Options

Newcastle Marathon

Comments

• Options

I found the wind a real struggle from lap 2 onwards and was slower than I'd hoped, but I won the race by a fair margin so I'll take that.

The marshalls were great, especially Mick. Shame it took such a long time to do the presentation though. I'd been finished over an hour and a half and was starting to get the shakes. Had to abandon the idea of the pub in favour of coming straight home. Kudos to those who managed a few pints afterwards!

• Options

Congratulations on that first place CC2. And Andy for getting first man home, also by a good margin. Well done everyone!

I'd imagine most people were a bit slower than they'd have liked. In better conditions it's probably got PB potential.

The wind wasn't quite as bad as forecast, although the occasional gust sent some of our cups with water in flying.

I hope nobody wondered who that crazy old man shouting at them was as they passed the water station image

• Options

Oh that's brilliant news!!

Well done to you CC2 and to Andy for your firs places! Absolutely fantastic!! imageimageimageimage

• Options
    Hope I'm not teaching my granny to suck eggs, but not everyone may be aware that some race reports from today's race may be posted on the Great North Run 2010 thread rather than here.
  • Options
    Yep I had checked there too, but thanks Graham.
  • Options
    Well organised and enjoyable race (apart from the wind) - many thanks to Graham and all other marshals, water station folk etc who gave up their time to make it fun. It would be great if this became a regular fixture.

5th place for me I think but didn't have a watch so not sure of the time. Are the results up anywhere?
  • Options

Hi Folks!

Am officially worn out, but have managed to get my race report done:

http://www.realbuzz.com/blogs/u/aminita/vicki-graceless-whippet/

• Options

Despite plenty of physiotherapy over the last 3 weeks the calf couldn't last more than the first lap which was very annoying given the big miles I've been putting in.

It's true that the hardest part of the marathon is getting to the start line.

Enough grizzling though. A great event with good organisation and superb support near the bandstand. I'm definitely coming back next year but with more sensible preparation.

I'm ashamed to say I was in Al Basha on the Bigg Market having a nice Lebanese lunch while you all were still struggling into the wind...

• Options

Bloody well done everyone, you all did fantastic, especially in that wind. I was knackered with just the little bit running I did between marshalling/supporting points.

I was very proud of our CC2 and Andy.

Enjoy your recovery everyone, you really deserve it.

Great day. Well done image

• Options

Lurcher Man - was it your hamstring? Saw a guy walking back during 1st lap saying his hamstring had gone. Really sorry anyway.

CC2 and Andy - CONGRATULATIONS!!! Was great watching you both zooming round image

Not the greatest performance from myself but still happy enough overall. Had a good time running the first half and a bit with Mick then couldn't keep up and just slowed up more and more really... classic case of starting far too fast! So I finished in 4.06 which I think I put down as my 'realistic time', turned out to be very accurate image Suffered in the wind (and rain when that started half way through my lap 4 - I nearly cried, it was definitely the low point for me!) and also horrid big blister on my right foot for some reason, grr.

Lovely to meet some of you and sorry I had to zoom off at the end. 

CC2 - what time did you do? What did 2nd and 3rd ladies do? 

What time did Andy do?

Looking forward to hearing how everyone else did!

• Options

Ooh, and congrats on 5th place Poacher, fab! I probably saw you...

Anyone know when the results are up? Looking forward to my top 100 finish (pos even top 50?!) image Haha. 

• Options
    Not sure when the results are up. Andy finished in exactly 3 hours, but don't know CC2's.
  • Options

Tutu much

hope it went well for you today    I am now in training for the spen 20   and Bradford mararthon in October 2010

• Options

Mine was 3.30.57. I believe 2nd lady was around 3.45. No idea about 3rd though.

Well done for hanging in there Tutu, you were only a few mins behind Mick so you can't have slowed that badly. It just feels that way at the end of a marathon!

• Options

CC2 - congrats, that is a fab time. Yes I think I only finished 6 mins behind Mick but felt like he was miles ahead! Wow, 15 mins between you and 2nd lady, amazing! Just think, if my 3.45 training went to plan I could have been in with a shot of a prize, darn! Silly to think like that though. Was a tough day for everyone. Were there (m)any PBs does anyone know? Well done Vicki on your first marathon, what a tough one it was! Just realised I forgot to read your report so will go read it now image

Just got an email from George with the results but can't open them... I use openoffice but can view Word docs fine usually, I don't know what 'docx' is - can anyone save it for me as a regular word doc and email it to me at eleanor5446@hotmail.com possibly? Pretty please?! Thanks!!

Lovely to meet both Jim and George on the way round by the way, top job on a great race there guys!

