Options

gilberts syndrome??

Hi, does anyone have experience of training and racing with "gilberts syndrome"

Comments

• Options
    never heard of it - what is it?
  • Options
    its a mild liver  complaint, in severe cases can lead to jaundice, but most common symptoms are ibs, and fatigue. Its when the liver cant keep up to speed processing the old red blood cells and your billirubens count rises, its due to lack of a certain enzyme i think, its not a major problem buts its difficult to know when you are "suffering" i read somewhere carbs are best avoided as they are more difficult to digest which aint great news for a runner!! they reckon a diet higher in protein can give you more energy!? and to eat foods that are natural detox agents, so i was hoping that someone may know a bit more about it than i do!
  • Options
    I have this. Never really thought it affected my running, just put my performance down to getting older and being carp. It’s possible, though. As far as I can tell, the main impact is to allow doctors to annoy you by telling you you’re a candidate for gout. I’m no expert, but I think if you have a balanced diet and keep alcohol consumption to a reasonable level you should be able to avoid the worst. All compatible with a running lifestyle. Never heard about issues with carbohydrates, I must admit. 

These are good links, if a bit technical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert%27s_syndrome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilirubin

Like you topstriker, I would welcome info from somone with more knowledge.

• Options

Hi Fox run, i was beginning to think i was the only runner who had this! I guess its the fatigue issue more than anything, but how can you tell if its down to hard training and racing or the GS?! I did a half at the weekend and i have really suffered all week, lots more than normal, thats what made me think? i will checkout your links. i looked at  gilgertssyndrome.org.uk and found some interesting stuff.

So you havnt heard about the protein thing either?

• Options
    Yup I was diagnosed almost 2 decades ago with Gilbert’s Syndrome and it was pretty bad. I run long distances now without problem. I have also been taking a few select natural supplements for years and they seem to help me big time with fatigue, eye yellowing and eliminating “brain fog”. Keep running!