Options

Cancer Research UK Run 10K - Dorney Lake

Anyone doing this race?

It will be my first 10K but hopefully a good place to start as being completely flat it should be a little easier than some races.Also weather should be fairly cool at the end of October.

I'd love to run in less than an hour!

Comments

• Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Hello susiebe,

It`s a shame that I`ve entered a more local run on the same day otherwise I would do this event.

I`ve run at Dorney Lake twice this year already - it`s so flat & traffic free - a perfect place to start off.

Enjoy.  

K.

• Options

hi

This is my first 10k race. I am getting nervous now as I have just started working full time again as a childminder so have not been able to get out running so much in the last two weeks. I was out 3 times a week running on average 4 miles each time. I haven't done more than 5 miles yet. Going to join a running club to try to get ack into it. I did a 5k in May - that was really good and ran that in 29 mins so was very pleased with myself.

Heard it is a great location to run!

C

• Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Claire,

Don`t be nervous - as you know 10k is 6.2 miles plus the two lap course is FLAT, FLAT, FLAT image & you can see all the course - thinking in a postive way - you know how far you have done & got left.

Wish I could run there this time but can`t do a third race there. Got a PB last ime too.

Enjoy.  

• Options

Did Swansea recently and did sub 50 for first time. Now going for 48 mins, bring it on.

• Options
    Hi, I could be doing this race. I've got a slight injury so gonna see how my run goes over the weekend and if it's ok, I'll be signing up on Monday. Let you know if I'll be there...Good luck with your training!
  • Options
    Thanks for all your messages. Does anyone know a suitable diet to be eating leading up to the run please?
  • Options
    I'm also thinking of doing this.  Got a Half on Sunday and been injured, but if i feel ok after Sunday I will probably enter this.
  • Options
    Good luck Beanie1 for your half on Sunday. I'll now be doing the Kingston 8.2mile run on Sunday so I too will see how I feel after the race.
  • Options

My advice would be eat what you normally eat up to a day before and then maybe a few carbs, pasta etc. Not too many though, it's only 10k. Maybe a Banana 90 minutes before.....

Silly to change diet as that give you more upset!

• Options

I'm doing this race now. Completed the Kingston 8.2mile yesterday in 1hr16. Pleased with that esp with little training.

I normally run first thing in the morning. I can't stomach anything before a run. Kingston start time was 8am which suited me perfectly. Dorney starts at 10am. Do runners normally eat before a race? I am worried I will hit a glucose low with a later start time? So Gunner23, from what you say, it's ok to eat  very late the night before (pasta to load up on carbs)and then nothing in the morning except banana with home made sports drink? Sorry but I'm new to all this!

• Options

This run starts at 11am so don't get there too early....!!!

Hey, I'm no expert but I would say thay with an 11am start time, you should be having a proper breakfast - a lot of people swear by porridge for example (not me!!)  - didn't mean for my previous message to imply you should skip that, just that a banana has slow release energy which is why people playing sport often go for them before or during sport.

On much longer runs then i've found energy gels and sweets to give you a good sugar hit, try those perhaps.

However - everyone IS different so its finding what works for you and stick with that.

• Options

Hi - I started racing about 6 months ago - and I would advise that you try and replicate the race conditions in a training run - that is have your porridge (or whatever) for brekfast and then run at the race time 11am - and see if it feels right.

I wouldn't experiment with trying to find out what works on race day.  I speak from experience....I've had one or two terrible races because I've eaten/not eaten at the correct time or the correct foods.

• Options

11am...that's late! (thanks for telling me). Still need to sign up for this race.  I will def have to eat before the race. I did the London 10k 3 years ago which started at 10am and I recall having small amount of porridge at 6.30am. My run went ok but since then can't stomach any food before a run.  I will do a trial run of eating before a run at 11am. My fear is having a bad race because of what I've eaten as it will totally put me off from racing again. Thanks for the advice  x

• Options

The web site says 11:00, but I'm sure the registration details say that's for the warm up. The actual race is 11:30

• Options
    I'm really looking forward to doing this on Sunday.My first 10k!!

