Options

ITBS - Train or Rest?

I have upset the running gods and been struck down with ITBS. Actually I have not warmed up properly and deserve all that I get to be honest. I had several weeks of physio which was enough to get me through the Worksop Half with a PB and the New York Marathon. However, subsequent running has been uncomfortable and I have concluded that staying away from outdoor running is necessary if I am to return to the outdoors soon.

So what can I do to stay fit. As anyone been through this before and continued training/treatment? What kind of training? Bike/Cross Trainers? Other CV work?

Please help as I am falling in to a lack of training depression but want to get back to full fitness as soon as possible.

DP

Comments

• Options

Personaly I would avoid cycling. Swimming is always a good option to keep up the fitness whilst avoidind the stress of road running.

Also lots of band streching and warm baths.

• Options
    I'd probably be happy to cycle, if it doesn't inflame the IT band. Just make sure you don't find yourself 40 miles from home when it starts to hurt (which is quite conceivable on a bike!) - you'll already know that you absolutely mustn't push it through pain. It'll help (probably) if your bike is set up properly.

The elliptical trainer, or any of those cross-country ski-type machines, should be ideal, and rowing machines are superb for CV work.

I'd steer clear of swimming. It's probably brilliant if you have ITBS, I just can't take the boredom!
  • Options

When I said cycling it was in the safety of the gym which is about 400yds from my front door. I have done a fair bit of it in the build up to New York and don't get any pain or reaction so I thought it was fairly safe. I have combined it with the cross-country ski type machines as well which has been equally fine.

Interestingly both you and Tom Tom are at complete opposite ends of the spectrum with one saying swim don't bike and the other saying bike don't swim. Maybe the answer is complete rest for a few weeks with gentle stretching, massage and warm baths with dead sea salts?

As an aside I can't see me swimming. As a rule I only swim when the depth becomes greater than the maximum possible distance between my tip toes and my nostrils. I avoid these situations whenever possible!

• Options
    Hello mate, I too have succumbed to the dreaded, mine is a problem bought about through a problem with my hip / peilvis dropping after Ive run higher mileage, which then manisests itself through the ITBS in my right knee, chiro put my pelvis back 1/2 inch rested for a Week and tried a gentle jog today....seamed fine for a mile while on the flat but as soon as I came to a dreaded downward hill the tell tail niggle started, gutted as In thought that a Weeks rest would have been enough for the swelling to go down, its a nightmare if your owt like me, I panick over putting all the weight back on, are you using ice on your troublesome knee? 
  • Options

I was prior to New York because I wanted to run New York so much. I haven't since I got back but feel I ought to start it up again. I have resolved to do the following;

Massage once/day

Stretches twice/day

No impact exercise

Warm baths - with dead sea salts

NO SWIMMING!

When reading your post about the downhill section I found myself nodding along - exactly the same for me when trying to run again.

• Options

sound stupid but not heard about the warm baths and sea salt ? also make sure that there s not an under lying factor (like my pelvis dropping) as it wont matter how much massaging/baths etc you do it'll still come back ! keep me upto date re how it is please

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

I'm suffering with ITBS at the moment and have found this stretch really helps...

http://dofb.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/itbs-stretch.png

But according to

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0168-knee-injuries.htm

stretching is not the answer ... the answer according to this site is to "simply perform 'Walt Reynolds's ITB Special' on a nearly daily basis".

They also comment on suitable cross training...

"If you've already got a severe case of iliotibial band syndrome, stay in shape by swimming and aquarunning: they will keep you fit without aggravating your condition. Cycling and stair climbing are usually out, because they can produce considerable rubbing of an inflamed ITB band on the outer edge of the femur, potentially delaying recovery."

• Options

Excuse me but whats a Walt Reynolds special ?

• Options
  • Options

Hi

I have been reading this with interest, I have a problem with ITBS too, am having physio, but my pain is down one side of my hip.  I have stretches and excercises to do, which I am doing, but would this one help too, or is it more geared to the knee area?

Thanks

• Options

Will give that one a go!!!

Thanks

• Options
    Redpanda wrote (see)

Hi

I have been reading this with interest, I have a problem with ITBS too, am having physio, but my pain is down one side of my hip.  I have stretches and excercises to do, which I am doing, but would this one help too, or is it more geared to the knee area?

Thanks

Cannot say whether it would help. Stretching certainly didn't help my ITBS. However the WR stretch affects both hip and knee... you're more likely to feel any ITB stretch at the hip area anyway.
  • Options

Thanks Siance ...that's a bit worrying (!)....about the stretches not helping and all....what did help (if anything).

RP

• Options

Rest from running initially image foam rollering, youch! image and Pose running image seem to keep mine at bay. Stretching made mine so much worse. In fact I avoid any ITB stretch now!

• Options

I was struck down with ITBS about 3 weeks ago.  Came on towards the end of a long run (my longest ever - 16 miles) as just a niggle on the outside of my right knee.  Didn't know what it was at the time but then I did a hilly run a few days later and it was niggling again until I got a shooting pain after about an hour.  It stopped me dead but after giving it a rub and waiting a few minutes I was able to carry on running relatively pain free.  I read up about it and realised it was probably my IT band, but stupidly I ran a fell race a few days later.  It felt OK during the race but was quite sore afterwards and for a few days later.  I then rested completely for a week.  Since then I've been running twice a week but each time it niggles during the run and is a bit sore the day after.  It's not getting worse but it's not getting better either.

I've tried stretching and rolling it but I'm not convinced that's helping.  My instinct is to rest or cross-train rather than mess about with it.  Cycling and rowing machine seems OK for me - doesn't aggravate it at all. 

• Options

Thanks Siance. 

