Options

how to improve?

Comments

• Options
    Hi there

I am so ill, have lost my voice so defo no running for me until better. God B & T something harder than a hm are you completely mad lol only joking you should go for it

xxxxx
  • Options

still thinking about it TBH jimma - wish I'd managed to get out more recently! I've run in very heavy frost before now, and it was lovely (several years ago). Have asked Santa for some good winter running gear, so I'll have no excuse!!

Lisa - hope you feel better soon - we've all been full of coughs / colds / bugs for weeks now - just hoping they finally clear up for Christmas!

• Options

hi everyone (its clare!!! sorry for name change!)

I can barely pidgeon step out there at the mo let alone running! and hae been too vusy for the gym *blush* i know i need to make time.hopefully this week.

hope everyone has a good week

Clare x

• Options

Belated Happy Christmas to you all!!!!!! Its very quiet on here - everyone recovering from Christmas excesses??!! Or preparing for New Year's excesses??!

Finally Christmas business has finished, children finally fit and well, I'm finally fit, and I actually went for a run today!!!!! (Well - had to try out the new Christmas gear!). Nearly killed me, went UP the muddy by-way (mud up to knees) but still enjoyed it - first run in 3 weeks!

So - is it too early to ask what everyone's running aspirations are for 2010? I *WILL* run a HM in 2010 - hopefully Forest of Dean in March. Still thinking about Slaughterford 9 ... but most of all, I aim to be still running this time next year.

What about everyone else??

• Options
    running....whats that?!?!?!imageimage
  • Options
    Mrs Keating wrote (see)
    running....whats that?!?!?!imageimage
    That's what my thighs were asking me as I tackled the last uphill bit across a windy field!
  • Options

Hi everyone,

I am still trying to run 3 times a week but not always succeeding due to weather.Last week end I set off along the towpath to do my 9 mile run but I soon discovered that parts of towpath were just ice from one side to the other with water on top just impossible to run on so I ended up just doing 3 miles walk and jog.Not much good but at least I got out.

I to am aiming for a HM IN 2010 B&T I plan to start my 12 week schedule next week for Forest of Dean where does the time go only 12 weeks already.Good luck if you decide on the slaughterford that will test your fitness.

How about everyone else what are your plans.

jimma image

• Options

i cant stand it - into week no 3 of snow and ice - all pavements are STILL covered in ice - its bloody hopeless, roads are even covered in ice. its just not possible to run and another week forcast....... good god by the time its thawed it will be like starting from scratch image

rubbish!

• Options

can you not do some treadmill running Rachel to keep running although I know I dont enjoy it the same as outdoors.

jimma image

• Options

Rachel - we're moaning about the cold down here - and its much colder up your way - not surprised you've not been out.

I finally got out after 3 weeks on Wednesday, and then again yesterday, but felt really creaky and it was really hard work (and very cold & muddy on wednesday, then cold and icy yesterday). I think I just need to build up slowly againto make sure I don't injure myself. So I've decided not to enter the Slaughterford 9 race, but to work on increasing distance for my HM!

There's always next year image

• Options

i guess i am going to have to go to the horrible gym and treadmill/dreadmill, its difficult with the odd shifts i work but i will get there! we have never known it so cold up here...global warming??!!

sounds like a good idea to not enter slaughterford, all too easy to get an injury, especially when its cold.

roll on spring!!

• Options

Good luck with the treadmill! Scary things!

I must admit, it is very pretty with all the frost around here. I think I preferred it to being too hot like we were last summer. Its just more difficult to get out of the front door. Oh - and at least its not raining!

Children go back to school tomorrow, so hopefully I will manage to get out for a run, in between taking Christmas decorations down, cleaning the house and doing some work!

• Options

Went out for a run today - icy on the roads, hard but okay in the fields - and it was even snowing just a little, so I feel "well 'ard" image

jimma - took to heart your comment that it was 12 weeks to Forest of Dean, so I have officially started my training. Found a 12 week HM schedule & started on Saturday. I've also been told it sells out fairly fast, so must put my money where my mouth is very soon!

Also found the Longleat 10k is on 7th Feb, so I might do that as well. Should fit in well with my training, and its supposed to be hilly so doubly good! (gulp)

Now then - where's all the snow we've forecasted for tonight?

• Options
    its bloody well up here!! i hate the snow and ice!!! crazy weather! x
  • Options
    Ah - here's our snow! Kids home from school (too snowy to get in), husband 'working' from home, glad I ran yesterday now!
  • Options

I am with you Rachel I hate this snow and ice just no use for running I am due to run tomorrow but I dont know where I will run may be up and down the stairs in the house.

Good luck with your HM schedule B&T I think you have made the right decision to give slaughterford a miss espicially in these weather conditions.

I will try to keep to my schedule but it is going to be tough with this weather due to last at least another 2 weeks.

all the best

jimma image

• Options

Just entered the Longleat 10k on 7th February. Hopefully I'll be able to get some training in before then??? Had some fresh snow last night, and its not as slippery as the icy snow we had underneath, so maybe I'll risk it later on today??

