Options

How are you spending Boxing Day?

In past years I have stood near the top of the big hill to cheer on friends in this race, and my overriding thought has been that people must be mad, not just to run 7 miles, but to do it off road, up a fecking great hill, in a tutu/santa hat, and on boxing day.

this year I have entered it. What have I done? can I even try to prepare for the hill?

Comments

• Options
    Slumped on the sofa asleep after eating twice my bodyweight in rich food image
  • Options

I always do a run in cwmbran which is brilliant for getting you out of the house with a choice of 1 or 2 laps. . my son does it with me.

Its only a few pounds to enter and you get a token for a free pint in the bar and soup and roll and your number gets you into a big raffle draw. brilliant atmosphere and optional fancy dress. best value race all year

Unfortunately I think I will still be out injured this year so might have to watchimage

• Options
    The chevin isn't that bad, I'd be more concerned about what I look like in a tutu.
  • Options
    Meglet, I heartily recommend the Chevin Chase and I've run every one since 2000 (apart from 2005). I suffered the ignominy 4 years ago of being soundly beaten by a Christmas pudding, complete with sprig of holly image

tbh, I worry more about the depth of the mud in that innocent-looking field a mile from home - if it's been at all moist, the mire will have your trainees off in one stride image

Might see you there....
  • Options
    swittle wrote (see)
    Meglet, I heartily recommend the Chevin Chase and I've run every one since 2000 (apart from 2005). I suffered the ignominy 4 years ago of being soundly beaten by a Christmas pudding, complete with sprig of holly image

LOL Swittle! i will probably be beaten by a myriad of christmas trees, fairies and santas but what the hell!

anyone have a route for the Chevin Chase? i only know The hill and Royalty bit. someone else has been asking.

• Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭

I was first fairy to finish a couple of years ago image. Sadly beaten by a Xmas tree though.

Meglet - the route starts in Moorland avenue and crosses Moor Lane to go up Carlton Lane. At Hopewell farm you turn left and up to the top of the Chevin on a track that passes a couple of stables. Straight across the road (Yorkgate) at the top and down the other side on rough track, bearing right to Danefield House and East Chevin Road. Up the road to turn left into Danefield/Chevin Forset Park by the car park. Straight down the main avenue almost to the end then left to the lower path and turning back on yourself. After about 100m take the left hand fork to a lower track that goes through the wood to finish up on East Chevin Road again. Up for 30m then right into the Quarry car park and onto the track that runs parallel to the top of the Chevin. At the end of this turn left for nice wheeze-inducing climb to the top of the Chevin. You know the rest.

The worst bit isn't the steep climb but the steady upwards over the paving stones. I may have a map somewhere at home. I'll see if I can find and scan it.

• Options
    I will be at glynneath too
  • Options
    Sleeping..I am on nights Christmas night..and boxing night..image
  • Options
  • Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭

OOps

This bit "After about 100m take the left hand fork to a lower track that goes through the wood to finish up on East Chevin Road again. "

should read " After about 100m take the right hand fork to a lower track that goes through the wood to finish up on East Chevin Road again. "

Hope you haven't got lost image

• Options

Looks fun, but I'm working xmas day night...

...maybe I can finish early. What time's kick-off?

• Options
    Now thinking about the cwmbran race
  • Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭

11am start usually.

Entries here.

It fills up reasonably quickly. Usually before the beginning of December.

• Options

Last year did the Boxing Day race in Clevedon (Somerset).

This year plan to be walking in the hills near Kington & staying at Kington Youth Hostel.

• Options
  • Options

ran it the last 2 years but will be at the in-laws this year so missing out

have fun image

• Options

went out with a friend today who showed me the middle part of the Chevin Chase course (from royalty pub and back, roughly)

OMG, that is gonna be tough! i havent done much off-road stuff, i found running on varied terrain pretty challenging, plus i had to walk all the steepest parts. i also found out my max HR was at least 6 beats underestimated! think i will have to practice some more, and pace myself quite carefully come raceday.

• Options
    Meglet - i agree: it's challenging in parts but it's Boxing Day, and I, for one, will be turkeyed up to death image It's got the feel of a fun run but on an uncompromising multi-terrain route. Many runners sensibly take it easy on the steeper parts to save themselves for the faster stretches, so your own advice to yourself is advice I'll be taking too, even after running the 'Chase' six times.
  • Options

"uncompromising multi-terrain route" sums it up pretty well.image

i will certainly be taking it "easy" on the steep bits. "faster" is a relative term too!

• Options

my race number arrived yesterday. starting to feel rather apprehensive about the race. especially as i have missed over a week of training through illness. and i know fitting in more training at this time of year is tricky. however back to it today with a 4.5mile off-road route. i am managing my expectations, just hoping to get round, realising there is a strong possibility i could be last image. well someone has to be.

• Options
    MM, there's a cracking thread on this site about people who've come dead last in an event - and I posted my own experience there image Stories vary from getting lost [me] to a chap who ran 17 minutes for a 5K. - and was still last! Unbelieveable!

I doubt v. much you'll be last: with over 800 runners, many take a very relaxed attitude to where they finish. I'm so confident you'll love the Chevin Chase that I'll pay your entry fee if you don't imageimage
  • Options

thanks for your encouragement Swittle *wonders how to get money off an unknown runner*. A pint after would do! Don't get me wrong, i am really looking forward to it, but expecting it to be the hardest thing i have done so far. I saw the last runner thread too, perhaps i can join it later. Its a bit about my own confidence too, as so far i have only entered really big races where no chance of coming last, i need to get over that.

see you all there

<wonders off to find fairy tutu>

• Options
    The race number you seek matches my age, Merry Meglet: 55 image
  • Options

936, but not my age thankfully. probably will have a white tutu with stars on over my running gear. and a very worried look on my face! (might have to drop the "merry" at that point)

• Options

can someone who's done the chevin chase let me know if its more suited to trainers or spikes?

thanks

• Options
    trainers: good trail shoes or fell shoes without an extreme tread - too much road for spikes!
  • Options

will be wearing my inov8 roclites myself, you will probably need a bit of grip on some of the descents but as swittle said there's some road as well. There again if you're near the back like me you'll REALLY enjoy the  mudbath across the field at top of the chevin on the way back to the finish, you'll probably need waders for that bit !

• Options
    image ye, i've become detached from a shoe or 2 there in past 'Chases'