Options

cold baths

has anyone tried the cold bath theory - and if so how long should you stay in the cold water for?

Comments

• Options
    I have and I thoroughly recommend it!!!

They were invaluable to me when I was training and doing long runs for the FLM.

Recommend:

Sitting in the bath then running the cold water and not inserting yourself into a cold bath cause that will kill you!!!

Have a hot cuppa tea or coffee.

Put a towel around your shoulders.

This way I have stayed in the bath for 20-25 mins.

I also eat a banana as I usually have just come back from a run and need energy.

It works for me and our Paula!!! Not that we are in the same league, mind you!!!
  • Options
    I'm gonna try this again but I might need swimming trunks as that's when I usually bottle out.
  • Options
    Close your eyes and think of England.

It's not too bad if you don't move in the water!!!

BTW to you both, make sure the water covers your all parts of your legs.
  • Options
    If it makes me run fast I'm up for this, might try hot chocolate though!
  • Options
    I fill the bath and then get in stage by stage rather than run the water:

1) stand
    2) kneel (vertical thighs)
    3) kneel (horizontal thighs)
    4) full seated position!

I don't think the trunks will help Tim, but if it does then tell me!

I'm a big fan of cold baths, just wish they made me run as fast as Paula :-)
  • Options
    Try a cold shower, better if you have a detachable shower head though, and just run the water over your legs for 5 mins each one. It does feel good.
  • Options
    I did it by getting into a very tepid shallow bath and then filiing up around me with cold. Stayed in for 20 mins or so.
  • Options
    Well done Old Bean....

I believe cold showers don't work as well as a bath (if at all). I guess the legs need to be completely immersed in the water for it to do the business.

I'm telling you all of this and I am far from Paula Radcliffe's level. But I know that on occasions if I hadn't done this my legs would have been shot to bits with the long runs and they weren't...