Also Mr. British Gas just fixed my boiler,so for the first time since Friday we have central heating and hot water. Yee hah!!!!

• Options
    Woo hoo - went out for a run today! Chose a road with a steep hill on, so not many cars would have gone up it. So snow wasn't too compacted & slippy, and only met the post man and two ladies out for a walk. Getting back down the hill was a whole different matter - I nearly went down on my backside - and could have done with a sledge! So finally managed my 10k for week 1 of my HM training schedule. Now for week 2 image
  • Options

Well done B&T keep at it you will get there.I did my 9 mile long run on sunday along the tow path.With the compact snow it was not too bad and with my gloves and hat on it was not too cold in fact the run went quite well.The only run I have problems with now is my Tues one which I have to do in the evening and with the condition of the pavements it is more of a walk jog rather than a run but it all helps.

Keep going hopefully the weather will improve.

jimma image

• Options
    Thank you jimma image
  • Options

Tues night another horrible night weather wise and another missed run,a mixture of sleet and snow with a strong chilly wind so I decided to give it a miss.I hope that one missed run per week at this stage wont make that much of a difference I will just have to make sure I go out on my other days regardless of the weather

Please bring back the hot weather I much prefere that any day.

jimma image

• Options
    Hi Guys

Happy New Year to you all. I havent been out for a run for over 3 weeks mow as I was ill the week before xmas the we had xmas and now a solid week of snow I am desperate to go out as hubby bought me a polar F7 for xmas so it needs to be used. I have been working out tho with my new fitness wii game lol.
    Will I be able to run still, what do you think???

Me
    xx
  • Options

Hi Lisa <waves> nice to see you again!

I had a break of just over 3 weeks in December (including Christmas!) and I managed to run again. Just take it steadily, chose a short route, and expect to ache afterwards!

I was thinking of going out again yesterday, but couldn't because my running stuff wasn't dry (What a feeble excuse!). Of course today, kit all dry, another 3 inches of snow on the ground and the kids have another snow day! sigh...

• Options
    Does igloo building count as cross training???
  • Options

Hi Lisa the only way to find out if you can still run is to get out there,good luck.

B&T I dont believe that you only have one set of running kit,no woman has only one set as you say what an excuse.By the way how many nights did you spend in the igloo !!!!!!

I did a 5 mile run along the towpath today some parts compact snow ok other parts slush and water not so good but another 5 miles completed.

jimma image

• Options

jimma - no nights in the igloo I'm afraid, but it was a very fine construction! And I *do* only have 1 pair of running trousers - my 3/4 length Ron Hills I bought when I first started. Great trousers, but I do get chilly ankles & shins! It was that or my shorts (don't think so!!)

You'll be glad to hear I got out again today ( trousers & trainers all nice & dry!!) . Just under 5 miles, hard going on the uphill, slidey bits and not much fun when a tractor drove past me, and pebble-dashed me with salty slush!

But it means if I get out again this week  I'm still on track with my schedule image Just worked out my 10k race is 3 weeks on Sunday (gulp!) so I do need to keep getting out. Maybe as a reward for completing it I should treat myself to another pair of trousers!!!

• Options

3M today - supposed to be 'easy' but still felt hard. Especially demoralising when 2 guys sprinted past me at high speed!

Just need to fit in another 6m on Sunday and I'm back on track with my HM schedule.  3 weeks on Sunday to my 10k race - gulp!

Snow's just about gone here, so no more snowy excuses for me -  how's everyone else?

• Options

I did another 5 mile run yesterday along the towpath in the slush,ice and water difficult conditions to run in but hopefully will be better on sunday for my long run.My trainers are soaked through,B&T does that mean I cant run again until they are dry.

When runners sprint past me I just think they are doing their speed work and that they could not keep it up for long seems to help me accept it easier.

Keep the HM schedule going B&T it all pays off in the end and dont get too up tight about your 10k its all part of your HM preparation.

Anyone else training for a HM soon.

jimma image

• Options
    jimma wrote (see)
    .My trainers are soaked through,B&T does that mean I cant run again until they are dry.

What a wuss! Oh course you can go out with wet trainers. Tusk tusk - must come up with a better excuse than that! Wet trousers are a *completely* different matter - might have got a chill on my kidneys if I wasn't careful (well - its what my Mum always used to say, so it must be true!)

I'm not too worried about the 10k (as long as I know I can run that far!) - it will be my first 'proper' big race so I'm hoping it will help me prepare for FoD in more ways than one. Still a little nervous about it (and will no doubt get very nervous in the next 3 weeks) but that's what's egtting me out running in the snow and ice, so it can't be all bad!

As jimma said - anyone else training for a HM? Or for anything in particular???

• Options

... wanders in .... has a quick dust ... checks to see if anyone's hiding in here ...

.. wonders if everyone is out running???

... wonders if jimma has gone down with some horrible illness due to running in wet trainers???