Options

From a Marathon to a Half

I've spent the last several months training for the FLM so I can't remember a long run of less than 14 miles for ages.

Now I'm planning for the blackpool half. So I had a look at hal higdons training shedules (I find it easiest to follow a shedule or I loos track of progress). The long runs seem a bit short and weekday runs between 3-5 don't seem very much either.

My aim is to speed up so I am using a shedule with speed sessions in the week.

Question: Should I increase the length of the long run by a few miles and each mid week on by a mile (to keep a balance between overall running and long run)?

Or

Should I stick to the shedule because if I add a speed session then I should cut down the overall miles.

it just seems odd having a long run shorter that my previous weekday runs.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Options
    I think much depends on whether you intend to do another marathon and when.

Why have you opted for the half at Blackpool? You could continue with your marathon schedule and do the full at Blackpool.

If your heart is set on the half, then I agree you need to include some speed sessions. Since i've started my marathon schedule, I seem to have lost the little speed I had before since the focus is on endurance.

It would be a shame though to, having got yourself in a position where you can run 14 miles to lose the ability simply because you are no longer training for a marathon.

In short, I would include a speed session but keep one long run a week (or once a fortnight if weekly isnt practical)
  • Options
    Cheers Chimp.

I'm doing the 1/2 because I can't commit my weekends to running so much over the summer and I want to be able to go out on the piss! I don't like being the driver becuase I have to go out for a long run the next day.

The other reason is I want to get faster then do another marathon next year. I really want to get to 9min miles by the end of summer. It's a big leap but you've got to set sights high.
  • Options
    Oh another thing.

Agree that a schedule is very useful and I follow one pretty much for the same reasons you do but ultimately it is a guide. Lets face it, anyone who claims to have followed a schedule to the letter is very sad or more likely kidding themselves.

I'm sure you could extend your long runs without doing any damage but if you are worried, why not take miles from another session?
  • Options
    check out the training schedules at Time Outdoors - think they're a lot better than HH
  • Options
    Tulips,

I would cut down on mileage but not a lot. You developed lots of endurance training for the Marathon and it would be a pitty to lose it.

I would do runs of 5M fartlek, 8M, 10k during the week and 10m to 14M as log runs. Also, speed sessions would be very useful. Reps of 10x200m, 10x400m, 8x800m, 6x1k and 5x1M.Tempo runs of 5 to 8K. I hope it helps.