Options

rest days before a race

Hi,
If i've got a race on a sunday i normally rest on friday/saturday, is this what most people do, or is one day's rest enough?. Sorry for any spelling mistakes ,but i am trying to type this question while my to lovely boys [who are on their easter break, are trying to murder each over!]
Thanks, sapper

Comments

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi sapper,
    I tend to have one or two days rest before a race. It depends on the distance I'm racing really and what training I've done in the week. Sometimes it's good to have a short easy run the morning before the race.
  • Options
    sapper,
    I have been told not to run 2 days before an event (10k or more), but sometimes I do a 30 min easy on Saturday to losen up the muscles.
    Very similar to hilly!
  • Options
    TreadmillTreadmill ✭✭✭
    Hi Sapper,
    If the race is one I've been specifically targetting and hoping for a good time, I definitely run and feel better if I have at least 2 days rest. Maybe that's just me. Some people need to get the miles in, others do better with less more in intense training,
    DCD
  • Options
    Rest Friday. 3 miles very gentle on Saturday. Don't do any unusual physical activity on Saturday either (not that! I meant like digging the garden).
    JJ
  • Options
    My ideal is a rest Friday then 3-4 miles Saturday including 10 x 60 strides which is stretching your legs out to get them loosened then a good stretching session when you get home.
  • Options
    Usually rest on Saturday after an easy run on Friday, but if I have been targetting somthing specifically, will often take 2 days rest. Usually gentle swim or cycle on rest days.