Options

Muscle Mass, Rowing, oh yeah and Running!

I have been rowing (indoor & on water) and running for the last 6 months as part of a weight loss programme. Of course, now I'm down at my target weight I've fallen in love with running and rowing and want to carry on with them!

But... I now look "skinny/wimpy" and lack real strength for rowing and want to rectify this and build some muscle strength and mass (especially in my quads), but this objective seems to be TOTALLY incompatible with (non-sprint) running?

Any advice or guidance on how I can do both, or am I gonna have to make a tough decision to run+skinny or do weights+beefy?

Comments

• Options
    Many of the top rowers (especially in the lightweight class, below 72.5 kg) are not bulky, more sinewy (if that's a word). They're certainly skinny as in low fat percentages and that helps with running too. And some of them run pretty fast...

For example, have a look at this guy: Mark Emke who participated in a number of world championships.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you not necessarily have to build bulk, you need strength. When we did weights as part of rowing training we did relatively low weights with more repetitions, and a lot of circuittraining which had strength exercises but which also made you breath hard for an hour. It's about strength-endurance, not about mass.

Where are you rowing?
  • Options
    my experience is that my weight training helps my running. my fave distance is 1/2 marathon which i run 1:30ish when fully fit. recovering from a 4 month virus at the mo so i have not been down the gym and i can really feel the difference when i run. i was doing squats and leg press for my upper leg, and lifting my body weight (70kg) for 3 lots of 10 reps. i found it gave me a better running style with more push off. I don't see that you will have to choose between the 2, if you have races in iether you might want to give preferance to one type of training. I see them working together, giving you diversity in training. let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    Ps Livers: congrats on the weight loss and the new loves :)
  • Options
    Roos. I was going to say that as well but i was too jealous. :+
  • Options
    I have got REALLY skinny legs.

I've picked up on the strength vs mass thing though. There is a fair bit of vanity in all of this, but hey, if you're gonna put in all this effort you want to look great too right?

My reps are high and I've ONLY JUST started... sinewy... maybe I should adjust my goals, especially if, like Nick says, it WILL improve my running performance.

Thanks Guys - I'll stick to both (*bing* there goes all my spare time!)

FWIW, the onwater is at Weybridge -- they're a great crowd are very supportive and really committed to getting all-comers into rowing... and their reach is awesome where the Wey meets the Thames.
  • Options
    And some women *like* skinny :-)

(erm...within reasonable limits. And at least they won't be pale after running and rowing outdoors all summer...)
  • Options
    I row predominantly, I row for Agecroft RC. But have been "made" to do running this year from October. So since then i've done one session a week of about 10k. This is the first running i've done really but i really enjoy it now. Besides the coach is convinced it'll make us more athletic rather than just add the bulk which rowing brings.

When i first started running i hated it as i'd never done it before and found it difficult, especially on the calves. I imagine this is a common complaint amongst rowers?. But Obviously the rowing fitness has done me well. I was impressed with my first race today, a 10 k in about 41 minutes. I believe you can do both.

I've only been rowing for a little over 2 and a half years now but I'd definatly prescribe to mixing the types of training you do up a little. Sitting on an ergo gets boring, especially in the summer. I'm so glad evening row has started again. I'm faster this year on the ergo as well than last year, when i didn't do running, I can go just under 17 minutes for 5k, last year i maxed out at 17.08.0

Good luck with it. I'm sure the rowing alone will build your legs up and the running only adds to it as well.

I understand where the vanity comes from though. The lycra we have to wear shows up every bit of extra weight the rower might be carrying.
  • Options
    Interesting post. I think weights do help with your running, esp squats, lunges etc. I don't do hamstring work - I think thats asking for trouble - but my running style is improved considerably by the weights.

I also use the session as a semi-circuit session ie litte rest between exercises so you get a good cardio workout too.