Options

Do you start from the begining?

I have just completed my first FLM. I was determined that it would not be my first and last event so I entered myself in the Chicago marathon for later this year. What training should I do in preparation. I followed the Hal Higdon novice programme for the FLM. I intended to follow his Intermediate programme, which is 18 weeks. This would mean starting in June and returning to relatively low weekly mileage. Do you "tick-over" until you start the programme. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    It does seem a bit counter-productive to drop back to a really low mileage again, doesn't it? I'm not an expert, but I would be tempted to find a comfortable weekly mileage (once the FLM is out of your legs) and maintain that until whichever week of the program matches that amount, and then slot in there for the final few weeks build up.
  • Options
    Tommy - I would suggest the following:

1. Try dropping one third or even one half from your mileage BUT add some speed sessions.

2. If your not racing in the interim drop the long run to 10-12 miles. The long marathon training runs really hammer your body.

Good luck
  • Options
    I'm planning an autumn marathon as well having just done FLM. My plans are:

1) Add speed sessions

2) Reduce mileage but keep up some distance on the long Sunday run so it's not so far to build up. Then again, the body does need a rest. I'll probably alternate beween maybe 12's and 18's

Pretty much what Martin said, but my long runs stay longer.
  • Options
    I just did Paris and am planning to do Berlin in late september. I am taking two weeks off now and will restart building to some interim targets (10k and 20k in May) before restarting the marathon prep:

- doing some cross-training, i.e. cycling + swimming on "easy" days

- stick to my weekly +2hr long run - don't know whether I really should but it's the training I like most

- commit myself to more and better speed sessions

Hope this helps

Good luck!
  • Options
    Hoping to do an Autumn one too. My plan is to run 'easy' for a couple of weeks then go back to normal routine with 10-15 mile long runs till about July then slowing building up to the really long ones. Might try three weeks increasing, one week drop back.

Will definitely be doing a weekly speed session though.
  • Options
    I just did the Connemara marathon, the finest marathon in the world, at the end of March, my second one, and am planning to do the Loch Ness one in September.

Between Dublin, October 02 and Conne I had a couple of weeks off the started running 5 or 6 miles 4 times a week till the start of the 18 week Hal Higdon schedule. The only thing I changed was the long runs, in the program they start at 9 miles I think but I did 12 or 13 mile runs till the program caught up then followed it after that.

It helped me anyway, I took 34 minutes off my Dublin time over a much harder course too.

Good luck in Chicago.