Options

Shin Splints and Tight Calves

Does anyone know how to ease the pain of shin splints? 

Plus I am constantly getting really stiff calves, I spend the first 5 mins slow jogging then stop and stretch but after a mile or two they start to feel stiff which suggests it's not to do with cooling down (although I probably should do more of this).  

I had my gait analysed when I bought my trainers and they were also more recently checked and confirmed to be the right shoes for me. Both problems, although have happened before, have only recently returned.

I have just entered my first half marathon in June and really need to start increasing my mileage but am slightly worried how I can do this if I can't treat the stiffness and shins.  

Are there any exercises anyone can recommend or other treatment for either problem?

Comments

• Options

I don't think shin splints ever go away completely?

If the pain is intense then IME you do need to ease back, run on softer surfaces (grass or treadie), run shorter distances, do some cross training and also do the whole RICE thing. Tight calves cause shin splints, and if it has got this bad then you do need some time out?

Exercises/treatment - I can highly recommend a few sessions with a physio for sorting out tight shins...

• Options
    I just replied to another thread on this.  I found acupuncture sorted mine out really well.
  • Options

Thanks, I started adding some heel drops and lifts last night, hopefully that will help. I think you are right Gladrags, not sure they ever go away, I have suffered on and off for years but this stint did seem to come on after my calves were feeling tight. Think a physio session is my next point of call, maybe some deep massage.

• Options
    Kate - yes - am off for some physio later myself. Think if you are biomechanically prone to tight calves then exercises, stretches, proper shoes and orthotics can help but not completely solve the problem? Deep massage (unpleasant though it is) seems the best way for me.....
  • Options
    All the above then maintenance with a foam roller ?