Options

Too soon for 1st marathon?

I started running 7 months ago. 2 months ago I completed a half marathon (Great cumbrian run in 1:46). I now want to aim for the Edinburgh marathon at the end of May. However entries close on friday and i don't know whether I'm ready. Since half marathon i had to take 6 weeks off with no running whatsoever with ITBS. However that seems to have fixed itself and i am building my distances back up. I have read lots that says that 1 to 2 years of constant running is required before training which it putting me off a bit. But my goal is simply to finish and i wouldn't be running for time.What do people think should i enter or stick with a few more halfs first? (ps was averaging 25 miles a week in training for half)

Comments

• Options
    I'd say go for it, I have yet to do a HM, or run further than 11 miles, but I am doing my first marathon in April.
  • Options

Luke it depends on what you want to acheive, a reasonable time or just get round.

I ran the Hasting marathon on Sunday and I only started running in February.

I had only run one half marathon in 2hrs 03 mins back in september but managed the full hilly marathon in 4hrs 25mins without going over the top with training.Most of my training was on a three runs aweek plan.

I guess its up to you but I think you should go for it.

• Options
    definately go for it - i ran my first marathon 10 months after taking up running (was a couch potato before that) - you've plenty of time to train for a marathon at the end of may.
  • Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭

It depends on you goal really, in my opinion I would prefer my body to be able to cope with the rigors of training before I compete a full marathon. I think the training required to get a good time would be detrimental to my body, too much too soon, however, I think i could complete a full marathon but not with a time i would be happy with. Since running is  a long term goal i'd rather build up the stamina and enable my body to adjust to cope with such regular long distance running.

I started running last year and did too much too soon and had shin splints for ages, I still did a HM and it went OK, did the same HM (Nottingham) this year in 1h 32mins, but the early training set me back rather than helped me. It's best to work up to the distances. But if you want to do a one off marathon then maybe it will be OK. I do not see the point of running a 1h32min HM and then a 4 plus hour marathon just for the sake of it, i'd rather be good at the distance, or at least as good as I can be.

Most importantly don't put too much stress on your body, it will be counter productive. I am not sure how good training for long distance races is for your body, i assume there will be an optimun distance before it start s to lose its benefits.. 

• Options

Go for it if you are willing to put in the training!!!

I started running (walking faster!) in July  and Edinburgh will be my first marathon..............if you dont chase your dreams you will only regret it next year. dont worry too much about the time after all it will be YOUR personal best.

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

Go for it Luke, and go for sub 4 while you're at it!  

just be aware that injuries are not things that happen to other runners, if you don't address that itbs it will come back at some point if you training up to mara distance

• Options

I would wait personally and do it when you are sure you have trained properly.

Also do a 20 mile race first, so you can creep up on marathon distance. People tend to be a bit obsessed about doing marathons, often too soon.

Anyway, its up to you image

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice. Although I said my ultimate aim would simply to get round i would certianly be training with a view to going sub 4 hours - providing my body is telling me it can cope with the strain of the training.Mr Puffy as you said my worry is the potential for injury. Although my ITBS seems fine and my physio did not seem to think it was related to the way i run - i am still very conscious of potential flare ups and whether trying to run a marathon would simply be asking for trouble.Anyway leaning towards the yes I should do it side of things at the moment!
  • Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭

Regarding the ITBS have you checked your running style and bought suitable trainers?

I suffered and then it went away, but it has come back and I had to ease off much to my annoyance!

If running is a long term goal then there really is no hurry is there? It is often said that you should just aim to complete your first marathon and not worry about the time, although I find this a hard concept to grasp personally speaking.

• Options
    Do it.  I did my first marathon 5 months after starting to run and it was fine - in fact a real joy, so I'd say go for it.  Just be aware that dedication to the training is the most important thing...  Good luck!
  • Options
    you only live once, what's the worst that can happen?
  • Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    what's the worst thing you can do? cause serious injury.
  • Options

I want mince pies-allini wrote (see)
    you only live once, what's the worst that can happen?

Exactly!  Take it seriously, trainproperly,  but don't put off the decision to do it...

• Options

Luke

how's u friend

read all these posts and more to come and pick what suits you ahh

ONE- respect the distance , as already said - don't become compleacant over 26 miles

you've got 5 months to get there in - you've done a HM -

easy for me to talk i know - but i think - yes i'd go for it -

and who ever said - ( if i have it right ) you need up to two years of training to get through a marathon

well, that i assume depends on what the individual  want ahh !!

good luck , there's some fantastic suport on RW    

i read lots of stuff on RW, and some of it makes me just remember

• Options
    If you can do a half in 1.46 then you have the base fitness to do the marathon training needed in 7 months and after that it's just what time you want to do it in? I'd go for it, but that's easier said when it's someone else you don't know telling you this. Good on like above you only live once. image