Options

Weight training help...

Hopefully somebody here can help...

I've been doing weight training in the gym for about a month now to increase my strength (fixed not free weights).

I have built up a workout involving three circuits of 15 reps of 15 different stations (if that makes sense). I've got to the stage where I can fairly easily complete the set and want to know what to do next.

I've asked the staff at the gym but they are fiarly clueless as far as running is concerned. What I'd like to know is this:

Should I increase the resistance or the number of repititions. I know that there is exceedingly little chance of turning from Mr Bean to Arnie overnight but I'm a distance runner and I want to avoid putting on too much extra weight.

Thank-you!

Rob

Comments

• Options
    I started weight training about 6 weeks ago. For running the recommendation I has was to start at 20 reps and then add two reps per week until I reached 30 then add a weight and drop back to 20 again.

However, for some (mainly leg) exercises I am sticking at low weights - high reps.
  • Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    Hi ya i got into going to gym circuit training using free weights then running so have approached it all from the other way round. I find that changing around the circuit stations using either free weights or fixed weights is a way to make sure your still actual stimulating your muscles. Aslong as i keep reps and weights the same it is just the act of a change of movement that shocks my muscles to be able to "feel" the benefits. Don't get stuck in a rut of always doing the same station or you'll get bored too!
  • Options
    I've been weight training for 14 years now and the key to success is variety! Now you have a base try and vary your work oput as much as possible. 15 stations seems an awful lot to be doing in one day, so see a fitness trainer about getting a split programme where you do one groups of muscles one day and the rest of the body the next.

perhaps the most important thing is to have clear, achievable goals...a bit like running really.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    I've been weight training for 3 years, and I agree with everything mcc says. Some kind of variety is essential, whether you change the exercises themselves, the number of reps or the weight. I read somewhere that if you always repeat the same workout, your muscles adapt to it so that they do the same work with less effort - which sounds good, but means you get less benefit from it.

Roberto - there's no real answer to your concern about gaining weight. It's an individual thing: not everyone starts to pack on muscle by lifting heavy weights, just like not everyone turns into Maurice Green by doing speedwork. You'll only ever gain weight slowly by lifting, so you'll always be able to alter your programme if you feel you're gaining too much.

By the way, it's worth considering bringing in some work on free weights - they exercise extra muscles because you have to support and control the weight as well as lift it, whereas the machines do all that for you.
  • Options
    Roberto

As long as you keep up the CV sessions you will probably find that you are unable to build too much bulk - more definition than size. Think about trying to include some functional strength exercises in your routine as I expect your main aim is to build a bit of strength to help with the end of a race (I find that I "run" with my arms quite a lot if I am getting tired and there is a hill). Functional exercises may be ones that utilise your body weight (press-ups and pull-ups) rather than relying on dumbbells or machines, include core stability (e.g. single leg squats, Swiss Ball exercises) or simulate the movements in running (e.g. alternate bicep curls/shoulder press rather than moving both arms at the same time).

Also, don't forget the power of plyometrics to improve strength and speed at the same time. Try some power squats or lunges for a starter but concentrate on your landings to avoid injury.

Have fun!