Options

Mystery lower calf pain

I know there have been lots of posts about calf pain before - I've searched all through the forum - but I thought I'd post anyhow, just to see if anyone can shed any light on this weird random injury that I have.I have been running for about 6 years and fortunately have not had any major troubles. But right now, I seem to have done something to my lower calf, on the inside of the leg. It feels tight and sore if I point my toes upwards, but not desperately painful and doesn't really hurt when I am sitting still - although it feels a bit tight. When I run, it hurts as I push off on my foot, and I almost had to stop a 5 mile run this morning because of it. I'm not overtraining and haven't changed my routine recently. I have changed my running shoes recently - could this be it? For years I have run in Saucony Grid Omis - loved them. But I was in the States recently and tried a new pair of Omnis (in a proper running shop) and the guy said he thought they looked a bit tight (they've narrowed slightly, I think, and I have very wide feet). So he suggested Brooks Adrenaline (he wasn't trying to con me as the Brooks were cheaper). I ran in them a few times whilst I was in the States and liked them, but could they be the cause of my troubles, or is it something else? The only other thing that's changed (and I'm sure it's not this) is that I've recently got a new job where I have to dress smartly - something I am not used to - and have been wearing boots with heels (though not massive, and they are not new boots either).I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts. I run mostly on pavements but this has always been the case - my route has been pretty much the same for the past 3 years (sounds unadventurous but I have a dreadful sense of direction).

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like tight soleus to me Becks. Could be your shoes but you maybe need to do more stretching and massaging on your calfs. I'm no expert tho so maybe someone else will be along with something else.
  • Options
    RMcDRMcD ✭✭✭
    Certainly would try and remedy - if you don't, tightness there is likely to lead to related achilles tendon problems.  Suggest daily calf/soleus stretches and use of an ice pack on the area after every run for now to help micro tears heal. Hard to be sure of the cause unfortunately.  When you push off are your toes angling downwards perhaps (like a ballet dancer) as this increases flexing/stress on calf muscles (if toes hurt when you move them upwards ie dorsiflexed you may be doing this inadvertently).  Problem could be tightness elsewhere - for example, tight medial hamstring or adductors could affect movement of the knee and impact on calf/footplant.  Might be worth at least one visit to a physio just to get an accurate diagnosis.  Foam roller/massage might also help - does sound like soleus which isn't the easiest muscle to stretch properly.
  • Options

Thanks for the replies folks. I must admit, I'm not very good at remembering to stretch and I rarely do it. I would be quite surprised if it was my shoes because I know they are the right type of shoe for me and not radically different to the Omnis anyway.

I don't think I have ever had great running 'form' either and am also very flat-footed!

Thanks for the suggestions...I will start stretching properly. I shall also have to see if I can find a physio - did see an NHS one for something else a couple of years ago who was very good, but had to wait ages! I'd be interested to hear of any recommendations around the Guildford area if anyone knows of one...

ta again for the input.

• Options
    I had the exact same symptoms when I had a small tear in my soleus. Mine came from having tight calf muscles. From what I've read on here different shoes could definitely be the thing that caused the problem to flare. Easy answer is buy a pair of your old sort and see if it helps. I'd start stretching those calves though or you may have trouble in the future.
  • Options
    Sounds like the same trouble I am having, really tight calves causing tears. So frustrating! Although you dismiss it, wearing heels to work if you weren't doing so previously may have contributed, as your calf muscles will shorten and so will have to stretch more when running. Try and avoid walking too far in heels - I commute in flats or trainers and switch to heels in the office. Helps a bit.
  • Options

I'm in the exactly the same position as you beckstrous, just seen a phys and I have bursitis caused by a tight soleus muscle. I have to do eccentric exercises and good stretching, take anti inflams for 12 days and it should right itself. (Apparently I can run after 7 days)

I also have had shoe problems and the phys has suggested that the change of shoes has caused irritation of the bursa between the soleus and the achilles.

I have to wear heels to work too...... its a nightmare!!!!

• Options

Really interesting feedback guys! My last job was a totally casual environment so it is a bit weird wearing heels - someone said I was 'tall' the other day and I'm not really; I'm just average!

I find if I don't run for a bit, the pain (which only really comes when running, or when walking after running) goes away. Did 5 miles this morning and it was starting to creep up again towards the end, though not as bad as previously. I think in a couple of days I am going to go for a run in the old shoes (the ones I have always worn), just to see what happens.

I actually loved the Omni 5s, what a shame you can't get hold of them any more!

• Options
    xink1982xink1982 ✭✭✭
    Hi Beck - I've sadly had to retire from running a few months ago with knee injuries .... However I do recall being side-lined quite early on in my running career with persistent calf pain and was unable to train for at least a month
    The solution was pretty simple - Knee Length compression socks - They don't look attractive - but they seriously reduce the impact and pounding your calf's take every time your leg strikes against the pavement.

They are fairly inexpensive and well worth a try at least (if your considering more expensive options) - I had no injuries ( with my calf's at least) since the day I wore the socks