Options

Thames 10K - Wed 8 July

Just noticed this one appear in Events.

Basildon Park is in Pangbourne, a few miles from Reading, and quite a nice location for a summer evening midweek 10K.

Will aim to enter.

Comments

• Options
    looks like a lovely location - i wonder how many will enter? i'm looking to persuade my son to do his first race but i think he'd prefer to be lost in a bit of a crowd!
  • Options
    I don't think this is in Basildon park. I think it is in Beale Park, although it is only about a 1/4 of a mile apart!
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Yup, I've spotted this one. Within cycling range of Muttley Towers so there's a good chance I'll be there.
  • Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

lol image 

Muttley - I rcvd the e-mail yesterday about this one & was going to forward it on to you....but I see you have sniffed this one out already. Might see you there image 

• Options
    I got the email today..do people think that this one will be any good? Route looks interesting, though quite a lot of the course is run twice...
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Ah hah, just on this occasion I was a little ahead of you, Mr K image

I'm in for this one.

• Options

Looking forward to this one, Beale Park is a wildlife park so bringing the family along, Watch out for the random animals image

• Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

image I will not be running this one with you - pulled out yesterday, hopefully airing on the side of caution rather than anything else but do not want to risk anything....may come over and watch / support you from the sidelines thou.

Hopefully it will be cooler next week for you all.

• Options
    I hope so Mr K or I'll be so slow I will probably get locked in the park with the animals!
    Tried running earlier but just too hot!
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Mr K, that does not sound good. Nothing serious or catching, I hope?
  • Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Muttley - Hopefully nothing major. I have strained one or a couple of my tendons (Extensor digitroum or hallucis longus tendons thingies - connecting the toes to the lower shin area) probably at the Munro but was masked by the `quad lock`, then raced the wednesday night afterwards, then ran a 5Km on Sat. They really were complained during the Sam`s run. I`ve pulled out of three races (this being the third).

I think my body said "Enough, now rest up"

Hopefully I`ll be back for the New Forest 10 next Sunday - wont rush back. Am looking to be fully fit for the half at the end of the month. 

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Listen to your body, they say ... mine told me it didn't even want to run for a week after the Munro, let alone race! None of us are getting younger so let's hope this is a minor strain that will go away of its own accord.

Good luck with the recovery - still on for the Down Tow?

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I note from the race programme that the start is at 7:30 and the awards to the winners are at 8.

I'm sure I'll get round in time to watch the ceremony image

• Options

Its going to be a quick course had a bash on Saturday but not 30 minutes quick

Be careful along the river its a bit uneven

• Options
    Dean Oram wrote (see)

Looking forward to this one, Beale Park is a wildlife park so bringing the family along, Watch out for the random animals image

And the "deposits" they leave everywhere  image

• Options
    Am i missing something with this event?   On the RW website it says 7.00pm start and entries taken  on the day.  If you follow the link through to the event website it says 7.30pm start and entries now closed!  image
  • Options
    From what I gather its sold out and the race starts at 7.30
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Well spotted, LWJ. I've emailed the organizers to ask them about the start time. Will post on this thread if they don't themselves (I included the link in my email).
  • Options
    I checked with the organisers  - got a message back that it was still possible to enter on the day. The website says otherwise though.   
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Organisers mailed back to say that the start time is deffo 7:30.
  • Options
    Fleet GirlFleet Girl ✭✭✭

Ok so I am bottling out of this one. I just don't think I can run 10k right now and also doubt I will manage to get there on time.

Do I just send the chip back?

• Options
    Fleet Girl

Just seen your post,are you injured?Note the start time of 7.30pm if that helps.

If not then you need to post your chip back in the pre-paid addressed envelope it came in.

Muttley,

Many thanks.Still better this way around as if people arrive thinking its a 7pm start at least they only have to wait half an hour!!
  • Options
    Fleet GirlFleet Girl ✭✭✭

Hi susiebe.  Not injured - just not on top form.  I did a 5k (sam run) a couple of weeks ago and REALLY struggled badly.  So the thought of trying to run a 10k is terrifying.   I keep talking myself in and out of it but would so hate to not finish.

• Options
    Fleet Girl

I'm sorry to hear that.You've done a 10k before though,haven't you?I'm not very fast,did 5k tonight and still taking me 33.44 mins..I have improved and would love a pb(67 mins) but will need to run a great race to get that!!

Hope to still see you...

Good luck,we all I think have times where it seems a bit of a struggle,sure it'll get better for you soon..
  • Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Enjoy your race tonight. image

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I did, Mr K, thank you! That was a nice enough evening out, but no kit tent and five portaloos for a field of 500-odd plus spectators and hangers-on. But otherwise a pretty decent first go. Course was scenic, traffic-free and pretty flat, and pb potential was held back only by some uneven footing along by the river. I did a decent time by my standards lately - 48 mins exact by my watch.

I cycled over from Caversham. Jeez, the traffic on the Oxford Road and then the A329 up Purley Rise and through Pangbourne takes no prisoners. On the return journey I took the train back from Pangbourne, too dangerous to cycle that road at dusk.

• Options
    Aim to enter this but have to wait for pay day as low on funds at the moment. It's in Beale Park, may be a good race.
  • Options
    To Dean Oram, Beale Park closes at 5pm if I am correct so it will be shut by the time the race starts. I think they will be doing this race outside the park premises, they do the boat race there and craft fair, you turn left into the field instead of going to the park itself.
  • Options

Cheers acdcgirl, this thread is from last year though image

Was looking forward to doing this again this year, However a) its on a world cup semi final day and b) my calf went pop yesterday and I cant even walk!

Oh yeah the race does indeed go through a bit of the park - Very enjoyable race it was too. Would recommend