Options

Real jobs

13»

Comments

• Options
    V-rap - I didn't think of that, so I re-registered - you might see a posting from Credit Card - well that's my new other name (cos I just love small print). I'm not very technically minded - Word is about my limit.

SY3 / Credit Card

PS I'm definitely not an ambulance chaser. I promise I won't try to sell you a mortgage!!
  • Options
    Hilly
    Sounds reasonable.
  • Options
    I run postgrad programmes to Doctoral level in a conservatoire. Though I have own office, own computer and all mod cons, I am so busy at work that I have do my forum-ing in the dead of night in the comfort of my own abode! My colleagues have a difficult enough time getting their heads around the notion that an academic can be a committed runner.

DC

• Options
    Also the boss with own office. But my colleagues are taking an unhealthy interest in what's on my screen these days. I suspect I draw attention to myself by flipping to a work screen whenever someone comes in.

Well my reflexes aren't what they used to be...
  • Options
    Well I have to say I still think you're all mad :) But it would seem I'm the only virtuous academic - I never use the unlimited internet access at the University for "extra curricular" activities and all my forum visits have been from home - I've been on holiday and off sick lately so it's why I've been here in the day but usually ... only post either side of the work day. Or of course there is the flexibility of those "working from home" days :)

But to add to the others ... I share an office with 6 other lecturers ...with the screen on full view. I'd hazard a guess that the IT dept snoop on what we look at but I'm not sure - it's alot of students and staff to snoop at :)
  • Options
    Cath you goody two shoes. I do internet research and every so often my brain needs a time out and I find myself logging onto the RW forum. I also do freelance writing(mostly on running) so I find the forum useful.

I carefully chose the desk in the corner and from here I can see what the rest of the office is up to but they cannot see what I am doing.Dont know if that is a good thing!
  • Options
    I sit in an open plan office and rather wrongly my screen is on display to everyone and I'm the Payroll Manager with everyone's wages on my screen! I'm also the HR Systems Manager which involves developing the system and also rather oddly, compiling all the usful HR, benchmarking and management stats (which I'm sure everyone reads and makes use of). But anyway, we're being made redundant on 31/12/2002 (happy new year staff!) and so if they moan about the time spent on this forum they can go and er ........ whatever!

I also flick into another screen quickly and use the autohide, but I'm getting less fussed about it as the days tick on. Roll on 31 December and big lolly.
  • Options
    Yes, I actually do have a full time job as a Resource Manager. However, I have the added advantage of being the bosses partner (long term I might add....) We did the London marathon together a few years ago, and so he understands running, but as it seems he has long since given up the ghost, whilst I still run about 25 miles a week, he doesn't understand my need for running gossip. I tend to keep the forum open each day, and just browse when I have time, although like Waapster, I do tend to flick screens rather a lot, which is noted by staff. Mind you, what will they do, report me to the boss ? hee hee
  • Options
    I work for myself as a market researcher so I can go on and off when I want - as long as my husband's not here - we work together. Trouble is sometimes I'm so busy I can't surf for days and I miss all the best bits.

Drew, Dog Walker and Snoop - you are the naughtiest boys on the Forum - it's official
  • Options
    Not the boss, merely a humble Bean Counter, and certainly don't have own office, so mainly on lunchtimes or from home. Work for an athletics company tho so could always pass this off as 'raising my market awareness' if push came to shove.....
  • Options
    So how about getting them to sponsor the URWFRC or giving us discounts Slowboy?
  • Options
    I knew I'd regret mentioning that.
  • Options
    Sorry Slowboy, I was just using the "don't ask don't get idea"
  • Options
    No worries - I use that one all the time myself.
  • Options
    In work in an office with four other people two of them can easily see what I am up to and anyone coming in from the office behind have a direct view of my PC - so log on when I get, before anyone else is around and at lunchtime - and at home sometimes.

I need to have my daily fix - oh, and I work in the heady world of advertising!!

Whizzy
  • Options
    hi, i 'work' in the office and switch between applications...

I also work at home on a Weds..hoorah..

most of the people in my office spend a lot of time on the internet
  • Options
    All you hard workers make me feel almost guilty! I'm a household manager for my dear hubby, also do a bit of freelance personal training (so this is really working as i'm updating my knowledge!), and to help the empty coffers pay for all th erunning, i do a bit of writing and typing. Anyone want any thesis/manuscripts for great novels typing? Next books starring me are due out around Christmas!!
    (The Times book of short letters; National Poetry Selection)
  • Options
    Hi Whizzy

I used to work in advertising for Ogilvy and Mather and BMP as a planner. What are you and where do you work ?
  • Options
    DD

I work for Ten Alps RMA (used to be Osprey RMA)down in Hampshire - as Production Director - been doing it for 17 years - find running great to de-stress after meeting tight press deadlines

Whizzy
  • Options
    Production eh ? A nightmare - I'm not surprised you need to run. I don't think there's anything more stressing than trying to meet deadlines when you're dependent on other people doing their stuff too.
  • Options
    I work offshore and computer access out there tends to be for the chosen few only, those responsible enough not to go surfing for certain adult orientated sites. No-one believes that I just want to check up on ironing tips on a runners site.
    It gets better at home, once the kids are in school and the dog has been walked I just have to keep an ear out for the wife. She doesn't believe I am on here for tips either.
    I used to think these forum type things were for anoraks only, it is nice to see real people use them too.
  • Options
    No Sarcy1 - we're all anoraks.

• Options
    As a permanently unemployed layabout, I'm glad to hear that so many of you have jobs, and therefore pay taxes to keep me in luxury (ask any tory MP).
  • Options
    Any time buddy.
  • Options
    I'm jealous! Seems like I'm the only Forum reader who actually does work. I work for the U.S.Forces, there are about 250 of us in our offices, everyone has a PC and we're all joined in a huge LAN/WAN site and connected to the States too. The bosses crack the whip all day every day, we don't get a chance to surf and anyway the IT types are constantly monitoring web access. The Signal folks have also put a block on many web sites. So I can only surf from home, in the evenings or weekends. I'm nostalgic for the old days when I 'worked' for a huge national industry in London and actually did real work probably 2 hours per day - the rest spent in messing around on the computer.
    I envy you lot!
  • Options
    Sheila
    Join us when you can.. little changes.
  • Options
    Look at you all - clever, hard-working, professional - and there's me a full-time athlete training for the olympics!

Only kidding, I'm a student of course, making me one of the nations' most useful and dedicated individuals.
  • Options
    It's taken me an age to stumble across this thread...
    I work in a open plan office with 11 other consultants (that's the defence systems variety). To hear me chuckling away to myself (whilst reading the forum) is not unusual - they all think I'm mad anyway so just let me get on with it. Luckily the big boss is in an office about 100 miles away!!
  • Options
    I'm an IT Manager.
    Nuff said I think.
  • Options
    I'm a fundraiser for a large national charity so guilt prevents me from logging on too often at work - only lunchtimes and early mornings (although my screen does face away from the rest of the office so I can take a sneaky peak at other times....) no pc at home but working on it, mind you I'd probably end up posting all the time and not actually getting out to run at all....

ND :)