Options

I'm thinking of doing it when I'm abroad...

2»

Comments

• Options
    PS One wthing- running in Portugal is challenging as it is hilly. When I go on holiday and plan to run I almost always look at Google Maps and also Map my Run and try to plot out a course...it helps if you have a GPS watch as well so you know your mileage.
    Lisbon was hilly but I just ran up the main tree lined boulevard to the park at the topend, did about 10 laps at the top, then back down... Porto easier as you can follow a path along the riverside for some distance- flat and easy. If it is a trecking type holiday I do swap easy runs for longer walks as well. Enjoy!
  • Options
    One thing sometimes to watch out for is the quality of the pavements and roads abroad.

Uneven kerbs and potholes, zealous motorists/moped riders etc. I went over the edge of a non-existent kerb in Greece last year and sustained a stress fracture.
  • Options

I always run on holiday, whoever I go with usually think's I'm mad but they know that already anyway image Try to get out and back before 9am so it's not too hot. Not so good with a hangover, or indeed if you rolled home at 6am, but I usually stop drinking a few hours before I head back to the hotel anyway (so that I can run the next morning!) I usually just do an out-and-back route so I don't get lost, or have a walk out on an afternoon to try and find new places to go.

I like to go along the beach as I live nowhere near one, done this at both Turkey and Crete and the place was beautiful at that time of the day. Saw a few other folks out running too, so you will most likely not be alone! Usually swim around 4-5pm too. The last three holidays I have been on I have actually lost weight while over there, probably due to not being sat on my backside all day eating flapjacks image

People will comment, call you sad for running when you're on holiday, but it's a hobby, and you do stuff you enjoy when you're on holiday.

Re: training for events - just put it down as an easy week, I never do more than about 5 miles as I just get too hot and dehydrated.

• Options
    I'm another fan of the get up early approach. It means you get to feel smug and virtuous all day. Agree too about watching out for the surfaces - from experience, other countries seem to be extra keen on concrete pavements rather than tarmac, which are harder on the legs.
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭

LB: I'm in Portugal mid to end July. I'm staying 60miles north of Lisbon on the coast. I've run often out there. Easiest thing to do is to use Google Maps and plan a few routes. If its a relatively quiet area you should have no problems, the Portuguese are generally friendly (but will probably think anyone out running is a complete nutter).

Its probably going to be hot in July, so an early morning run followed by lying in the swimming pool always seems like a good plan for the day.

Around the area I stay there are plenty of dirt tracks to run on which are virtually traffic free. Don't foget they drive on the wrong side of the road.image

• Options

MF - I just like the fact that you pointed out they drive on the WRONG side of the road, rather than "the other side"!!!!

I will follow your advice and go early in the morning, then I get to feel all smug like Running Rodent says! image

• Options
    I`ve run all over! At least try it. I recommend perusing a few maps and wandering about a bit for the first few days whilst getting acclimatised. You`ll then have an idea where and what part of the day to run. Some of the best runs I`ve done have been early morning in Gran Cnaria, Portugal and Egypt.
  • Options

Depends how much you like running i guess, i just got back from Sardinia, i only ran 6 times in 2 weeks (usually run 5-6 times  a week), but i did 8m, 31m, 7m, 13m, 8m, 24m, most of which was up and down a 1500ft hill from sea level.

So this was all way off schedule, played by ear to adjust for effort and the heat against how i'd normally run. Did all my runs early morning to avoid the heat - unlike Turkey last year, full afternoon sun will wear you down if your not acclimatised.

• Options

Call me predictable

Hashing around the Algarve

The website's down at the moment, but if you e-mail them they'll definitely contact you.  A great bunch, and me and Blouse had a brilliant evening with them

If it's somewhere else in Portugal just let me know where and I'll find the most local bunch of nutters - ahem - sorry, athletes

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Interesting thread proving that there are a lot of obsessive types here and that includes me.I ran before skiing at Les Arcs earlier this year -altitude hills snow- perfect marathon training.Add Canada, LA, Spain ,Barbados, Antigua to the list .All without incident too.
  • Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

I've run while away. Went to belgium last year for 'grasspop' Was lucky that it was near a place called Mol that had a running club with lots of planned runs of varrying distances. Was unlucky that Belgium is very flat and all the runs were on roads and were just about the most boring runs I have ever made in my life.

Ran from Dessel to Turnhout (via Ravels) along a canal path which was advertised as being very picturesque and popular. Big lie. Flat and flat and flat with trees planted at regular intervals. Bit like running on an open air treadmill. Sorry Belgium.

Still, the music was good!

• Options

As the weather is supposed to do some serious heating up next week, I think I'll get some practice in!image

I'm just gald that my shoosies are very light because I don't want them eating into my 20kg weight allowance!

It's been 37 degrees in Portugal this week....image

• Options
     Took my kit to mallorca last september  , only went out every other day but always went early , anywhere between 6am and 9 am . I imagined the locals and hotel staff muttering there goes that crazy brit especially on days that i was up at the crack of dawn but i just carried on and waved with a quick      " hola " . Then back to have a breakfast before going to the town or the beach .
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Run on holiday? I'm running the Snowdonia marathon this October, so my holiday is camping in North Wales so I can train on the course. So my holiday is based around my running image
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

I'm going to Spain for a week in October and I'm planning on running, drinking, sleeping and ur well you get the picture image

mapmyrun is always good for planning some routes before you go image

I ran in NY earlier in the year and loved it - even though the first time it was so cold even to breathe hurt my chest and the second time I was there I was 2 days post marathon! I am officially mad though image