Options

Breathing

Bit of a strange one this, but something that I have often wondered about. Does anyone have useful tips to ensure the best/most efficient breathing when on a run - ie.,pace and rythym? Obviously this depends on your level of fitness, but the only advice I can remember (from school) was from an old games teacher who said to inhale/exhale in time with your left stride avoided getting stiches! Don't know of the medical grounding of this but its stuck with me. I tend to start with slow deep breaths and quicken - normally double - as I go in time with my strides. What do other people do?

Comments

• Options
    I use breathing pattern as a quick check to tell if I'm running at the right effort level for training runs, when I can't be bothered to wear the HRM.

3:3 pattern (3paces to the inbreath, 3 paces to the outbreath) is slow and easy.

2:2 pattern is a steady/brisk effort.

1:1 and I'm in trouble.

• Options
    I tend to suck the air in to my gasping lungs any old how! Well, not quite but not far off.... I try to keep my breathing relaxed and it works out about 4:4 or there abouts. Though it's hard to tell cos usually me and my running chum are gossiping as we go! Hmmm.... Does this mean that I'm not trying hard enough? I manage about 11-12 min/mile pace on longer runs and about 9.30-10 min/mile on shorter.
  • Options
    Ian DoddsIan Dodds ✭✭✭
    FAJ, if you're having fun then the pace doesn't matter. But a 4:4 pattern indicates you could go faster if you wanted to. A 3:3 might feel too fast at first, but stick with it and it will soon feel as comfortable as your 4:4 does now.
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    I had a 3000m race at school where I was breathing once every stride in the last lap and a half. I collapsed twice in the last 100m and had to be carried to hospital, still breathing at the same rate for about an hour afterwards.
    That was quite scary.
    I ws overtaken too and came in third. Grrr...

I've found running much easier since I got used to breathing out of synch with my stride - I basically settle into slightly under a 2:2 pattern whatever the pace. Singing a song to oneself helps with this, although perhaps not out loud.
  • Options
    What I wouldn't give to be able to control my breathing...

If I'm working flat out it's 66 / minute and I haven't a clue how many steps I take in that time

Does anyone know how you know if you've got exercised induced asthma btw?

• Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    If I need to do 1:1 it means I will very probably be sick and fall over. 2:2 covers most of my runs.
  • Options
    SS - shortness of breath after you stop running. Tight chest keeping you awake at night cos of lack of air. Your GP tells you.

Had this diagnosed last year. Quite pleased with myself really as it felt like a badge of honour!!??
  • Options
    barnsleyrunner, thanks for this - I haven't got it for sure then - no excuse there on that account!
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    I also use breathing to keep a rough guide on how hard I am working. Poor man's HRM.

I stick at at least 3:3 until I'm within 3 miles of home. Then 2:2 bits if I want, and not for more than a couple of minutes at a stretch, followed by recovery walk or jog for a minute or more.

SS, you're pretty analytical about what you do, you might learn useful things by trying to see if you can breathe 3:3 for a stretch, or 2:2.

For what it's worth, my card-carrying asthmatic second son made his running debut accompanying me around a six mile loop. He was astonished to find he could do it so easily. He now runs said loop in 42 minutes!

So, perhaps, if breathing is proving to be the stumbling back, you might consider finding some lame old nag to accompany.

We have our uses!

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else have no idea what their breathing pattern is whilst running? I can't say it is something I have ever really thought about.
  • Options
    Definitely 2:2 irrespective of effort, if I'm working hard I just breathe faster.

Unless I forget to take my asthmatic inhaler in which case I revert to 1:4!!!!!!
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    I'm not aware of a breathing pattern until breathing becomes an issue: I don't think about 3;3, but I certainly notice 2:2, and I never get any faster than that!