These Cancer Research events are great but do people see them as proper races?I'm seeing it a s a chance to raise some money plus it'll give me a very good idea of my 10k ability and therefore the confidence to enter more 'proper' 10k races.
    I hope thats fair to say that!
  • Options

For my 1st 10k my aim was to complete the course!

For me I'd like to think I have progressed since my first 10k so I am hoping for a better time, but not striving for it.

Apart from that, it's a social event so say hi! (I'll be the one in the pale blue Cancer Research t-shirt) 

• Options

Good luck everyone,I have ran at Dorney many times and its a good one.

As this one is for cancer I couldn't not do it,so see you all there!!

• Options

Good luck to all of you doing the run tomorrow.

Go susiebe!!!! I hope you do well

Rebecca

• Options

Oh dear look at the rain!

Oh well raincoats it is!

• Options
    Rebecca

Many thanks for your encouragement!
    Feeling quite excited now,and love running in the rain.
    Kitting the family out with waterproofs though..they don't share my excitement at the mo!
    Will post tonight..
  • Options

Was my very first 10k race at Dorney today - really enjoyed it despite the rain! Nice and flat, not too crowded and for a very worthwhile cause! Think I did an okish time for a first 10k - 60:54, definately wasn't last which was an added bonus! Yay!  Hopefully will improve on the time on my next one image

Oh and the drummers halfway round were great too!

• Options
    My first 10k and did 65:20.

Very pleased with that although no hills but I now have a PB to break next time.

I enjoyed the drummers too but shame not much support around the course although weather played a large part-my children were cold and wet and very fed up by the time I'd finished!! Also less runners than I thought so course not too crowded.

A great day and I feel I can definately continue to improve..

dusty.nebulosity great time,very well done..

• Options

Well done - I really enjoyed it - despite the rain!

Do we get an official time - anyone know?

• Options

I don't think there are official times as there was no chip timing. However they might give your time to cross the line and leave it up to you to deduct the time it took to cross the start line.  Even so, I can't see a link anywhere to collect them. I did however find a link for the Photo's but they are not there as yet.

I put the bike on the back of the car as I read about the 20 mins walk to the start, but didn't expect the 35 minutes from the A4 to the car park. Next year I'll be parking up in Bray / Windsor and will cycle in.

Really enjoyed the event, got a great PB (for me), and bumped into an old school friend.

BTW tune played by the drummers was somehow familiar.. . . Was it the opening bars to "Hawii 5-0", the bit before it gets to the trumpets?  

• Options

enjoyed it despite the weather. the course was actually 9.6k according to my Garmin so i had to add a couple of mins on to my time to get a realistic time. Shame. This was the same at the Herts 10k recently. You would have thought they would get the distance right

Apart from that and the queue to get in it was well organised and was nice and flat. Not a PB for me but not too far off

• Options

Yep, my Garmin recorded it at 9.68 too - bloody annoying.

If you are going to advertise a 10k, please measure it right, it's not that flaming difficult!!

Setting off 6/7 minutes late when its raining is also not welcomed!

• Options
    I'm really annoyed as this was my first 10k (or so I thought!)
    Is my time of 65:20 not valid as it wasn't a true 10k?
    How much time should I add on...?
    Should've been so simple to measure a flat surface almost twice around a lake!
    Come on Run 10k thats not really good enough,or perhaps now we should call the event Run 9.68k?!!
  • Options

Just mapped it again and it was absolutely not 10 km. I am gutted as well as I ran 47.19 though the fact that this was a PB for 10k by over 2minutes shows there is something wrong!

Gutted as I would have run a genuine PB if the course had been 10km.

I remember thinking that the main problem cam betweed the 1st and 2nd Km markers as I look down at my watch at the "2km" marker and it was out bu about 0.25 of a km.

• Options

The good news is the pictrues are published .. 

Running Pictures

• Options
    Oh dear I look like a hot drowned rat!  Bib number 850!