Options

Old fashioned training

Had another chance this morning to chat to a guy that through the 80s and 90s ran 18 consecutive sub 3 marathons with a best in the mid 2.40s.

I was talking about his training and he said it was 4 weeks of 30 miles, 4-6 weeks of 40-45 miles and 3 weeks of 60 miles with a one week rest. He did only one long run (that is one - not one a week) of 18 miles - the rest being 6-12 milers and would never run easy with even the long run being at sub 7 minute miles. He'd then rest until starting training for his next - he'd do 2 a year Spring and Autumn.

Comments

• Options
    I don't think that would work for me but some runners just get away with it.
  • Options
    Sounds to me like hed be good with whatever training he did
  • Options

That's the exception rather than the rule I think. We had some people say similar things on here recently.

How are you finding the increase in mileage? Don't overdo it by doing too much too soon, will you ?!
  • Options
    It could work popsider, we're all different. NickJ who was 32 in the FLM did a longest run of 19 miles.

For your first marathon though I would advise going in knowing that you have run 23/24 miles in training. The confidence factor is great.

I've done 4 marathons now and I'm going to try a less mileage / more quality routine for Nottingham as I now feel confident enough to experiment.

First thing I'd do is map out your long runs until Sept 14th then build a training schedule around that.
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Yes wasn't planning on copying him, just throwing it out for discussion.
  • Options
    I'm always really interested in hearing about different training methods for the marathon as I definitely fall into the camp of doing low-ish mileage but reasonable quality. This is really out of necessity rather than choice as I find I inevitably end up injured if I run too much.

After the thread that got posted recently on the FLM section What was your training mileage?? I had a look back through my training logs to compare my mileage during the 15 weeks prior to each of my 9 marathons. It turned out that the mileage I'd done prior to Chicago in 1998 was almost exactly the same as the mileage I'd done prior to FLM this year (488M and 480M, respectively) but in Chicago I ran 3:29 whereas I finished in 2:56 at London.

Before Chicago I was doing that mileage in 4 or 5 runs per week whereas prior to London I was doing 3 runs and a couple of x-training sessions at the gym. Examining the individual sessions the biggest difference was quality i.e. no 'easy' days during training for FLM, just 2 speed sessions (club fartlek on Tuesday, track on Thursday) and a long run (some long races and marathon pace long runs).

I know this doesn't work for everyone and I'm sure I'm limiting my performance somewhat by taking this approach, but I find I derive the most pleasure out of doing things this way as I end up injured much less frequently meaning that I can train more consistently and do not end up depressed because I can't run.

Sorry for being such a complete anorak and going off on a tangent

;-)
  • Options
    I am doing more cross training since starting the triathlons and find I can do 8+ sessions of exercise a week instead of just 6 runs- and that's still having a rest day or one with a swim in it only. I don't think my speed has been compromised at all.
  • Options
    V Interesting. I'm a novice compared with you guys, have run two marathons to date - Dublin last year in 4.34 and Paris again in 4.34(gutted) couple of weeks ago. Training for both of these was based around high'ish milage but largely unstructured i.e. didnt follow a program. decided for the next one - Berlin in September - I'm gonna try something different and instead of just plodding out the miles gonna do some specific speed sessions(um, think I need it) and follow a program. I'm gonna do the '4 month to a 4 hour marathon program' albeit I'm gonna swap the 400m reps to 800's which I think is more relevant. Apert from the usual long runs this schedule focuses on much shorter tempos and speedwork and is certainly less overall in miles per week than I ran before the last two mara's. Will be very interesting to see how this works out.
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Oh I forgot to say, this guy is planning to do the FLM next year as it falls on his 55th birthday. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on.
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Yeah, same here. The less I train, the better I do.

In reality, it seems to be more the case that I get very quickly to a reasonable level of fitness, then don't seem to advance a lot, then lose it all in the 3-week taper period.

Part of my problem is that I just don't understand physiologically what I'm trying to achieve. Obviously, I'm trying to increase my heart's capacity to pump blood to my legs (hence the interval training and lower resting pulse), plus I'm trying to gradually toughen up my muscles and joints to withstand the pounding (hence the long runs). Is that it though? What is it I'm getting from doing this for 16 weeks through the cold winter that I wouldn't from a 4-week blast in March? I mean, apart from shin splints?

It's just difficult to get through the pseudo-science and marketing nonsense - any help or useful links would be useful.
  • Options
    Am keeping an open mind !

Whilst reflecting on my RW politically correct(-ish) but injury-plagued and generally crap (4.12) 1st marathon/FLM campaign (on the steps by The Mall that HOT spring day, nursing my ITB etc)..

..my 2.50 big bro pointed out that he never, ever, ever, ran more than 16 miles in training when he did m'thons in the late '80s/early '90s, concentrating instead on speed work, 10ks, halves etc in the lead-up

(Now he tells me....!)

t
  • Options
    Look at it this way: no amount of long slow runs will allow you to run a fast marathon.
    Short and fast training will help you improve your times over a variety of distances, and on a good day, you might clock a fast marathon. On a bad day though, you'll bonk.
    I think Steve Jones ran 2:07 on the back of his standard 10K training... but he only managed it once.

The smart thing to do is to train for distance first, then for speed in the last few weeks.
  • Options
    Nick, where do you get your training schedules from? Do you make them up yourself or do you have a coach?

