Options

How much difference does starting pace actually make to race times?

Hi all.  I have a 10k race a week on Sunday and I am going for a pb.  My current pb is 47:08, but I have been training really hard and running well since then so I know I can knock some time off.  In my last one it measured long at 10.36km and I finished in 47:09 so I reckon the 10km mark was about 45:40ish.

Mile splits were:

1     6:51
2     7:21
3     7:07
4     7:25
5     7:27
6     7:46
0.44 3:10

My problem is that I ALWAYS set off too quickly and then run out of steam on the second half.  I keep being told that setting off too quickly will slow me down, but how much difference does it actually make?  I have a Garmin and want to set it to stop me doing this, but still allow me to finish in under 45 mins (as close to 43:18 as possible so I can beat my rival would be great too lol).  It's a flat fast course too.  Can anybody suggest what times I should set my Garmin for?

Thank you!

Comments

• Options

On your Garmin, if it's a 305, use the quick workouts to set a distance and time workout, set it to 10k and the time you want to achieve 43:18 it will calculate the pace you need to run at, it is about 6:58 m/m, it will also display your virtual training partner when you start the workout image

Good luck

• Options
    Dont forget that your garmin wont be completely accurate - but unless there has been a mistake - the race will be accurate.
  • Options
    Most of my best races this year have had a starting split that's the slowest kilometre/mile of the race. That said, my all-time best 10k (41'39") was run with a blistering first kilometre, and ended up being a positive split rather than negative.
  • Options

My tactic would be to cover the first km fast, in order to get off the line quickly and (if there's a large field or a narrow course) ahead of the mid pack so as not to get crowded or boxed in. You could then ease off a bit in mid race, but only a bit to regroup, before hitting it hard for the final few km.

My best times in races have come when I've "overpromoted" myself at the start and then had a clearer run than I would in the main body of the pack. But it can turn into a bit of a struggle at the end if you don't pace the middle part of the race properly.

And don't forget the warmup. If you want to race it seriously, you should arrive at the start line already sweating.

• Options

Oh, and as regards the Garmin - leave it at home. Your body and breathing tell you how hard you can run, and the course markers tell you how far you've gone. It's the organizers' course length and mile markers that matter, not the Garmin's.

The Garmin's a great training tool but a distraction in races. A watch is all you need at events.

• Options
    Thank you so much everyone for all your advice.  I will try to do a better warm up than I usually do (ie actually do one!).  I will have a good think this week about what's going to work for me mentally and then hopefully....image.  
  • Options
    Don't forget to let us know how you get on, hopefully with a big smile image
  • Options
    I will do.  Thanks again!
  • Options

The Garmin won't necessarily be accurate - gps reception can vary, and despite the recent improvements in antennae the Forerunner can still get confused by tree cover, high buildings, etc.

Also, officially recognised courses have been properly measured. They also add a small percentage for margin of error, because any likelihood of the course being short will invalidate the times. The mile or km markers might not be pinpoint accurate but should be fairly so (obviously, sometimes there are mistakes). But either way, it is the organizers' measured distance that counts for recording purposes, not that shown on a gadget on your wrist.

You'll never get atomic accuracy on a course.

As if organizers didn't have enough to deal with, they now get people after a race moaning at them that their 10K was short or long because the Garmin says it was 9.9, 10.2 or whatever.

• Options

ive learnt this the hard way,starting of to fast meant i felt realy bad throughout the second half of a run, as i was knackered in the second half and i then started getting overtaken.

now it was hard,but the last few races ive done,i deliberately slowed my pace down at the start,to the minute miles i want for the whole run,and ive set 3pb's over 3 continuous weekends,its hard to do,but you will find as i did that you will be stronger at the end,and start over taking people.

the garmin is a godsend and something i rely on a lot,it will tell you if your to fast or to slow,you can base your run on it,by refering to it for your pace, minute miles and distance left etc.

• Options

Might get away with going out fast in a 5k or shorter and trying to hang on, but I wouldn't use that tactic in anything longer. Nothing worse than lots of runners passing you by.

Agree that the Garmin isn't always 100% accurate, but I wouldn't run without it now, stops me getting dragged off by the faster runners then running out of steam towards the end.

• Options

I will run with my Garmin as I feel lost without it now.  Nearly didn't have a choice though as it developed an electrical fault and kept switching itself off.  Luckily the shop swapped it for me.  I think I will probably try to run even splits at least for the first 3 miles and then if I am feeling strong will try to pick it up a bit for the last 3.  Thanks for all the advice on here.  It's good to know I am not the only one with starting block fever image.

• Options

Well, at the risk of sounding like an heretic, I think that watches/GPSs/any time-distance measuring devices are probably counterproductive in producing your best race times except for distances over 30k where pacing through the first half becomes absolutely crucial and quite tricky to juge without some sort of time piece.

But, let's asume we're talking about half marathon or less, then I think it's safe to say that provided you have done a few races over the same distance that you're planning to run a PB over, during your build-up, you'll have a very finely tuned idea of the maximum pace that you can sustain over your goal race distance. In which case, leave the watch at home because the only thing it'll tell you is:

1. You're running too fast
    2. You're running too slow
    3. The mile markers are in the wrong place!

None of the above are useful, therefore a watch/GPS isn't useful in a race.

Furthermore, not wearing a watch ensures that you never cross the finish line and then complain that you're official time doesn't match your watch time image

• Options

i also like to know what minute miles im doing,right away,as opossed to when i get to the markers,because if im wrong then there may be a bit to make up.

the garmin  tells you everything you need to know at a glance,but everyone is different and prefer their own routines.

• Options
    To a degree I go with both perspectives here. I've had good and bad experiences with and without a watch. I ran my first GSR at 17 years old in 70 minutes without a clue what my pacing was.

But I ran my fastest ever 5 miles (32'33") using a watch and strict splits.

I think you need the experience to run a race to your best... but that when you don't have that experience, a watch can help
  • Options

Hi everyone. 

I did my race today and I got my pb  - 44.42  image.  

I ran with my Garmin as I decided it was my comfort blanket and I am not confident enough in knowing my pace yet.  It stopped me going off too quickly and helped me to speed up when I realised my pace was dropping below 7:30.  I managed to run a fairly evenly paced race I think which is somewhat of a miracle for me.

My mile splits were:

1  7:07
    2  7:11
    3  7:17 (slightly uphill)
    4  7:06
    5  7:00
    6  7:16 (hill near the finish)
    +  1:41

I didn't do well enough to beat my rival, but considering last year I did this race in 49:20 I think I could do soon...

Thanks again for all your advice - it really did help.

• Options
    Very nice run Dippycat .
  • Options

Congratulation Dippycat, knocking 5 minutes off a 10k is some achievment, really well done

• Options

well done dippy,a great achievment,and proof that the garmin is a valuable aid for running.

although, after learning not to shoot off at the start on the road races, i did my second xc on sunday, and guess what, i shot off at the start, i did the first 2 miles in around 12.20 i think,and over the 5.24 mile course i averaged 6.27 min miles, so paid the price on the last 3.

so i will be making a point of holdong back at the next one.