Options

Its all going horribly wrong...

Okay, okay I'll throw myself upon the collective wisdom of the Forumites.

I'm supposed to be running the Berlin marathon in 3 weeks time, but have had an ankle injury cured by orthotics (is that the right term) in my shoes. The problem is these cause me really nasty blisters. Went for a training run yesterday and in the space of 8miles, grow (if thats the right term) and burst a blister which left me hobbling home. Its still pretty painful now (boo hoo). The blisters are right on the arch of both feet.

Has anyone had anything like this with orthotics before? How long is it before your feet mould to the correct shape and stop blistering? Basically unless things fix themselves in the next two weeks I'm going to have to withdraw.

Anyone got any thoughts/advice/witticisms which may be of use to me?

Comments

• Options
    GlennGlenn ✭✭✭
    May be a personal subject, but what are your socks like? You are no doubt familiar with the "blister free" double skin brands, although I will confess they don't always work for me.

If you're already paying more than eight quid per pair you probably won't improve things much, but in the circumstances a perusal of the nasty expensive range at your local running shop might prove a sound investment.
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Parky, you could try the special plasters available from Boots designed to prevent blisters. Can't remember their name but Boots have a selection of 2 or 3 different brands.
  • Options
    Thanks Glenn and Tim, but I use twin skins which have on the whole worked okay. My shoes are the correct size but I'll definitly check the lacing.

The problem is, I think, more with the orthotics as the blisters are occuring where the arch is. This feels quite high to me and I'm not entirely sure what I can do about it. I'm going to go back to my physio about the problem also but just wandered if there were anything anyone could suggest
  • Options
    Drew, I've got my supply of Compeeds (which are brilliant and I have used before) but as above not sure if this will really help.
  • Options
    Drew mentioned 'special plasters' - Boots do their own version, but the 'branded' ones are Compeed - 'second skin' type dressings that you apply to your feet prior to running. They look rather disgusting when they are peeling off though (you have to wait for them to peel off you, rather than tearing them off like plasters), but I've never known runners' feet to be beautiful!! In my experience, they work.

Boyf has tried wrapping Micropore tape round his feet, as he gets blisters in his arches too - might be worth a go.

Good luck in Berlin!