• Options
    Oh and I have just looked through my splits on my Garmin and yes, I really did slow a LOT! Didn't do a mile over 9 mins until mile 14  then only got 1 mile under 9 between then and the end, and even had two 11.xx miles in there, yikes! image Oh well. image
  • Options
    I bet those two 11 m/m splits were on that grassy hill, was bloody awful
  • Options

Ignore my plea - just downloaded Word Viewer so I'm in! Dead chuffed to be 7th lady image

That hill WAS awful Vicki I know, but actually both 11 mm splits were in the last lap so can't even blame the hill! In my misery at the start of the 5th lap I promised myself that if I hadn't got some magic 2nd wind by the hill I would let myself walk up it... got there, started walking and realised it was just as painful, if not more so, to walk, so had to run it anyway, argh! But pleased I did.

Silly question but did anyone else have a problem with their number ripping off their safety pins in the wind? It happened about 5 times to me... 2 safety pins ripped so I kept having to stop to re-pin one of them for fear that the whole thing would be blown clean off me in one of the exposed parts...

• Options
    Didn't have a problem with saftey pins myself, I have four on, and it number didn't shift.  Thought I might be blown away when we truned back into the wind heading south on the moor though
  • Options
    Maybe it was just me.. my bra was rubbing (despite a ton of vaseline, grr!) so I was probably prodding around in that area more than I should have been!!!!
  • Options

Blimey, I've just seen the results. I was 15th overall and second M50. Not bad for a fat old bloke image

I wonder if that means I'm in danger of having won a prize, that would be a first.

• Options

Congrats Ian! Yes you must have, I think it was 3 prizes in each category.... means *most* of the 21 ladies who finished must have won one!!! I'll have to come and run this again when I'm a vet image

On that note - who's up for it again then? I've not decided yet. Really enjoyed it overall but probably won't, just because I like to try new ones.  But, the more I think about it, the more I did like the small number of runners despite feeling extremely lonely at points. As somebody pointed out, we should be used to it from all our long training runs by ourselves so I don't know why I struggle so much with that aspect of it. 

The stupidly huge blister on my right foot is keeping me awake! It hurts SO much, I don't get why! Have bathed it carefully, re-applied savlon spray, dressed it and even taken painkillers but it's still stinging image Why oh why oh why do these things happen to me on race day (same happened at Paris 08) and never in training?! By mile bl**dy 7 it was already there, I MEAN!!!!!! Grrrr. image 

• Options

Vicki - forgot to say I enjoyed your race report. Was that Tony chap in a blue t-shirt, dark hair, by any chance? Probably a longshot but I met a friendly guy in the first lap whose 1st marathon it was and was going for about 4hrs, had done 2.53 for 20 miles in training (or a 20 mile race?) which I was impressed with.  Anyway, you did so well! Didn't realise you also won a prize - fantastic, well done! And didn't realise all that weightloss stuff, my word lady you've done well! My clubfriend Helen has a very similar story and actually had a whole page in RW on her about 18 months ago. Amazing what running can do for you. Full of admiration for you! (and quite jealous of your pbs too!)

What were the prizes by the way? I saw a few trophies on the table and they looked very nice, was there cash/vouchers as well? 

Might have another go at sleeping soon. I think the other problem is getting my mind to settle, I've still got images of that great field we spent most of the day running round going round, and round my head image Forgot how long it takes me to mentally get over a marathon as well as physically! So glad I can have a few weeks rest before starting London training. 

Sorry for basically talking to myself.... bit bored... ages since I've been up at this time in the morning... dum de dum!

• Options

lol Tutu  I was up again at 3:30 too, but didn't want to get suckered into the forum nightshift image

Tony was the guy in the green Wallsend Harriers Vest - I think my sis got a pic at the finish, so I'll try and post one when I get them from her.

Ian - you did get a prize - it's a nice wooden trophy which will go well on your mantle piece image

I think George was gonna send them out in the post to anyone who wasnt there to collect.

• Options

Thanks Vicki. Wow, a trophy. I'll need to build a cabinet for it image

Tutu, I know what you mean about foot damage. It's odd that you can run long distances in training with no  bother, but races seem to have a different effect. My right big toe looks like it has been hit with a hammer. That was from Amsterdam, but yesterday it was fine. same shoes for both. Just odd. Hopefully, a few days will see your blister settle down.

I rather fancy this again next year. There isn't anything else of this distance at this time of year....and I can wlak home afterwards, hooray image

• Options

Not suprised that people had problems with their feet yesterday - it should have been billed as "the Town Moor marathon, test your skills on some of the worst paths & pavements known to man"

The off road trail bits had stones the size of beef tomatoes on there image

Not to mention all the cow crap

• Options

hello

ooh that was tough

yes, my shoes STINK today

I thought ther were no cows on the moor-so wherd di all that crap come from

Well done everyone

• Options

The cows stay on the moor till the middle of November

Thats why it looked so fresh image

• Options

Well that was a little bit different to London,Paris,Berlin, Dublin etc etc  image.

I didn't mind the multiple laps at all, and to be honest even though I ran on my own throughout the race was ok with that too.