Options

IM South Africa Race Report 09

South Africa 2009 Race Report

OK basic Stats 11903 Calories 13hours 1 minute About 30 minute slower than I expected and and hour slower than I hoped

So what happened , a good trip down arriving Weds before the race No jet lag but a bit cramped up it was very windy when we arrived , Jan had abandoned the idea of her tri spokes in favour of training wheels in case the race was windy.

Usual fun at registration , lots of cheap M dot branded stuff and kit to buy BUT no hammer nutrition , they had a stand but NO product . Managed to get a local Bike store to drop it off at our hotel , we have trained with perpetuem and like the fact it is easy on the stomach

Race day dawned , the forecast was it could get very hot so us brits were expecting a tough day , Not a cloud in the sky , NO wind , you couldn’t see the sea at 4.30 am but it would be perfect , 800 m stroll to transition and we start to prep and rack the bikes. Jan does her usual faffing and we are running a few minutes late so get a helper to drop our swim bags into the lorry .

Suited up we joined the throng on the beach , sun is rising and the sea is still calm , African dancers giving it stacks on the beach and the anthem blessing etc as the clock counts down, I cant remember much pre race I am just thinking about getting a good spot in the swim and relaxing 3 mins to go I start my stopwatch

Then the Klaxon , It’s a beach start so lots of legs flying around as people dive into the surf , try not to get kicked and stay calm only 450m to first bouy then left turn and head for the cranes. The first Bouy is MAYHEM as usual , just keep swimming and sight after 10 strokes ( this is the best sighting swim I have done it has high landmarks on all but the first turn) a few kicks and punches and it all starts to calm down … great now just swim easy

Second turn , then third and head back towards start line its always nice to hear the music you know you are close to end of lap one … I decide to walk up beach and round onto second lap no need to get heart rate up now , hit sand after first lap in 34 minutes and change second lap is always nice find some feet and try to stay on course waves are picking up a bit now but nothing dramatic and hit the beach in 1.14 …. Walk up beach to shower and strip off wetsuit Ok not quick but OK now for the bike .

Took time in transition ,decided on full sleeved top on bike ( something new for race day ) which meant more faffing trying to get it on under pirate Kit of course it went on back to front to start

Walked bike to start line then put  shoes on and off we go … the bike course is pretty flat, you  drag up hill 1-3% for about 8K then a shorter little hill 10%  then undulating all the way back to town , the scenery next to the coast is spectacular the roads a bit bumpy but have improved from last years race , its 3 laps with only about 6 turns so not exactly technical.

The crowds through town are great and on the hills the voulenteers do a great job but One aid station runs out of Isotonic 

Its great fun yes marshalled but you can chat they just whistle and move you over if you are blocking , my training has gone OK for the race and my bike set up is less aero but more comfortable , 1st lap 1hr 55 2nd Lap 1.58 and last Lap 2.15 not bad but it was VERY VERY HOT I cramped on the last lap inner thighs so just try to keep spinning, back off the speed and try to keep something for what I may jokingly call a run

Bike computers were showing 40 degrees on the last lap I was no very grateful I had covered up and used sun block I had used all my salt tabs and my kit was white

Comments

• Options

Into T2 helpers grab the bike I try to smile … only 42.2 km left now , I have worked hard at the run doing at 5 3 hour runs before this race and averaging 35 miles per week  but I know it is not my strongest discipline, so off we go , I hope to run at 6mins per km and walk the  2 hills on the loop , 4 hours 30 min target … no problem

The crowds are great on the run with only about 4 km up through the university where it is a bit lonely. Keep running this is all about keeping going 5 Km no stops ok feel OK don’t go faster iit will come back and bite you it is still warm but the sea breeze drops temps to about 27c , I can see some cloud now and humidity is rising 8k in first hill and walk up it towards the university start to run again at the top and a sniper in the bushes shot my Achilles (well that’s what it felt like, stopped immediately try to walk …. Ouch , step , ouch ,step ouch etc not good OK I have loads of time I can crawl it and still finish , reach next aid station to see if I can get strapped up , no chance, so back to the ouch step routine , keep this up till I am back into town where I blag some ibuprofen and keep going , not thinking about time now just keep going its getting cloudier and more humid and the wind is starting to pick up after about half an hour the pain drops a bit and I can jog a bit but its painfully slow ( note to self ALWAYS put medication in your special needs bag!!)

