Options

Sunday 7th December

For me givin' up's way harder than tryin'

Well if nobody else is going to start it......

What: 6.86m on the exercise bike (pedal fell off - I kid you not!), leg weights and core - all d&d. May see if I can fit in a little bit of something later, but no twinges of any description from the foot at all, so cycling seems ok.
Why: Working with what I've got.
Last hard: Every day I guess
Last rest: Y'day

Well done to Scobos (very well raced) and all other racers/xc'ers and trainers.

Mike - a tired demoralising run is better than no run. As long as you're moving it's all good image

Have a good day folks!

Comments

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Wow only one post at 12.14, that must be a first!

Have you got a turbo trainer TT.  I found that an excellent way of getting my HR up when injured.

what - am 20 miles @ average 7.40 pace.  Miles 15-18 @ marathon effort / pm 4 miles
    why - after a sub 3 marathon

• Options

Afternoon All

What: 7.5 Miles in 55 mins D & D
    why: Seemd like a good idea
    Last Hard: Friday
    Last Rest: 9.11.08

Scobos: Nice race

• Options

Afternoon all,

GrahamG:  Well done on the 40s improvement.

Scobos:  Well done to you and the Mrs.  Sounds idyllic

TMR:  You seem to have recovered well from Florence to run a good XC

BR:  Solid XC off a century week.  Now why can't I do that?

Pammie:  Hang on in here - you've been doing excellent training lately.

RFJ:  Your going well at them moment - civvy st. must agree with you image

Gobi: Solid stuff as usual.  You don't seem to have lost much after your rest.

MikeS:  I have heard that interpretation of "Perfect Day", but again, I'd much rather he stuck with "Because when the smack begins to flow, I really dont care anymore".  No room for mis-interpretation there. 

Quiet today - has everyone seen the frost and crawled back under the duvet?

• What:  21m
    • Why:  It's Sunday
    • Last Hard:  Thursday
    • Last Rest: 11 days

Have a good one!

• Options

Afternoon

it is quiet isn't it

AF - Thanks, Only 6  night shifts till christmas. I think i decided last night to do what i can when i can and not worry about it till christmas is out the way. So no work till Thursday finally caught up with sleep woke at a reasonable hour and went for a long run

Did see the frost but headed out anyway

What: 12.18 miles in 2;07:05
    Why: DWICWIC (doing what i can when i can) think its got a nice ring to it
    Last Hard: Today i guess

About 1½ miles in i encountered a few icy patches from the puddles that were on the path knew there would be others so headed off road where i did 9 miles off road before coming back home again

• Options

What: 20 (mins, not miles, sadly) off road on rutted ice river bank...enjoyable nevertheless in the bright sunshine.
    Why: continuing to be cautious until I am sure all my niggles are out of the way.
    Lyrics: of course not.

Well done to those who did manage a long run.

Just been reading about cancellation of Luton marathon because of an overturned car. 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

The need for Speed...

Someone please, please pinch me.....

Victory 5m race - today and aiming for a tough PB of 31:33 set 3 years ago.........

Felt good, felt strong even after yesterdays XC, weather freezing but perfect, what more could a racer want..... SUB 30.... Never in a million years...

Well that millionth year came around today.....

Started very near the front as wanted a fast start, it worked....

Mile 1 - 5:50 and blowing, bliddy hard work
    Mile 2 - 5:56 and tuck into the back of a group of 8 or so
    Mile 3 - 6:08 all hanging on to group, and starting to blow out of all available holes...
    Mile 4 - 5:54 the group is getting smaller, down to four and im 2m of their backs..
    Mile 5 - 5:51 The group is no more as I pass 3 out of the four and sprint for the line its close......

29:42, WHAT........ 29:42, this is the hardest I have ver raced and was all down to the group that I got into, all of us were in arms and shaking hands at the end as we all knew something special had happended for 3 of us going sub 30. Great comradery, great race. A new PB by 1 min 49 secs......................

1st home for the club too, BOUNCE, BOUNCE, BOUNCE to say i am happy is an understatement.

• Options
    RFJ - Oh gosh, that is so fantastic really pleased for you and by a big margin too great that you got into the right group... and first from your club. Now thats a great feeling
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    RFJ - NICE :¬)

3rd race of the weekend for me and the worst of the bunch as I just had no go. Not the legs but chest was a touch tighter than yesterday so no ability to raise HR, 18th place.

Rach won her race and even took the time to go for an ICE bath before getting up and running on. We did spend the afternoon in casualty as she was stitched back together. Xray showed no break but she has also damaged her finger and knuckles on her right hand.
  • Options

Jeez RFJ that's a brilliant effort - even more so as those splits suggest you were dying on your @rse at 3 miles - all credit to you for picking it up again. Congratulations.

what: 13.1 miles in 99:50;  HR stats unavailable - HRM playing up for first 3 miles. Figures looked nice & low when it finally behaved.
    why: long run of the week - had to get this in as race next Sunday will make something similar next week very hard to fit in.

A negative split actually...basically due to legs taking a while to wake up after yesterday evening's 8.3 . Last 2 miles were the fastest - last mile indeed went under 7:00. So, quite pleased, certainly feeling happier than I was 48 hours ago.

• Options
    RFJ: fantastic, no wonder youre happy
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Well done RFJ on the pb.

