

• Options

Sat - usually 5 miles with a small speed session (I take a beginners group). Sun - 12-15 miles. Thurs is my rest day.

What do you mean by "max out"?

• Options

max out = you feel you can't add anymore to your current sessions in terms of mileage or speed/tempo sessions. 

Thurs = good to see you have a rest day.

2 sessions a day is a good thing if your body can cope with it - as i say, perhaps a gradual introduction to see how your body copes.  I would talk to the guys on the FLM Forum (Sub3) and see whtat they have to say . I would also look at the advice of Hal Higdon and P+D.

• Options
    I can't add anymore to my other sessions in terms of time which limits adding mileage. The mon and weds sessions are speed/tempo with a little (15-20min) speedwork on the fri and/or sat too so I'm reluctant to add more speedwork. I feel like I've really plateaued in my progress and I don't know whether introducing doubles like this will help or hinder me!
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Hi.I'm currently following the RW Smartcoach plan which is mainly easy runs, a long run most weeks and one day either speedwork or tempo runs. Working towards doing 10k June 21st, and currently running 57m this week,and 220 m for May. I have found that my times have improved as the mileage has increased. 
  • Options

Amsterdam 2008 .....      18 week schedule 50-70mpw, new PB 3.58
    Bungay 2009....                18 week schedule 40-60mpw, new PB 3.42

....more can be less.

• Options

That's really interesting Lardarse - what would you put the difference down to? Better quality training?

Jason - what does your 57m break down to in terms of miles each day?

• Options

when you reduce weekly mileage you still have all the other miles in your legs. How a person performs in any given race is not just due to what they've done in the weeks leading up to it, but also the months and years beforehand.

Increased mileage is generally a good thing, but accumulated mileage also counts.

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Have to agree Bazza

Explains how i managed to pb in a half marathon when due to injury hadn't run further than 7½ miles in the previous 2 months

In other words all your fitness doesn't mysteriously vanish if you stop running for a week
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

just to update...sneaked my 10k down on a very undulating course down to 37:26, afetr getting 5k down to 17:37 on tuesday, 2 pbs in one week for first time ever!

Macmillan calculator reckons a 36:36 10k can be possible off 17:37 5k so we'll see with a flat 10k soon hopefully!

• Options

Keep it going Stevie G mate, your improving quickly!

Check out my 10k thread, could do with some wise advice from you oh wise one image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

wise one is very generous indeed.

just curling out the mileage is bringing times down. With an actual coach telling me how stupidly i'm training could be much quicker results!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

did another 5k on tue and down to 17:23 now...so it's going the right direction

macmillan reckons that could give a 36:09 10k...so i best be looking for a flat course methinks!

• Options
    Hi there.

I have found this particular thread rather interesting. As a newcomer to the forum i have been quite suprised by the amount of miles some are running per week in their training. I have personally never tried the method of increased mileage, however i can defintley see how it could lead to improvement.

Around 2-3 years ago, i was running quite competitively for my school and local club at the age of 15. My training mainly consisted of a few casual steady runs, intervals and hill reps with a main focus towards cross country racing. Just after the cross country season finished, i began to go down to the track and start training for summer athletics. After a couple of weeks training down at the track, i found that i needed a bit of a change and so entered for a local 5k with no real specific training. I was majorly suprised when i came through the finish in 17:36.

Of course, different training methods suit different people. But i thought it would just be interesting to share my rather unconventional training methods with you!

Well done on your recent progress anyway! It sounds like your defintley on target for some seriously quick times!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

just to update...now down to 1hr 19m 21s half marathon.

and on a rubbish course a 37:03 10k.

The half suggests well under 37:03 is possible...so lets hope so...soon!

• Options

An old favourite thread returns.

Well done on your pbs StevieG.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    thanks birkmyre...always slightly embarrased i managed to spell improvements wrong in the title!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Might as well wheel this thread out!

10k down to 36:44         (from 37:03)

5m today down to 28:54  (from 29:36)

Hopefully can keep the chunks coming off!