Options

Medoc - Medical Certificate

I have secured a place at the Marathon du Medoc.  The Organisers have requestd a Medical Certificate - Is this something particular to the French Athletes?  Is it sufficient to have a Doctors Signature on the Entry Form e-mailed by the organisers thereby certifying ones suitability to run?  It seems from the form that it would be difficult for the organisers to Verify the authenticity of a signature in this way?!!!!!!

Advice gratefully received

Comments

• Options

L-I

You need a letter from a medical professional (ideally your GP, but in truth as you say they don't authenticate them) which states that you are fit to run a marathon.

I've known people put these together themselves, but the key thing is that it needs to be on the headed note paper of the health professional, or have their stamp on the letter.

Some GPs will do this for free , as they see it as encouraging an active lifestyle. Others will charge up to £30.

Quick call to the most sports minded Dr in your GP practice should give you a pointer to what their policy is.

Bonne Chance!

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Yes, it is particular to French races - you have to be certified fit to compete for any race in France, even a 10k.  French club members are covered by some arrangement, anyone not a member of a French running club has to have a certificate.

This is usually just a letter from your GP stating that you are fit to compete in a running race.

I think that getting your doctor to sign the application form will do, judging from the wording on it.

I have a (dodgy) letter which I send with application forms - and no, they don't seem ever to check.

• Options
    BB ✭✭✭

Mr B had to have one for bike races in France - I think we downloaded one from the Paris mara thread and amended that. The doc did it for free, but he insisted on seeing him and checking his BP, listening to his heart etc. If you can't find one to download I have the blank we used - mail me and I'll send it

• Options

This is the link to the Paris Marathon medical certificate which I would think satisfies the requirement since it's required under the same law. I have read on here people who have had other formats rejected for Paris, Medoc may not be as picky. 

medical certificate

There's a whole other debate about how much GP's may charge, but if you are going to fake it, you might as well fake the proper thing.  My GP signed and stamped mine, and it was accepted, whereas people who have had headed letters from their surgery have been rejected (for Paris). I would take it along to your GP, if you're not happy with what he or she wants to charge then sign it yourself and mock up a stampy type logo and send it in.

• Options
    Maybe this is something that our governing body UKA should look into and get changed?
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

How could a British athletics organisation get changed something which is required by French law?

Imagine the response if the French Athletics governing body tried to insist on a change to British rules!

• Options
    Wouldn't they just surrender?
  • Options
    Err the French I mean, not the brave Brits
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I was thinking of the public's reaction rather than UKA's, Mr P. 

As for the French, I can well imaging THEIR reaction if UKA tried to say that they should change their law to suit the British image

And why should they?

• Options

Why indeed!

I bet they would at the very least have a three day general strike though, just so we got the message.