Options

Stratford 220 Triathlon - 10th May 2009

1343536373840»

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Seren.  I have just booked my first Tri (a Fun2Tri) and so am looking through threads for hints and tips.  The abbreviations are confusing me a little at mo
  • Options
    no problems.......I only started doing triathlon last year so I haven't a lot of knowledge  but someone will usually be able to answer any questions.................my one word of warning is................be careful.....you will get hooked............I know I did............much more fun than just runningimage
  • Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    Schmunkee - which tri have you booked?  I'm also doing another one of the fun2tri later this year - the South Coast one.  It will be my first open water event.
  • Options

I am doing South West as I am in Swindon so it is local (ish).  I am doing the 'baby' one as it's a taster to see how I get on.  Always wanted to try a Tri but never had the nerve.  And did not want to shell out on expensive gear only to fall flat on my face (literally and metaphorically)

Was looking to marshall at South Coast (is it 15th Aug) but it clashes with Bupa Great Swim in London which I am considering spectating at (with a view to doing it next year).  In some ways I really want to do an open water swim but I am not keen on getting splashed.  I don't even really like being near fast(er) swimmers because they always make tidal waves and it frightens me

• Options
    What about spectating/marshalling at Blenheim Tri Scmunks? Good for transition and kit tips...
  • Options

Funnily enough, have already got that pencilled in for spectatiing but OH is a runner and it's not fair for me to bagsy all the dates

• Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

I considered the South West one as it's probably almost as close as the South Coast one, but I think the dates clashed with something else.  Likewise Hubby is a runner so I can't nick all of the dates.

I was terrified of open water a year ago.  I swore as a kid that I would never get in the sea again because I am afraid of water. I'm OK when i know that I am putting my head under but waves are an unknown and can get you at any time.

Once I conquered my fears and gave it a go I discovered that it isn't actually as bad as I thought it would be.  I now prefer sea swimming to the pool because you have more room to swim without being held up by slower swimmers or swum over by the faster swimmers.  I'm not sure how I am going to get on with a tri though.  All those people starting at the same time and swimming in the same place will be a new experience for me.

• Options

Blenheim is Sat & Sun. image

• Options

@Rug19 - Yeah but there is a Tri/Run/Life balance we have to strike.  With a Junior Schmunkee to think of as well, we have to have some time where it's just us three chilling out.  It's not fair on Junior if it's all about me (!) image Or his Dad imageimage and he just gets packed off with us along with the bikes and running shoes etc.  There has to be time when we get to do what he wants to do.

So that's why Blenheim is only pencilled in at the mo'.  If we have had prior weekends chilling and there are no races for OH on that day then we may well be there, but it's not fair on the others for me to bagsy the date and dictate what we are doing (altho I do like to try from time to time!) 

• Options

ah the old work/tri/run/junior balance paradigm...the age-old challenge!

Maybe see you there!

Was going to spectate but thought i'd volunteer if they need any last minute marshalls-that way i get in free and get to help people too (& maybe get tri-freebies?image)