Options

Andre, The Fells beckon.....

As promised, here is a selection of fell races which you might be interested in.
June 4th (Weds) Calver Peak (5miles, start 19:30)
June 18th (Weds) Riber Run Matlock (5miles, 19:30)
June 19th (Thurs) Grindleford (4.5miles 19:30, brill race this one)
June 25th, Hope, 4miles 19:30.
June 27th, Tideswell, (4.5 miles) 19:45
June 29th (Sun)Pudding Race Bakewell (6.25 miles, 11:00)
July 7th (Friday) Hathersage (4.5 miles, 19:30)
July 16th Bamford (4.5miles) 19:30
July 17th Sheldon (Nr Bakewell) (4miles 19:30)
July 22nd Baslow 5miles (19:30)
There's loads more, as you can see they are mainly midweek but see what you can do, come oop north and have a laugh on the fells.

Comments

• Options
    Fiiona - thanks very much, there are loads of them!! The Calver Peak sounds good on the 4th June. I will need to check when I am away with work as it is going to get quite busy now that the Iraq crisis is settling down.
    I am not having much luck regarding your county championship race in Northants - I will check the web again and see what I can get.
    Can you have a laugh on the fells?!! It sounds like a hard style of running!!
  • Options
    Of course you can have a laugh! You need to be slighty nuts to do it in the first place.
    It can be hard but I am really crap at going down (oohh err missus) that I am not competitive and so only do the events for the laughs and the beers after.
  • Options
    If you have to be crazy then no probs, I think I qualify in that department - I must be considering I travel to Saudi frequently!! beers and laughs are also a great plus point!! I guess practice makes perfect on the subject of going down (finishing fells races I mean!)!
  • Options
    Back down to earth with a bang! Did a 10K last night and slipped back with a 40.58 time. Again it felt really hard, no life in the lungs and legs quite heavy and to top it off my ankle is killing this morning! I think I have tried too quick a pace too soon after the FLM.
    Also sponsorship money is not coming in as quickly as I had hoped - it is a marathon challenge getting the money in!
    Anyway moan over now!
  • Options
    I sympathise with your feelings Andre. I was not at work yesterday, and usually I would do a longish run, but felt tired and heavy legged too. Ended up run/walking with the dog, which was nice as it was a lovely morning. Have just decided to enter a local 10K on Sat 10th May, bet I'll end up doing something like 44mins the way I feel!
    Actually my sponsorship is nearly all in. This is the first (and only) time in over 20 years of running that I have raised sponsorship and it certainly is hard work. This bit where one needs to go and ask for the cash is hard. Only got 3 more people to badger then that's it. The remaining 3 or 4 are a dead loss so I may not bother. It makes me cross that folk promise cash and then are funny about giving it. Hey, you reap what you sow....Got around 800 pound for Breast Cancer so pleased with that it's much more that I thought I'd get. What do you think you'll get for Heart?
    Andre: we are only virtual mates, so you can moan to me, I don't get annoyed by it, I understand....
  • Options
    Thanks for your message! Should get £1,600 for the British Heart Foundation - quite a few people doubled their pledge's if I were to go under 3.30 so that has helped a bit. As you said one would hope that people would actually be quite forthcoming in handing the money over especially after the months of training etc. - very frustrating.
    Had a bad day yesterday - ankle still sore so no running, Tunisian customer promised me money yesterday so I released goods and now there is no payment!!!! Had big argument with fiancee re running and tennis commitments and then had to move all of my stuff from my old house into my car (very small) and my fiancee's back garden!! a lot of the stuff is now ruined due to rain and her house is so small there is no way it can all fit in!!!!!!!!!!! Off to the tip tonight - joy!!
    Apart from all that I am in a really good mood!
  • Options
    Things will get better. Including the weather! Im going to a works BBQ staright after work today. I can see they are erecting a huge marquee in the car park just now! Perhaps you could use it to store your stuff in it!
    Partners are odd. I met mine through running, and we used to train and sometimes race together. Perfect I thought. Until he started climbing and gave up running. ( How could he?) And then we had a child and were forced to do things separately... but on the whole things are getting a little easier or so I thought until Sunday's argument.
    When is the big day? Will it happen in Derbyshire or somewhere with better weather?
  • Options
    It is funny as I spent quite a few years with no serious relationships and the freedom to do what I wanted - tennis nearly every night and the weekends and then when I did the marathon in 2000 I did running and on my rest days played tennis - joy! No compromise or feeling guilty etc. When you live with someone it all changes! If I run I can't play tennis etc.! I know it is selfish but they are both things I love doing and I cannot imagine life without them. My fiancee was brilliant during my training and really supportive, things have changed now!
    Anyway - the big day is in August and at Market Bosworth, really nice venue.
    I think runners can be selfish people - I don't mean that in a bad way - to do a marathon in a reasonable time you need to be disciplined and focused (I do anyway) and that basically involves being very self centred and concerned for you and what you need to do - sounds terrible and is probably not right.
  • Options
    It is right, I agree wholeheartedly. I think running is about THE most selfish sport there is. I was a pro cyclist for a time and even in that sport you can give team mates a break by letting them draft you etc, but with running it's you and you alone. Especially marathon training, what with the distances that need to be covered. I often think about Paula Radcliffe, how lucky (!) she is that her husband is her coach, it is both of their's job to get her as fit as poss. Now that would be cool.
    Being in a normal partnership like yours and mine does mean compromises though inevitably. I am lucky in that I can do much of my training at lunchtimes so it doesn't impinge on the "family", so that's why I was annoyed that he got cross when I went out on Sunday; that's the only time I take out of "our" time really...
    Must admit he was great with the marathon training and brilliant on the day. It's just that I want it all I guess. And I want it all NOW!
