Options

Beachy Head 2009

Comments

• Options

'sok Mouse

this is part of the process

dont worry

• Options
    Shame they are not on the same weekend, but should still make it interesting
  • Options

GOM - I'm quoting your above post back at you should the triple become possible again another year.

• Options
    Mouse - yes I would love to do the triple if it ever becomes possible again. But I do also like doing the 2 marathons over 2 weekends. Plus MrsGOM has just said I can do this
  • Options

Hi folks, bit late but I enjoyed my first Beachy Head, considering the conditions...

Had a nasty fall at about 7 miles, cut both knees open and twisted my ankle. The lovely bloke I was running with stopped to help, got me a jaffa cake from some of the spectators, and a woman passing gave me some water to clean my knees. He then shot off to the first checkpoint and let the first aiders know I was hobbling down! He was still there when I got there, made sure I was OK while they taped up my knees and gave me painkillers. Got offered a lift back but I was NOT giving up, planned to walk the rest of it. I walked to the narrow bridge, then didn't want to hold up any runners behind me so started slowly running, and just carried on regardless. Those painkillers were a godsend! Stopped at each checkpoint for a good 5-10 minutes to eat and drink. Walked up the hills, well done to anyone who ran up them! Finally, finally finished in 5:16. I never was aiming for a time, I just wanted to finish, to be honest it's my worst time by well over an hour but it was my best marathon because I managed to finish, even with a pretty bad injury. Now have a balloon for an ankle image  It'll heal, but my pride wouldn't have image

Will I do it again? Damn right I will!

• Options
    Carrot-what a great race report, well done for battling on regardless, i was unable to run this year but do love this race, but pleased that i missed the bad conditions, lol hope you are recovered very soonimage
  • Options

Sir CdeC - i like that - "tinnie of Fosters" image  Must be something about the name and computersimage

Respect Carrot - that's the spirit of Beachy - hope you mend soon

• Options
    LOL carrot, you still did a bteer time than i have ever done here
  • Options
    Right, that is def beachy and snowden for me next year then image
  • Options
    And well done carrot that is sooo not a bad time...
  • Options

i think if greensands runs the day after Beachy again, and if Dublin is the last Monday in October the triple might be on

could be fun to do the triple again, it's been a few years image

• Options

If I ever do the triple it would have to be Beachy, Snowdon and Dublin as I believe that was the first version?

• Options
    They'd be scraping me up off the tarmac on O'connell street at the end of that
  • Options
    i don't think that would happen any more mouse, snowdonia seems to be firmly on a saturday these days, should have done it in 2006 image
  • Options

I know.  Gets me off the hook though, dunnit?

• Options

afetr reading carrots race report i feel so guilty having admitted to have feeling sick after a gross act of self indulgence ( the 12th mars bar incident). My wows have been put into perspective

Also will Bexhill be a good race to get back on the road again?

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    carrot - fantastic report!  You're a proper hard nut, well done!  image
  • Options
    RT - are you talking about the Bexhill 1/2? if so - flat as feck and in loops around the park/seafront which is enough to do my head in even if it is local.
  • Options

have you noticed how everyone who does it for the first time says they'll do it again?means getting in early for next year unless they up the numbers. 

this was my 6th, and allowing for the increase in age, I don't think i'm getting that much slower - though being overtaken by a guy with a walking stick was a bit humiliating......

• Options

One year when the course was a bit shorter back in it's 'Seven Sister's Marathon' guise I was running along the path by the river just before you hits the b*tches (now they send you up and down another hill instead) when I passed a small boy walking with his mum. I wasn't exactly flying so I was able to overhear them talking.

Boy : Mummy. why is that man running so slowly ?

Mum : I don't think he's very well. Stay away from him in case he's sick.

I'd thought I was going pretty well until then.

• Options
    Poor Ed!!  That's cracking!
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Ed - *lol* You sick man!

JFDI - nice pics, especially with the peaks disappearing off into the distance.

My bro never ventured that far onto the course with his camera but took some nice ones near the start/finish.  These are my faves (and I'm just about in the first one...)

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs072.snc3/13943_186319584594_684159594_3840153_3074108_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs052.snc3/13943_186319604594_684159594_3840156_4427693_n.jpg

...and just about staying on my feet, tumbling into the finish.  "Aaarghh!"...

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs072.snc3/13943_186320314594_684159594_3840165_521596_n.jpg

• Options
    Three in three days? That's where I draw the line.... There was me wondering if doing Amsterdam next year before Beachy would be do-able!
  • Options

Carrot  -  if you were wearing a red sleevless top and you had previously apologised for nearly spitting on my (muddy) shoes, then I'm the one who ran ahead to CP1 to find the first aid (had to ask at the ambulance = no and water stop before finding the right car and medics).  I was concerned that you got seen too quickly, but as I knew I was going have to walk too many of the hills this year I restarted again asap.  I was so pleased to read your report, to know you recovered and finished and admire your determination (polite phrase).  We met briefly again at Birling Gap (CP4) by which time you were running stronger than me and overtook me - well done.   A great time, especially as it was more than ten minutes faster than me, and you had suffered inury and inconvenience, and I was just stopping for a much needed rest, cup of tea and some fruit cake at CP4.

Glad to hear you will be coming back again next year - it is such a beautiful race when the mist has gone and you can see for miles in all directions (including up the next hill).  That was my fourth and as I finished (exhausted and stiff legged) I was thinking great I don't have to do that again next year, but I am already considering that perhaps five in a row would be a good target. 

• Options
    RT3-as FB says, flat as feck cant remember if it was 3 laps or 4, and the wind was so strong that i nearly gave up on the 1st one, there are a lot of races i do again but it will not be Bexhill half, image whereas a friend of mine loves itimage
  • Options

Photos are ready now at Sussex Photography guys image

oooh I'm not looking good image

• Options
    Just had a squiz through the pics. Given how unphotogenic I am in the best of conditions it's safe to say my pics are truly awful! There's one on the White Horse section that's not too bad but that's about it.
  • Options

Photos are particularly unpleasant as usual. 

Why is it that in my 9 years of doing this race I've yet to see the white horse ? I think I know every twist and turn on the course but still have no idea where this horse is though it's clear as day in the pictures here.