I'm very keen to improve and for two years I've thought more is better, and done the speedwork everyone else is doing because it is on the schedule. Also raced 35+ times per year (which I think is good speedwork). Now I think smarter is better not necessarily more.

Did you hit on what works for you by accident or design?
  • Options
    Wish I could be good enough to try to do what this article suggests ....

it's different

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0196.htm
  • Options
    The theory (and this is only my opinion) is that speed training makes you more efficient and able to cover a given distance in the same time with less effort or quicker but at the same effort (if you get my meaning). Therefore for the marathon, which is after all about energy conservation, speed training should provide a good foundation BECAUSE you burn less energy in the early stages (the more efficient theory) meaning that you don't hit the wall as early in the latter stages of the race.

Clearly there are other factors that come into play in the marathon such as physiology and psychology i.e. for many people I imagine it would be difficult to embark on a marathon having 'only' covered 10-15 miles in training and therefore the long run adds confidence.

If I ever do another marathon I will not go beyond 15.
  • Options
    BR,

I make them up myself... I've been running for almost as long as I can remember, and I've had a couple of coaches when I started... Since then, I've just talked to other better runners, and tried to figure out what they do, and why... After a while you just take what works for you and dismiss the rest... Pretty much what everyone else does on this forum.
    A coach is great in that, they give you belief in what you're doing... if you're self-coached, unless you have a fair amount of experience, sooner or later you'll start having doubts (for instance, the last couple of weeks before London, I started really panicking, and not knowing what sessions to do anymore).
    However, the bottom line is: running is far from an exact science... there are a few principles that seem to work, but the exact length and layout of any training programme and/or session does not matter nearly as much as people would have you believe. If you look at what the Kenyans do, it's far from scientific.
    'Couple of years ago I did some treadmill tests at Loughborough, and I got talking to Spencer Newport (physiologist and quality runner). A VO2max and LT test gives you some very definite pace at which to do your training sessions, however, in practice, there is no point trying to hit those precise paces, as there are too many variables. People just go and do their interval training flat out... Same with heart rate training... There is a point where, if you want to improve, you should just throw the damn thing as it encourages you to be too cautious.
    In short, you will improve simply by working hard over a variety of distances, at different paces. We're not Olympic athletes, so there is a lot of room for error. More importantly though, you have to be strong mentally, and be ready to make yourself throw up on these sessions... It takes a lot of pushing yourself beyond what seem reasonable limits to improve... I know there is a lot of talk about overtraining, but does anyone know just how hard it is to overtrain? I've run 100 miles a week, and I've always been injured or fed up with the whole thing, before being physiologically overtrained...
  • Options
    Nick

I would suspect that most people are more worried about pushing themselves too fast rather than too far i.e. just how hard can one push before the heart says 'enough!'. How long can someone reasonably expect to maintain close to max HR? or would lactic acid build up probably stop you before that happended?

I went to Loughborough university and had the opportunity to participate in some tests where I wore a different types of gas mask (with different amounts of air throughput) and was then required to walk up an increasingly steep treadmill until I couldn't anymore! That was the hardest 10 quid I ever earned.
  • Options
    Thanks Nick.

I used to get to where I was in my last legs during speedwork but since having a couple of injuries and a virus picked up from what I thought was overtraining I've been running them in a more `controlled' way; setting a hard but manageable pace for the first couple and maintaining it for the next few before blasting the final one. Last time I did 16 400s on 45 secs recovery I did 76-77 secs until I did 72 for the last one.

From what you say I need to be aiming for quicker intervals for fewer reps then building the number up again.
  • Options
    BR,

That sounds like a decent session to me... I would not necessarily go for fewer reps, simply aiming to get the time down as an important race is approaching + making sure you do at least 2 such sessions a week, one tempo run, and one long run. However, to give you an indication, runners at my club who are of a similar standard as you would do those reps in 73/74 (perhaps they do less than you in between speed sessions). When you find you are really struggling to get any quicker, simply shorten your recovery. You should definitely see a fair improvement on that sort of schedule.
  • Options
    I agree with NickJ, in that you need to decide what works best for you in training & stick with it. It does take time, & a degree of luck but that's part of the fun! I've found if you listen to too many people you just end up getting confused.

For me to run well I need 70+ miles a week. If I want to race a marathon I want to get up to 100+ miles a week.
    I'm sensilbe with my diet & get some good sleep. I don't get ill or injured, my massage man is alway's amazed.
    I belive I know how to train for a fast marathon but if someone else did the same it might not work for them!
    I've got a physical job in being a bricklayer & I've asked top coaches Bruce Tulloh & Frank Horwill how this might effect me. I got no answer's, so I've only got myself as a coach.
    I base a lot of my training on Cliff Temple's stuff & the best person I've ever herd talk about training is Mike Gratton, nice & basic.

Happy training all.
  • Options
    How do you fit any of this in to an 80 hour week

This thread makes me a little despondent, i really want to improve, but cant see how
  • Options
    I don't work 80 hrs.
    It must be very hard hippo & I'm amazed that you manage what you do. Not sure I could work that long & train.
  • Options
    Im just being athetic Tim
    i also drink like a fish, and am fat

So I could improve in other ways

its notthe hours, the mental stress is worse
    I havent gone running tonight cos of it, silly
  • Options
    I always find running a good stress reliver. Perhaps a walk in the frsh air for 1/2 hr would do it for you?