21 Km in just half mara left and it is getting very very windy and dark keep going lightening is all across the sky , very pretty keep going into town and start my last lap it is now so windy it is difficult to stand just as I passed the transition area the winds had reached 50 mph , the storm was in full flow and the marquis which held 1500 people and the med tent was picked up and blown virtually into the ocean it is almost un raceable, but just got to keep going, I recon about 1 hour 20 for last 10k so should be close to 13 hours. I put my sunglasses on even though it is dark to keep the debris out of my eyes , put my head down and keep going . Last 5 k I could go under  13 hours try to pick up pace but my leg is having none of it so just accept I will finish when I finish. I am amazed as I get into town we still have spectators (hardy lot these saffa’s ) and of course its always a lift as you hit the finishing chute , get big cheer for being a world famous pirate, let someone who is desperate to beat me go past and jog over the line 13.01 lots of work for 13.01 B******cks

Try to find kit but it was of course in the tent that blew away , so walked back to hotel and had shower and cup of tea , I had seen Jan and knew she was in decent shape so  I was just going to wait for her to come back into town reckoned she would do about 15 hours so time to try to get sorted and cheer a few more people

Overall a bit gutted by the time but that’s IM racing , you get what you get , I was better prepped than before just had a tough day , makes up for blagging the last few

Organisation and support !!! WOW the race organisers the volunteers did a great job in very tough conditions , I was amazed by the support and although South Africa has some issues ( yes we did visit townships) but  it is a great place to visit and race … we hope to be back in 2011 for another crack at it

• Options
    Good effort matey , makes me wonder what with Holgs at DE and others how many of the IM races will see the black and yellow this year ?
  • Options
    nice one Slummo, how's the achilles?
  • Options
    good efforts Slummo and Jan - another one ticked off (even of you did it last year as well).......

• Options
    Pebble 2Pebble 2 ✭✭✭
    Same here Slummo, Jan. Good effort on a tough day
  • Options
    well done! Heard from friends there that loads of people were pulling out during bike and run due to heat and wind and that times were way slower than what they wanted. You did great!image
  • Options
    Good jawb Slummo,  look after that achilles or it will come back and bite you on the arse

Did Jan have a good race??
  • Options
    Wow Slummo that sounds like about 3 different races in one! Hope Jan had a good race and that your achilles is ok. That gunshot thing sounded scary - might you have torn it?
  • Options
    sympathies on the achillies (mine are throbbing at the mo') and thanks for sharing- recover well, the both of you.
  • Options

Jan did 15 .15 which was an hour quicker than last year , most of that was taken out of the run where she got her salts sorted and made good progress for 2 laps.

She has a mortons neuroma (we think) and a groin strain / stress fracture so is going for MRI scan and had an x ray this week , she has 12 weeks to get sorteed so is concerned about IM CH

We biked 40 mile last night no problems but running is a huge issue

If she needs an op for the neuroma she is likely to be pretty grumpy image

We have signed for IM western australia so she should be sorthed for that in December

As for my Calf /achilles it si still a little tight , done some treadmill work (40 minutes and am making progress) I have also tried compression socks which help

• Options
    compression socks?? tart.... HTFU

• Options
    Great read Slummo.  Thank you. image
  • Options

Well done Slummo + Jan. Sounds like it was really tough with the heat and the wind.

...but compression socks!!! - Hope they are black and yellow lycra ones.

• Options
    I do confess to looking a tart in compression socks but will be happy if they work .... first impressions are that they do help
  • Options
    I think you would just be happy looking like a tart   image
  • Options

well done buddy, will be round for a catch up and brew in the next few weeks and even a ride if you are up for it round delamere for a few hours.

Superb race report and will defo have to join you one of these years, my only time in SA was for a golf tournament at Sun City and its not what you could call 'African' more like a mini vegas with 4 hotels and a couple fo golf courses.

Well done to both of you and more for the mental strength to just get on with it.

• Options
    Compression socks way to go cover yourself in lycra dude , did I mention I got waxed this week!
  • Options
    is that something you really want to mention?
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Eccentric - you'll never beat your brother in the poncery stakes even with waxing image

great report Slummo - it sounded tough - well done to you and Jan
  • Options

Debbo what are you saying !! image

I would like to point out tyhere are no races for weeks so eccentrics waxing is pure vanity !!

Rosey would be great to see you all pop round anytime hope kelly and Teya are doing well

• Options
    Err I have a half IM in 4 weeks thank you image
  • Options
    if you're doing Marshman imecc - as I suspect - we'll see you there!
  • Options

I have the kids that weekend , Lindi is going to back to back mm and beaver (nutter) which im also racing will probably bring the herbs to watch , are you and petal both racing ?

• Options
    aye - we are, although I wouldn't call it "racing"! - plus mellifera and dermot
  • Options
    nothing wrong with waxing - its what real men do!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Sorry forgot to say, well done Slummo good race.
  • Options

Cheers Doozer , tough race ... not good , I really want to get back to 12.10 speed of a few years ago, preferably sub 12

• Options
    Do a fast course then!!!  Roth anyone?