Options

Orthotics

Hi all,

I have always had a problem with over pronation when running, at the start of the year i got a pair of orthotics to try and help a hip problem, which would have corrected my arches and heels blah blah blah.

It only struck me a few days ago, should i still be running with my shoes which are for over pronation or should i be wearing neutral shoes,

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Options

I recently bought some orthotics for over pronoation which caused dreadfull shin slints after the Edinburgh marathon. My guy said to 'wear them in' in my day shoes for a couple of weeks then to wear them constantly in my running shoes. He reckoned if i corrected the problem with the orthotics then I shouldn't be any more likely than the next person to develop shin splints again.

Not quite sure what you mean, do you mean should you be wearing the orthotics in your corrective trainers or in your neutral trainers? If so, again, my guy said take the insoles out of my corrective trainers and wear the orthotics in place of them, or if I found it more comfortable, underneath the insoles. I guess it's a case of trial and error. He certainly advocated that I continue to wear corrective trainers, I think they are built up to take the most impact where the greatest weakness is.

Sorry I can't offer any advice from experience yet, I'm still not running and wearing the orthotics in my day shoes was making my symptoms worse as well as causing other aches an pains, which I had been told to expect, but I decided to lay off until my symptoms have completely subsided. I decided I can afford to be patient with London still being a good few months away!

Anyway, hope you get it sorted.

Moz

• Options

I suffered initially from aches and pains when i started wearing my orthotics in my day shoes, i then gradually started running with my orthotics in.

The trainers i had then and have now are for over pronation and i wear orthotics when running in them.

What i wasnt sure about is whether i should now be wearing neutral shoes with my orthotics, in place of my trainers for over pronation(which i wore with my orthotics.)

• Options

Hi Mark, I'm a serious over-pronator (have also ruptured tib post tendon in one foot due to chronic over-pronation), so I wear custom-made orthotics in a strong motion-control shoe.  I remove the original insoles from the trainers and replace them with my orthotics. 

I got my shoes from a running shop where I had full gait analysis etc, and so (if you didn't go down this route), I'd suggest that you do.

If you got your orthotics from a podiatrist, then he/she should advise you about wearing of your orthotics and the type of shoe that would suit you - it will depend on the level and intensity of your over-pronation.  I can tell, however, whether a shoe feels right - I know how my foot is when the orthotics are working, so, if I try on a shoe that doesn't support me enough, I can feel it and know that it is not the right one for me.  But it took me a while to be able to feel that difference.

I had major aches and pains when I first wore my orthotics because they were pushing my muscles back in a way that they hadn't experienced since I first started to walk!  However, once I got used to them, it was fine and I now get aches if I don't wear them - so persevere and you should be OK.

Stretching will also help, I spend as much time stretching post running as I do when out!  I used not to stretch - and suffered badly!

Hope you this helps and you are able to get this sorted soon.

• Options

Thanks for that, will try on a pair of neutral trainers and see what support i get from them, certainly i i do notice that i get a huge amount of support from my orthotics and my motion control trainers.

As for aches and pains, im getting old now(35) so i expect them every time i run now.  image