I suppose it can be cause by so many things, the treatments probably greatly vary.  I think my excercises and stretches are helping, though admitedly I have not done any really long runs (and this is where it can start to hurt)...I can still feel something there on my shorter runs, but not as bad as before...but it could be in my head I suppose!!  ARGHH..time will tell I guess.

• Options

I swear by the foam roller approach. Also doing 1 leg dips to strengthen the quads and calfs as this will ultimately improve your form and stop the knee rolling in which is a major contributer to itbs. As is running on cambered roads btw.
  • Options

Yes, my hips roll inwards and so do my knees (as well as the weak glutes!)....She prescibed this excercise where I have to stand and clench my buttocks, then slowly squat (not that low though), whilst holding in the stomach and keeping the buttocks tight...making sure my weight is over my toes! It's quite difficult remembering it all.

What do you do for a leg dip? (sorry if that sounds stupid)

• Options
    Well, Ive come to the conclusion that stretches are not for me, Ive tried a few and they just make it worse, must admitt Im starting to get frustrated now at the lack of improvement, feels fine to walk on but the moment I run...%$^%^%$$^&^^%$$ AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH !!!!
  • Options
    Could it be that the stretches are meant to make it hurt, so it gets better?  I have heard it said it sometimes gets worse before it gets better?  I dunno though, just clutching at straws, but I thought I had heard that somewhere?
  • Options

I read somewhere that the IT band doesn't have any pain receptors, so you don't actually know when (or how well) you are stetching it.

Does anyone have any advice on when to use the foam roller - before or after a run or on a rest day?  Should you give it time to recover before you run again?

• Options

leg dips. 

Stand side on to a step with one foot on the step and the other dangling over the edge.  Bend the single leg that is on the step keeping an eye on the line your knee takes.  It should track downwards in a straight line and stay over your foot (ie not swing sideways either in or out).  Repeat 10 times and then do the other leg too otherwise you get imbalanced.

• Options

I've just been struck down with this as well, trained for and ran the NY marathon without any problems, but then jumped straight into running again as soon as I got back, including intervals, tempo runs, a 5k race, LSR etc.  I think it's simply a case of not giving my body enough rest after NY, I had niggles elsewhere and this must have affected my running style.  Felt the knee go a bit last week, then did a ten miler last night which really brought it on.

I'm ok to walk, just the usual getting up from a sitting position and walking up and down stairs that makes it hurt.  i'm taking ibuprofen, wasn't sure whether to keep icing it though?  I can't swim so it would be interesting to hear what types of cross training others have successfully done when waiting for this to pass.  Cycling and the cross trainer are accessible to me, but only if it's not going to hinder my recovery.

• Options

Stretching - only effective if your IT band is tight (physio will test you). If it's not tight, and the lower portion is inflammed (sore to touch on fibula head) then excessive stretching will make this worse by disrupting the laying down of collagen as it tries to heal. (Band composition is unlike muscle fibres).

True about the stretch receptors (another reason why it's easy to over-stretch as you can't feel it).

Foam rollering - no idea when's best. I do mine after running when the tissues are nice and warm and on non-run days.

Icing - it won't go deep enough to affect the band but if it helps in terms of pain relief then continue to use it. Just protect skin etc.

• Options

Ah, thanks Siance, that corresponds with what she said. 

She said my right side (the sore side) was really tight, hence, that is when she did her torture bit, digging with the elbow and all to help loosen it up!  Going back today for more funimage

Thanks, it's interesting stuff this.

RP

• Options

Enjoy! image

Mr S tentatively asked for a MOT this weekend, in prep for race next week image

• Options

All good advice guys although I think my injury is pretty similar to moolarb in the way it manifests itslef.

Cross training, cycling, walking, up/down stairs, twisting are all perfectly fine and so is running for about 400m and then it starts. I can race by taking ibuprofen but would prefer to be injury free and have made a pact with myself to do the stretching religiously.

Not aware of the foam roller though - Can someone elaborate?

• Options

Thanks Siance - very helpful.  My pain/tenderness is indeed around the top of the fibula.  I am coming to the conclusion that I should stop buggering about with it (stretching, rolling) and just rest.  It feels like I might be delaying recovery or possibly making it worse.  Cross training on bike & rower seems OK so I'll carry on with that to maintain fitness.

I should see a physio really but I can't afford it.

• Options

imageHi guys & gals hope you don't mind me putting my pennyworth in???

imageI too have been suffering with ITB - I really would recommend (if you possibly can) go to a physio even if its only for one session, so at least they can give you the advice that is right for you.

imageMine was brought on by hill running & possibly due to the steep camber of the roads/lanes 'cos I always run facing the traffic so left leg is always higher than right leg - downhill  is worse than up - I was ok untill after Bristol half mara (which I did slowly)  & then a few weeks after it came on - the extra mileage I did plus hills probably was the cause - I had advice about stretching & had massage & was told to cut back on the running  so ran just once a week - then twice a week & now am up to 3 times aweek  BUT have to walk down the hills, also advised to run in the pool, ( I do aqua aerobics once a week, ride horse 3 times a week) cycle was ok if I wanted to do that. My routes vary fro 3-5 miles so not very far yet but am building up slowlyimagevery frustrating 'cos I am an oldie who has only been running for a year or so but have caught the bug!!!!!

imageI still feel a slight pull/tightness???  just under left knee & sort of on the corner of knee but am able to run on & if I feel like walking then I do. I was told by some other great guys on another forum  "No run is a bad run" & "if you have to walk then just enjoy your walk 'cos at least you are out & doing something".

imageSorry to waffle on , hope this may help some of you, different things work for different people BUT I was Warned don't try to run thriugh the pain of ITB it will only make recovery much longer if you do.

TTFN Nessie