Options

Cardiff marathon training.

So the date for the cardiff marathon as been announced,28th september(enter it please).I forged a plan at the end of feb,basically it was to train like hell in the hope of breaking 5 hrs at cardiff,my time last year was 5 hrs and 15 mins.My plan was this,to use the last 5 days of feb,march and april to build up a base of fitness use may to go a bit longer and then from june onwards add in some really long runs and some speedwork,its been going along nicely accept a nasty stomach bug threw the spanner in the works this week,but i have been doing about 20 miles a week since february and from tommorow i will be going a bit longer.I've also taken some inspiration from reading about jane tomlinson,hearing about paula radcliffes training and enjoying lance amstrongs autobiography.I might not have mentioned it but all of you who are free on the 28th of september,enter the cardiff marathon and give the organisers a chance,they might surprise you.talk to you soon.

Comments

• Options
    Good luck andrew
    When the organisers welcome slower runners, ill think about this
    This year the course looks MUCH better
    but--------------------I have my doubts as to the attitude towards back markers
  • Options
    how fast do you run,i ran it in 5 hrs 15 last year was only my first marathon and i enjoyed it.just checked the echo and the last runner it lists last year ran it in 6hrs 47 mins.
  • Options
    Andrew, you are putting a lot of effort and enthusiasm into this event. Why not contact the organisors and see if you can help them with promoting it. I'm sure they could do with some one with your hunger to see this event go well.
    Good luck with the training and see you in Sept.
  • Options
    I'm to busy with training and working.Last year my only criticsm was the promotion of the event to the general public to get them to support the event and cheer us on and as marathons do a lot to raise money for charity,the more people who support the event the more we get in our collectin tins.I only work 38 hrs a week but i start at 5 in the morning finish at 1,so i'm on about 4hrs a nite of sleep,so training is hard and the lack of sleep cant be doing my running any good,i'm desperate to break 5hrs this year,must go,bed soon.If any of you are from south wales,i could do with a training partner,been training for last 3 years on my own.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Why don't you join a club andrew? You don't have to go every week, but it does give you contacts to train with.
  • Options
    I did 5.59,08
    I made the cut off, but was still forced to put up with traffic, and no marshals, and no water

yes, im STILL angry
  • Options
    And i think at the time i was doing 80-90 hours a week work
    At least there is a half this year
    DO NOT DO THE MARATHON IF YOU CANT DO UNDER 5 HOURS