Gobi, well done to you and Rach especially going on to win after her fall.  Hope she mends soon.  I just said to BR, she sounds worse than me for having accidents and believe me I have a fewimage

• Options

RFJ - it's fantastic when you get days like that. Enjoy it.  You could pop onto the `Advice on the Victory 5' thread and give Mr Farqhuarson some tipsimage

Gobi - take care with the recovery. I'm sure you will.  I bet you're fed up with the sight of hospital interiors!  Hope she mends soon.

• Options

RFJ - great barrier to break - one of the indicators for a sub 3hr marathon - well done!

Hilly - you really sound motivated - good stuff.

Pammie - nice going girl!

Gobi/Rachael - amazing! Rachael - be careful out there - hope Gobi is looking after you.

AF - another decent long run - you guys make it seem so easy!

What: No run today - spent my day in the garden. Husband spent Saturday afternoon in the garden with the chainsaw, so I had plenty to clean up!!

I'm in the mode of - should I do a bit of training for track or should I start building up again for another marathon. Just don't know. Very hot here at the moment - so will have to get out early whatever I decide to do!

Good running everyone.

• Options
    Evening folks.

RFJ - a great race...and a huge PB. Very well done.

Weather completely turned overnight here in the Western Highlands...windy and wet this morning. Headed back over to Skye for my long run. Planned route was 80% off road, with much of it hilly and rocky. I think the split tells the story of the wind direction and terrain...first 7 miles in 63mins, second 7 miles in 49mins! Mile splits ranged from about 6.20 to 10mins plus! But a very enjoyable, rain-lashed, wind-battered 14 miles with just short of 2000ft of ascent/descent. Great fun.

Have a great night.
  • Options

Evening everyone, just popping my head into the thread to see what's going on!

Fantastic PB RFJ, sub 30 for 5M is a great milestone, now you just have to to do the same pace for 10k (should be about a sub37mins equivalent I think)!

Had a nice trot this afternoon into the sunset along the trail near my house. I did 8M which is the furthest and longest time I've run in one go since July or even June. Felt good all the way despite not eating or drinking much prior to the run. Yeah, the pace was slow, but very manageable in the muddy and icy conditions! It felt good to run once again with just my thoughts for company image

What: 8M in 1hr 13 (base training pace)
    Why: 3rd run of the week and a good day for it
    Last hard: don't do this anymore; my runs are about enjoyment!
    Weekly mileage: 16.5M

Made the decision this week to run as an unattached runner in 2009, entering the odd race here and there, and train 3 times a week or whenever I feel like it. My life is in a good place these days so obsessing about my training can go look somewhere else!

• Options

Evening peeps.

What: rest day.

Well raced RFJ and Scobos.

Scobos: Not a bad weekend for our team ! (Much better than last weekend eh !!)

Enjoy what's left of your weekend peeps.

• Options

RFJ, how fantastic!  Very well done

DD - good to see your form coming back so quick

NN - excellent long run, training early for the spring marathons ?

Hilly - v good long run too - pretty fast !

TT - LOL about the exercise bike

I completed the Marathon Costa del Pacifico today here in Vina del Mar, Chile.  We left the UK on Friday night and arrived here at 2pm yesterday in time to register for the marathon, and were up at 4:15am to get to the buses to the start (it is an A to B run) for the 7:30 kick off.  As this is not exactly the best way to prepare for a marathon, and with the second much harder marathon in 5 or 6 days time, my plan was to take it real slow and steady.  By starting from near the back of the pen (to avoid the temptation of being swept along) I trundled along at 5:30/km type pace the whole way keeping the heart rate around the 130 mark throughout.  It undulated a fair bit so I also walked up the hills.  This felt very strange but keeping the mantra of "going slow now gives the option of a good run next week" in my head worked well. Luckily it was overcast so the temperature was only 21 C .... had the sun appeared it would have been more like 25 - 30 C.  The race was really well organised with good water and fruit stops every 5 km and very friendly too.  3:50 is certainly the slowest conventional marathon I have ever run but the legs will thank me for it next week on the Antarctic ice.  Great fun !!! 

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Great work DM
    RFJ - amazing stuff, you're on fire at the moment!!!
    Re the Overton xc, BR - its possible that you may have seen me warming up, sorry I missed you both before and after. I'm certain I saw RFJ (in the stripes) on all 3 laps of the race in that bottom field but couldn't find you after the race either. For me? well first xc in the Basingstoke club colours, we had a decent turnout in the mens race so plan was to run steady with two other club guys about the same pace as me. Didn't find the hill too daunting (well maybe on the third lap), and came in I think inb 126th in 37:12. Fairly happy with that and I don't think I could have given a lot more. Apparently the course measured around 5.25m? Any ideas what that roughly equates to for a flat 10k??

Today - 75minutes very easy this morning - country lanes and offroad. The world was white & frosty!

Have a super week.

• Options
    Well done Dustin - concensus seems to be to add on 3 mins for your current 10k time.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Well done to the racers esp RFJ - I  was wondering about that race as I ran round the City (Portsmouth) today, it was a lovely still day and it doesnt happen often. Well played RFJ - top banana.

• Options

Good stuff RFJ - it was you that ran a half pb too recently wasn't it ?

What - nothing