    You obviously love your fiancee and want to marry her, so you will need to accept that compromises are required in order to achieve harmony and happiness. I know of one guy who's realtionship has ended mainly due to his running commitments, so now he's as fit as a butchers dog and running brilliantly. But I know he'd have his woman back......even if it meant he'd hardly run at all. Having said that, running is what I am, it's at the very core of my being. Even when I feel like s**t (like now) I still love it. I love being thin and fit and being able to run a marathon, the guys I work with, all in their twenties, are in awe of me.....
    Are we getting philosophical Andre!
  • Options
    I reckon so! It is very addictive and in a vain sort of way I also like not carrying any excess weight and feeling good.
    I would love to have my cake and eat it to but I would not change the relationship I am in etc. The thought of being alone again is not very appealing (although at times I wouldn't mind some extra freedom!) and life goes on - we want a family etc and I cannot go through life playing tennis and running as if they are the only things in life that matter. They are very important and if I can keep them ticking over then great.
    Basically it is all about growing up!! Something I find quite hard to do even though I do have a very responsible job for someone of my age.
    Do you argue much?
  • Options
    We hardly ever argue, which is why the one on Sunday upset me so much. We talked about it and I understand why it happened. I am lucky to have agood marriage. It is my second and last one!
    I have an 8 year old daughter, and that has meant that we have tended to do things separately, taking it in turns to look after her. This has lead to me carrying on with running, and he has concentrated on climbing. We would loive to do things together which would solve the "problems" but accept that having a family just dilutes things, but it is only for a while. We both envisage that when she is grown up, or at least finished school, we will move to France and work together. I feel that I like him enough to be able to spend most of my time with him, and there's no one else, including my daughter, that I can say that about, so "we" must be right for each other.
    Running and Tennis do matter and are important, but as you say it's about being mature and compromising in order to have all that you want. You can be responsible when you need to be, and act like a kid when appropriate. I am in my forties now but never feel like it, and when I meet people of my age or even younger and they seem so OLD, makes me feel good. You know, sometimes I take my moutain bike and go off road for a day and come home all muddy, and having had a great day, falling off, bunny hopping, splashing though rivers, and I am just like a kid! My daughter is proud to have a fit Mum, she does fun runs when I do half marathons etc, and I can drag the toboggan up the hill faster and more frequently that the other Mums and Dads when the snows come so that's a big advantage!
    What I would like is to train for something really big, like the Marathon des Sables or something like that. Now THAT would be selfish!
  • Options
    Funny you should mention the Marathon des Sables - the ultimate in races as far as I am concerned! I saw a little of it a few years ago on Transworld Sport and thought wow! I have a real thing about the desert and running through it would be awesome. On one of my trips last year we went to Dubai and then to OZ and into the Outback - fantastic experience. How much training would you need to do to complete the M des Sables? A hell of a lot I guess!
    Having spent many holidays in Provence and surrounding areas I would love to buy a gite down there - always been a dream.
    Did your first marriage finish due to different interests i.e running etc? Sorry to be so nosey - you do not have to answer.
  • Options
    It's Ok. Me and husband#1 just got married too young (20) and grew up into different people and no longer liked each other. He was a runner too but hated the fact I was quicker than him!
    So. MDS. Do we have a team then? :-)) We would have to get used to running slower....
    Yup. Provence it is. Haute Provence. Mountains yet not too far from the sea. And the weather! And the wine, and the olives and....
    Lets go!
  • Options
    What a wonderful place it is. I went on a business trip a few years ago when I looked after France and spent a few days in Menton and then had a night in a hotel in the middle of Provence - it was sheer paradise - wine tasting, fine food and great weather!
    MDS - This is something I would build up to do no joke. What time of year is it? At current fitness it would take a year to train up I reckon for the distances involved and temperatures?
  • Options
    It's March/April time. 6 days. Look at http://www.saharamarathon.co.uk/
    I am semi serious about it. We can discuss....
  • Options
    I will check the site out now - exciting! I hope you had a good work out this lunch time.
  • Options
    The work out was rubbish. I felt so strange, nearly fell off the exercise bike just warming up!
    Nipped out for a run but I'm too tired. Doing a club run tomorrow evening so nothing now till then.
    I am going to have to leave this forum for the afternoon, I HAVE to get some work done. Chat tomorrow? THat MDS web site is interesting. Got to raise £2000 to enter though...
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about the work out. £2000 is quite a lot really especially so soon after the FLM - I have tapped most of the people I possibly could.
    Work - yes I need to get some done even though most of my work is done from laptop and phone so am online all the time!
    Have fun! I will be here tomorrow. Hopeing to go out for a run tonight - see how the land lies first!!
    Bon soir ou bon fin d'apres midi!
  • Options
    Fiiona - how are things? I hope that your weekend was good.
    I have a slight ankle injury but have decided to enter for the FLM next year and have printed off the sub 3.15 schedule.
    Tennis is taking a back seat (after a huge argument on Friday) and so I have decided to keep the running going quite seriously now. If I don't get into the FLM next year then I will try another one and will aim to do sub 3.15 - 30 seconds a mile quicker than this year!!!
  • Options
    Fiiona - long time no hear - I hope that all is well. I am currently in Chicago and have found a minute to check e-mails and surf! I have been injured for the past 2 weeks and my ankle is not looking like getting better in a hurry. I missed the Chicago 10K which annoyed me.
    Anyway hope things are well.
    I may not log in until tomorrow now.
    Bye